• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Attention 1970 Fresh Air Hood Owners Needed

Moparfiend

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:19 PM
Reaction score
I would like to know if my air cleaner will clear my new AMD GTX/Roadrunner fresh air hood. I am not able to test fit the hood right now as I am working alone and don’t have anyone that could lend me a hand.

I was wondering how my drop base air cleaner sits as compared to your air cleaner in your fresh air set up. If mine is equal or lower it would indicate I am probably ok.

Mine appears to sit just above the inner/lower hood line. Maybe an inch?

Her is what mine looks like. Too high? . Can anyone take a picture like mine and post here for me to qualitatively compare?

Greatly appreciated guys!

MF

IMG_8386.jpeg

70 Bee with RamCharger hood dont know if this help.

20230717_195759.jpg

20230717_195805.jpg

20230717_195818.jpg

Thanks Dave very cool car and set up! Love it!! It seems for that assembly the air cleaner sits at about the lower lip level in the back and towards the front its a bit higher but seems still at the lower lip level or below. It’s a different design but worth seeing. Will be interesting to see how that compares to a GTX OR Roadrunner!

Thanks so much for taking the time to snap those off! Great car!!

factory intake? After market air cleaner?

1970 roadrunner pic
1689640369367.png
does look taller

1689641851387.png

I dunno....that "looks" 2"-3" too tall. The 70 air grabber hoods are REALLY tight
1. 340 helps (shorter)
2. Aftermarket intake hurts a lot (taller)
3. Holley hurts (taller)
I will throw a few ideas out there because I see you don't have the hood on the car.
a. If you're just trying to drive it, maybe don't install the fiberglass box underneath the hood?
b. The bottom of the trap door (passenger corner) dips down surprisingly low into the engine compartment
c. A GTX 440 air grabber will help (1" shorter than the 340/383 air cleaner) assuming you want your airgrabber hood to work.
d. I think you'll need one of those Edelbrock "triangle low-profile with foam filter" air cleaners, even with the drop base, if you want to use that carb/intake.
1689642302834.png

factory intake? After market air cleaner?
Mopar M1 single plane high rise manifold, aftermarket drop base filter with a 3 inch element. I could change to a 2” if needed.

View attachment 1495906
I dunno....that "looks" 2"-3" too tall. The 70 air grabber hoods are REALLY tight
1. 340 helps (shorter)
2. Aftermarket intake hurts a lot (taller)
3. Holley hurts (taller)
I will throw a few ideas out there because I see you don't have the hood on the car.
a. If you're just trying to drive it, maybe don't install the fiberglass box underneath the hood?
b. The bottom of the trap door (passenger corner) dips down surprisingly low into the engine compartment
c. A GTX 440 air grabber will help (1" shorter than the 340/383 air cleaner) assuming you want your airgrabber hood to work.
d. I think you'll need one of those Edelbrock "triangle low-profile with foam filter" air cleaners, even with the drop base, if you want to use that carb/intake.
View attachment 1495912
Thanks PB!
A. Not at this time will I be adding any other FreshAir parts. Just the door with an electric actuator.
B. I’ll look out for the door swing! I didn’t think about that as well.
C. I thought the GTX used the same Freshair components as the RR? Do they run a 2 inch element? Wouldn’t a drop base be the lowest filter assembly I can get???

D. I had one of those filters on my 1970 Z28 and the foam disintegrated into the engine. Will not use it. I want to use a more traditional one if possible.

To me it looks like the Dodge sits low and plymouth sits higher. I did have a 750 Holley DP on my Bee when I bought it and it fit no problem under the hood. .I think the manifold is biting you. Did you compare height on old intake with the new intake?

To me it looks like the Dodge sits low and plymouth sits higher. I did have a 750 Holley DP on my Bee when I bought it and it fit no problem under the hood. .I think the manifold is biting you. Did you compare height on old intake with the new intake?
Hi Dave it is! I am talking with the guys over ay Abodies and one was nice enough to furnish me with this gem of a picture. Seems like the manifold is at least an inch higher? What do you think?

IMG_8424.jpeg

1970 RR ,to me it looks even or low. I think you will be to high.
1689717172977.png

Thanks PB!
A. Not at this time will I be adding any other FreshAir parts. Just the door with an electric actuator.
B. I’ll look out for the door swing! I didn’t think about that as well.
C. I thought the GTX used the same Freshair components as the RR? Do they run a 2 inch element? Wouldn’t a drop base be the lowest filter assembly I can get???

D. I had one of those filters on my 1970 Z28 and the foam disintegrated into the engine. Will not use it. I want to use a more traditional one if possible.
B. Now that I think of it, the corner of trap door hits the big oval air cleaner (all 69 air cleaners and the 70 six pack air cleaner) The round top 70-71 4bbl air cleaner should clear the trap door since it's smaller
C. For 70-71, the 383/340 air grabber air cleaner base is 1" taller than a 440 air grabber air cleaner base
D. Edelbrock triangle air cleaner - Yes, one "cough" and that foam burns up. I used to carry a spare filter element

In general, if you have the hood on the car, couldn't you lower it down VERY slowly and see if/where it hits? Maybe take of the hood latch so you can lay the hood down all the way without the last little "shove" to latch it?

B. Now that I think of it, the corner of trap door hits the big oval air cleaner (all 69 air cleaners and the 70 six pack air cleaner) The round top 70-71 4bbl air cleaner should clear the trap door since it's smaller
C. For 70-71, the 383/340 air grabber air cleaner base is 1" taller than a 440 air grabber air cleaner base
D. Edelbrock triangle air cleaner - Yes, one "cough" and that foam burns up. I used to carry a spare filter element

In general, if you have the hood on the car, couldn't you lower it down VERY slowly and see if/where it hits? Maybe take of the hood latch so you can lay the hood down all the way without the last little "shove" to latch it?
The hood is off the car as I just received it in from AMD. The car is freshly painted and I can’t do this myself. I’ll have to wait till I can get some help test fitting it.

Ok battling the 117F heat here. My garage is a tad warm lol. I was able to pull off the carburetor spacer and it made a significant difference as see here. I am now feeling more positive about this. The one thing that I may still have to do is buy another intake manifold. This would be for 3 reasons.

1. Will gain 3/4” more clearance. The Eddy Performer 2176 is shorter. This is the least rational reason but 3/4 now is a big deal as I am closer to where I need to be.

2. There is proper street vacuum access without having to cut into a nice race manifold. Again not a super major contributing factor.

3. Its a better carb for the street. Should not sacrifice lower end performance where I’ll need most often. This is the main reason.

Pics

IMG_8433.jpeg

IMG_8432.jpeg

IMG_8431.jpeg

IMG_8430.jpeg

IMG_8429.jpeg

If you want to run a regular round air cleaner go get a drop base from summit and it will fit. A real air grabber base won't fit with that intake. I'd rather have the performance of the intake rather than the OE grabber base.

If you want to run a regular round air cleaner go get a drop base from summit and it will fit. A real air grabber base won't fit with that intake. I'd rather have the performance of the intake rather than the OE grabber base.
The pic above is a drop base. Those 440 air cleaners are like $500 way too much for a filter for me. Hopefully I’ll be able to test fit the hood a d see where I am at.

Auto Transport Service
Back