• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Asphalt millings for driveway

Ive used millings at work, primarily as a cost savings to the taxpayers. I have done several parking lots that get used mainly in the summertime. My suggestion to you is if you can wait before sealing it, wait until next summer is over. Right now get a roller and pack it as good as you can, and let mother nature heat it up. There is enough residual tar in the millings that it will bind together especially if packed tight. If your millings have decent sized chunks, break them up, otherwise those will be the first spots that break free and ruin whatever type of sealer you put on. Hopefully your subsurface is firm even with 5 inches, you will get small ruts as the millings compress, especially if you are stopped and crank the steering wheel to move the car or truck while parked on top of it.

Nothing wrong with that meterial. Vegetation will grow through it if you have poor soil below. The only way to get around that its to put a geotextile down before.Get some heavy compaction on there(like a pad foot roller) that will help need it together. Nice thing about it is you won't track mud or dust into the house like you would with normal granular materials. Plus when you're ready you can cut it down a couple inches and pave it. You cannot seal recycled asphalt unless the others who are suggesting it are referring to just spraying oil on it. And the others who mentions I think diesel....diesel eats asphalt and will only make a mess.

If you oil it broadcast some small stone and roll it. Will help keep the oil from tracking.

Nothing wrong with that meterial. Vegetation will grow through it if you have poor soil below. The only way to get around that its to put a geotextile down before.Get some heavy compaction on there(like a pad foot roller) that will help need it together. Nice thing about it is you won't track mud or dust into the house like you would with normal granular materials. Plus when you're ready you can cut it down a couple inches and pave it. You cannot seal recycled asphalt unless the others who are suggesting it are referring to just spraying oil on it. And the others who mentions I think diesel....diesel eats asphalt and will only make a mess.
The guy that installed it and my research aka google recommends hitting it will diesel because it breaks it down/melts it and forms a kind of top sealed surface. I red neck rolled it , great, but still powdery. hit it with another 30 gal. of diesel and rolled ( truck with 6 55 gal barrels full of water in bed) huge difference. looks like a very old poorly done road surface now. would oil do same? i am done with it , before it becomes a superfund site. i like it but would argue with anyone saying its a green product...

The guy that installed it and my research aka google recommends hitting it will diesel because it breaks it down/melts it and forms a kind of top sealed surface. I red neck rolled it , great, but still powdery. hit it with another 30 gal. of diesel and rolled ( truck with 6 55 gal barrels full of water in bed) huge difference. looks like a very old poorly done road surface now. would oil do same? i am done with it , before it becomes a superfund site. i like it but would argue with anyone saying its a green product...
Never have used diesel for the reason it breaks down the oil. Asphalt in its new state has only 5-5.5% oil in it. When roads are milled up it's due to roads that are deteriating, and but that it's the oil that has be basically sucked out of it from the weather, sun, and traffic. A rubber tire might help but a pad foot roller Probably 8-10 tonne would be better and making sure to add water to it while compacting to keep it from drying out and segregating. You would see as you compact that you get less and less imprints from the pads, to the point where they would barely mark the surface. At that point you could probably put the rubber tires on to tighten the surface. Nothing wrong with what you did. in my opinion a much better option then gravel.

Auto Transport Service
Back