• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

? Approx value of Hemi Swapped '63 Belvedere?

All in all I still like it ! Be proud to own and drive it.
This post kinda sounds like when I had a 66 Charger.We replaced the Poly 318 with a 360. Nice looking car.First car show I took it to I was chastised that the car should have a Hemi in it. My response "You buy it and I'll put it in " Everybody has a opinion.

That's between me & the DMV. This isn't my first rodeo, I know how things go on online forums. If I disclose what I paid some folks will mock me, saying I'm a sucker that got ripped off, some will say I ruthlessly stole it, and others will say that somehow it's market value is affected by my purchase price. But it does not.

So I'm not going to open that can o' worms. I'll just say that some folks here would have bought it & some would have passed.

and yet you came here made a topic asking what its worth.
and still cant give us really much for details...
caddy seats a rack and pinion steering but drum brakes and oyes,the motor.
you went into detail on the motor...several times now.

and then when one of the Big fish here asks you again what you paid for it,
you posted that for a reply?
lol.
you should have read my original post more carefully,
cause i warned you bout being honest with these guys.
now you just look like a Flipper....not a proud owner.
a proud owner would have shared every detail he could think of....
good luck with your Sale.......

reminds me of wantonebad.

Me too. I am private about income, assets, prices paid or received, FICO score & such matters. Ultimately the market decides what's what.

Paid 3500 in 1988. Untold zillions spent last 31 years Painted In 1989. Agreed value Insurance 25k. Not concerned about market value. Invested around 7k recently for efi done right. Transparent so others can laugh, learn, or just be informed.
B0213C7D-D77D-4A9D-A286-748B38867693.jpeg

BeaterRus-------- I'm holding nothing back. Me and the car have been together for a total of 40 minutes! I saw it, bought it, and had it towed to my shop. My only drive has been backing it into a parking spot there. My total experience & knowledge with this Belvedere is what I've posted here.

I don't disclose SPECIFIC financial stuff and I won't ask anyone here what they paid for their car. Or you for yours. That's YOUR business, not mine. But I'm happy to discuss general values on makes & models I know a lot about.

Now if you asked me for an approximate value of a typical 3/2 house in a neighborhood I'm familiar with I would give you a fairly decent estimate. Regardless of what you paid. Because the market does not care what you paid. A tough lesson for many folks, depending on when they bought.

My question was about the general value of cars like the one I just bought, from people presumably more experienced in this than me. I made it very clear that I was not seeking an accurate appraisal at all, because of yet I have few details. A range is fine. Hagerty insures for Stated Value. And there is no modified car value guide so I guess I will throw a dart & cover it for around 25K. And I've decided to be content with the amount I paid as long as she turns out to be in decent shape, mechanically. If not, I'll be bummed.

Sorry if I offended you.

Dennis H ---- For insurance I would guess a higher value for that pretty R/T than for the mixmaster I have. But I don't know what the guides say on that one.

Have you got photos of the interior and underside of the car? Personally I wouldn't pay more than $12-$15k for a car like that, unless it was really done properly. From those limited pics you posted, it seems a bit of a dog's breakfast.

Have you got photos of the interior and underside of the car? Personally I wouldn't pay more than $12-$15k for a car like that, unless it was really done properly. From those limited pics you posted, it seems a bit of a dog's breakfast.
funny,i thought much the same,depending on whats been done to it underneath.
perhaps he will provide more details later.
i started at 12,500
after reading some of his replies im guesstimating he paid between 15-18 for the car.
hes also stated hes insuring it for 25 large....
i run Hagerty too,and if i had to make a claim,
im pretty sure id have to pony up proof that my car was worth 25 grand.

Yes, I certainly don't know much about it at this point. But except for the odd seats (which are installed well w/ all functions working) and the small aftermarket steering wheel, the parts seem to be well selected with care taken in the work.

But it was NOT built in the contemporary way. It wasn't built to be "correct" to any particular standard, to maximize profits, or to impress judges (or The Web) It's a hotrod built an the owner to please himself. I don't think there was a checklist involved. No road map of items needed to meet a particular genre.

I guess you could say that he was not "doing a build" He was just improving his car, over time, as he saw fit.

Btw, I've never had a total loss through Hagerty. But I did have a claim for a couple grand on an accident. They paid, no problem. They are great folks there.

I was thinking about that "dog's breakfast" comment. It's not that at all. Nor is it Gordon Ramsy's breakfast of Eggs Benedict on seared polenta either.

It's a working man's breakfast: Bacon & eggs. Honest fare, no pretense.

