• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are your kids car people?

As Hey-O mentioned, I’d like to find a buyer for my old car that likes it somewhere in the ballpark I do. That is if I’m able to do still of sound mind and body…before my offspring will get rid of it with all my other **** in the garage and basement as fast as they can. Spent years of blood, sweat, cuss words, and cash, restoring it. Guys doing this have a common thread; car becomes part of your soul.

I’ve posted this before about selling my cherished ’67 GTO eons ago to a dude I thought liked the car. Come to find every time I spotted it around town it was more trashed! First the rear stoved in, then the front, later a fender. One time spotted it in a mall parking lot and walked up to it. Filthy-shitty looking. His girlfriend was in the passenger seat with her feet up on the dash. Interior looked like a trash can with garbage strewn about. The ****-wad came back while I was walking around it. Was I pissed. I said “What da **** have you done to my car? When I sold it to you, ya could eat off the gas pedal!” He replied “Ain’t your car anymore.” Replied, you like living like a pig? ******* regret handing you the keys.” Later I saw it sitting outside in a dealer’s junk lot…more trashed. Went in to ask what they wanted for it, 750 bucks! I told the dipshit I sold it mint for a grand a year ago!

Made a pledge back then I’d never sell another one of my cherished rides to anyone within a 100 miles so I’d never see it again.

Strangest thing. Younger kid chose a Chevy corvair for his high school car. Did a lot of work on it and used it for 4years. Now had a really decent mustang. Older kid would run away if a wrench was in my hand…..then he went to work in a race car shop as a gopher. Now he builds race trucks? Still runs from the garage if I have a wrench in my hand though
Corvairs are cooler then a camaro or a corvette IMO (oh my, I might have started a fire there!)

I will one day get a kick out of giving it away to a deserving young man.
Hey-O, you have mentioned that in another post once. It will be a very lucky young man to get that beautiful Cornet.
My kids don't really have interest in the Plymouth, my grandson and granddaughter love it but I am not sure that will last.

The Wife and I wanted kids but it just didn't happen. I've wanted to have a kid or a protégé to pass along my skills, tools and knowledge but.....
I have a brother-in-law that seemed like a car guy. He showed a LOT of interest in getting an A body in 2006. By Valentines day 2007 I found a 72 Duster to fix up. By 2020-21 he realized that he would never finish the car, so I bought him out. The car has been in my yard the whole time.
Greg,
You truly have a big heart, you play games, but you're not that hard to figure out. You have a great life and wife, the rest you'll figure out. Do what I did, I found a young man that just loves wood working. He asked me questions about everything that is wood. After years of questioning and the two of us working on things for his house I gave him the better part of my wood working tools. I even gave him my whole shop vacuum system. The car is for another day.

Last edited:
I’m 1 for 4.

My son, who grew up mostly with his mother (divorce) has the skill and desire. He’s into Hondas. Other daughters could care less.

I didn’t know how good of a wrench he was until he swapped a 5 speed into his auto civic 5 years ago. Then I knew we were onto something.

Corvairs are cooler then a camaro or a corvette IMO (oh my, I might have started a fire there!)

the corvair met an untimely end though. Girl in a maxima turned left in front of it. A 50 mph hit

5B94735C-27EC-42A0-A139-3F9CB202635E.jpeg

D59D0974-75AE-4256-A328-E2D737AD3720.jpeg

my daughter has already claimed my dart and my grandson my duster. so far my second grandson is stuck with my miata. i'm 68, don't know if i'll get a third mopar built for him. he wants one.

My daughter is but that's about it, she enjoys classics and even has her own that will soon be started. My boys are all 14 and under so there's time but no signs yet. Unless something changes she gets my car when I can no longer use it.

2 sons & a daughter all own Mustangs. I did something wrong!! But, they all love cars.

4 kids 2 girls and 2 boys. The boys maybe. Not same interest I had when I was there age

Hey-O, you have mentioned that in another post once. It will be a very lucky young man to get that beautiful Cornet.
My kids don't really have interest in the Plymouth, my grandson and granddaughter love it but I am not sure that will last.
My daughter has no idea about cars and couldn't care less. That leaves no one, so when I stop driving it, I'll figure out who to gift it to. I'll get a bigger kick out of giving it away, than the money could bring if I sold it would.

Used to race and go to car shows before, and when my kids were young. When they were teenagers I tried to get them interested, but they never seemed to enjoy much about it. Had hopes that my kids would be interested in cars when they came of age, but it didn't happen.

Decades later, one of my assumptions is that when they grew up in 1990s cars weren't such a big deal to most people as auto makers struggled to meet emission standards and battled against the Asian market, as opposed to how it was in the 60s when I was young and the American market seemed dynamic and ever improving. I remember even as a kid looking forward to the new model year in September, going to the auto show; it was about when we went back to school.

My "media" influences were movies like Robert Mitchum's Thunder Road, and block busters like Goldfinger. My kids, it was Harry Potter, and Game Boy units.

I liked cars when I was young because it seemed like I was part of something big and exciting; I like cars now because it reminds me of being young. I know there are some young people interested in cars and I think that is a good thing, but they seem a smaller portion of the population than before, and cars don't seem to be a major part of the overall present culture, just an aspect of one many countless influences. Or I could be wrong.

As Hey-O mentioned, I’d like to find a buyer for my old car that likes it somewhere in the ballpark I do. That is if I’m able to do still of sound mind and body…before my offspring will get rid of it with all my other **** in the garage and basement as fast as they can. Spent years of blood, sweat, cuss words, and cash, restoring it. Guys doing this have a common thread; car becomes part of your soul.

I’ve posted this before about selling my cherished ’67 GTO eons ago to a dude I thought liked the car. Come to find every time I spotted it around town it was more trashed! First the rear stoved in, then the front, later a fender. One time spotted it in a mall parking lot and walked up to it. Filthy-shitty looking. His girlfriend was in the passenger seat with her feet up on the dash. Interior looked like a trash can with garbage strewn about. The ****-wad came back while I was walking around it. Was I pissed. I said “What da **** have you done to my car? When I sold it to you, ya could eat off the gas pedal!” He replied “Ain’t your car anymore.” Replied, you like living like a pig? ******* regret handing you the keys.” Later I saw it sitting outside in a dealer’s junk lot…more trashed. Went in to ask what they wanted for it, 750 bucks! I told the dipshit I sold it mint for a grand a year ago!

Made a pledge back then I’d never sell another one of my cherished rides to anyone within a 100 miles so I’d never see it again.
Dude...
That's one sad story. To pour heart and soul
into something just to watch it wither and
die.
I've had many offers to sell my jeep that
in pieces, spent hours on the garage floor.
My son now maintains it, and respects what
efforts it took to get it to it's present
condition. I put the title in his name. He
won't even consider selling it.
photo.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back