• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who has some some tips for patching an asphalt driveway?

Kern Dog

Life is full of turns. Build your car to handle.
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:06 AM
Reaction score
My driveway has some cracks and holes that need to be patched. I know that you can buy 5 gallon buckets of stuff to plug the holes so I'm leaning that way.
I plan to eventually have the entire driveway sealed but I'm not sure when I will be able to. It has been in the low 70s for daily highs and mid 40s overnight.

1698816983284.png

1698817003108.png

Until I can get around to applying the sealer, is there something I can spread on the fresh repaired areas to tone down the black? You know how old asphalt looks...I'd like to smear or spread something on the fresh stuff to make it less obvious.

If you're going thru the effort and
expense to patch and repair on a
temporary basis, does it really
matter if it looks temporary?
I guess you could find a good quality
spray paint for outdoor use that
closely matches the original surface
and touch it up when needed. Don't
know how well it would last though.
Unless your home is listed with
Better Homes and Gardens, I
wouldn't worry about it too much.
Just my opinion, of course.
I've a concrete driveway that has
repaired cracks that don't match
colorwise. Most understand today's
outrageous construction costs of
repair and or replacement. Your goal
is to prevent any further damage until
such a time when you can have your
driveway redone.

I will not be the one to repave this driveway. I may be the one to reseal it though.
We plan on selling the house as soon as we buy another in Arizona. I need it to look presentable but I'm not spending huge money to make it look perfect.

I've watched some videos. I figured that I'd buy a tamper. I have hand held propane and MAPP gas torches too.
All my years as a Carpenter, I focused on wood framing and didn't pay much attention to the other aspects. I really wish that I did. All those years I could have been asking questions and learning from the electricians, plumbers, concrete guys, heating and air dudes, etc.
I was so focused on doing the best job that I could, I didn't think to soak up knowledge about everything else.
While I am trying to reverse 19 years of neglect and modernize this place to give it curb appeal, I've just used basic common sense with the stuff that is outside my knowledge. Drywall, paint work, rain gutters and downspouts and next is the asphalt stuff. I hate the idea of paying someone to do what I should be able to do myself.

Last edited:
I will not be the one to repave this driveway. I may be the one to reseal it though.
We plan on selling the house as soon as we buy another in Arizona. I need it to look presentable but I'm not spending huge money to make it look perfect.
I understand completely.
Moving is difficult enough without
the worries of how your home will
present itself to potential buyers.
I live in the fifth house that I've owned,
and like cars, there's an *** for every
couch. What you perceive as
imperfection may be something a
potential buyer is willing to take on.
You, having worked n the construction
business, have a trained eye as to how
a home should look. As do I.
I've never sold a house at a loss.

Hopefully the propane torch you have is like the one I linked.. Cause if it's a little one like can be used for plumbing (though the Mapp torch is a much better choice) you'll grow old while waiting for the torch to do anything.... I use the bigger torch for burning weeds, lighting fires & I've used it on asphalt at my old house... Works pretty well... On the tamper, I have a friend with a gas powered tamper... It helps...

Oh. BTW I've seen your place.... Most potential buyers are gonna love it....

Thank you!
The realtor we talked with said the value here is the location and lot size...the house is almost inconsequential. He spoke of how some people buy properties and just level the old house and build some big mansion in it's place.
That is why I'm trying to at least make the place look decent and not neglected.
I'd be upset if the new owner tears down the shop...I built this thing in 2006!

S 40.JPG

Hopefully the propane torch you have is like the one I linked.. Cause if it's a little one like can be used for plumbing (though the Mapp torch is a much better choice) you'll grow old while waiting for the torch to do anything.... I use the bigger torch for burning weeds, lighting fires & I've used it on asphalt at my old house... Works pretty well... On the tamper, I have a friend with a gas powered tamper... It helps...
I love my Mapp torch!
I've even used it on my truck bed to
burn the wood grain.
20230519_193740.jpg
Good advice, KD.

Tip #1 don’t hire a gypsy to repair your driveway.
...or a UK resident on holiday......or a pikey....I hate pikey's

Don't use that cold asphalt stuff....it will just crumble away forever. Use should be able to buy some sort of liquid tar type sealant to 'prime the edges and base once compacted sufficiently. Might be an idea to see if any contractors in the area are doing a driveway....see if you can piggy-back on them and maybe ask them to throw a bit your way.

Thank you!
The realtor we talked with said the value here is the location and lot size...the house is almost inconsequential. He spoke of how some people buy properties and just level the old house and build some big mansion in it's place.
That is why I'm trying to at least make the place look decent and not neglected.
I'd be upset if the new owner tears down the shop...I built this thing in 2006!

View attachment 1549493
I don't think I'd be tearing that down.
Might consider an asphalt driveway
at the same time by the new owner
as he's gonna be replacing your old
one. Nice work!

...or an UK resident on holiday......or a pikey....I hate pikey's

Don't use that cold asphalt stuff....it will just crumble away forever. Use should be able to buy some sort of liquid tar type sealant to 'prime the edges and base once compacted sufficiently. Might be an idea to see if any contractors in the area are doing a driveway....see if you can piggy-back on them and maybe ask them to throw a bit your way.

Good idea Kiwi. I've seen asphalt
contractors dump excess losds.

Or just get some ready-mix concrete in bags and mix in some black oxide to tint it up a little.
I thought about this too. I've worked with concrete before but never asphalt.
What exactly is "black oxide" ?

I thought about this too. I've worked with concrete before but never asphalt.
What exactly is "black oxide" ?
A lot of the box stores will have plastic jars of "tint" right next to the bags of Sackrete
to be used to color the ceee-ment. :)

Auto Transport Service
Back