I have my GTX insured at $25k. It is not a numbers matching car. In fact, it's all over the place. But it has a period correct 440. And A833 4-speed. And Dana rear. And it's perfect for my use. Shows decent at small local shows. Drives well. And most importantly? It can be upgraded with no real sin of altering a numbers matcher. Not sure the YouTube link works? But thought I would try.

So...are you going to post any more photos/information of the car or you are you happy with the cost estimates you've been provided so far? We're a few days and 3 pages into this thread, with no more information to go off.

tenor.gif

Trying to give a value on a car on the internet with limited information and photos is asking a bit much. Too many differing opinions, and everyone has one.

Sorry, I have no more info to post yet. The car is behind the gate at my shop & Harold won't be back to work until Monday. Plus I don't know where my place is in the conga line of work he has lined up. But per my experience with him he'll at least get it up on the lift sometime during the week. I'm having him fix a leak at the Torqueflite's pan, bleeding the brakes / fixing sponginess, and addressing whatever else she needs.

It's killing me! I drive by and see the car behind the chain link, unable to drive it! Aaargh!

You wrote that it's at a local shop, knowledgeable, reputable mechanic, doing what it needs to get it going.
I suggest that once it's safe to drive and tuned to the point where it runs well enough to let you know what kind of punch the HEMI has, you drive it and see how you feel about it. With a warmed over dual quad HEMI under the hood, and rack and pinion steering, it may well be a great driving experience! When you pop the hood at a car show, the HEMI (Gen 1 or 2) always is impressive with those tell tale GIANT cylinder heads, spark plug wires through the center of the valve covers...
That will give you an idea of what it's worth TO YOU, (other than the price you paid, which it was obviously worth or you wouldn't have bought it).
On the other hand, IF you look at it like a piece of property that you got a killer deal on and saw the car as an opportunity to make some money, honestly I have no interest in helping you pursue that goal.
Let's see if you check back in with a thread or post after it's tuned and safe to drive. I think then we will know a LOT more about your character, at least regarding the muscle/classic car hobby.
I'm here because of my passion for muscle cars, and the incredible experience of driving, racing, and showing it, the rich history and legacy of the era, the camaraderie of finding other enthusiasts, and sharing those experiences. THAT is the heart and soul of this hobby afaic, and the experience of turning back time that I get when I immerse myself in all of the things I do with my car, and my wife's GTO.
20181003_162325.jpg
20181003_162309.jpg

Well I may be biased some because I love the 63 Plymouth as its my favorite of all cars and that's why I own this one. I love them because I love the looks of them and I loved how good the Max Wedge eng runs. I think yours would be worth more with a Max Wedge eng in it of course even if its not a real Max Wedge as mine is not a real maxie car. I cant tell by the pics how great or not the paint is but it looks to be a nice hotrod 63 Plymouth. And to me your not going to build that car for less then 15k so myself I would say its worth a good 15k or more to the right person who likes the cool first gen Hemi in it. Prices seem to be a bit down to me from what I have seen lately but I feel its worth at least 15k as long as its in as good a shape as it looks. I feel you got yourself a nice cool muscle car/hotrod there so I would be out driving and enjoying it ! Good luck with it , Ron

414222574.jpg

Sorry, I have no more info to post yet. The car is behind the gate at my shop & Harold won't be back to work until Monday. Plus I don't know where my place is in the conga line of work he has lined up. But per my experience with him he'll at least get it up on the lift sometime during the week. I'm having him fix a leak at the Torqueflite's pan, bleeding the brakes / fixing sponginess, and addressing whatever else she needs.

It's killing me! I drive by and see the car behind the chain link, unable to drive it! Aaargh!

best thing you can do,is to be there when Harold puts the car up on the lift,
so you can do a walkaround and see what you have condition wise and equipment wise.
its also an excellent opportunity to take pics of the underside of the car,
so we can help you with upgrades or whatever advice.

ps,small list of items to check for
fuel lines from tank to motor-what size are they?
are they big enough to feed a Hemi or the original tiny lines for a smallblock?
if so,
plan on changing those or your big shiny Hemi will run out of fuel when you are stomping it.

grab the front wheel/tire and check ball joints and steering these are usually in need of some repairs.

leaf springs,are they old ones or recently replaced?
springs make a huge difference in your car.

last but deffo not least,is it the Original factory wiring harness,and if so,
carefully check it and make sure its not all cracked/insulation and consider doing the Ammeter gauge fix if it hasnt been done yet.

Auto Transport Service
Back