• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bad vibrations

Maybe you can give us a hint. May help someone avoid a similar problem.

If it were your hard earned money that you spent on a new rotating assembly would you be a happy customer when your crank showed up looking like the same used up, patched up stuff you were trying to avoid by buying new parts?
No.
True it's a bad situation.

I think you have made the right call to replace the crankshaft IMO. If Mallory had been added to the counterweights parallel to the crank axis it would have resolved that problem and added the weight back safely.
I saw an engine that had been balanced the way yours had been done - it was at a friends shop and I am not sure who did the work. The weight had been in the rear counterweight and had come out - it blew the whole of the rear of the engine off. Evidently it blew the front off the transmission also.

He will have his reasons for not naming the shop publicly. If you still need to source parts from them or for some other reason it is not worth getting in to a possible **** fight.
You just suck it up and get on with it.

If it were your hard earned money that you spent on a new rotating assembly would you be a happy customer when your crank showed up looking like the same used up, patched up stuff you were trying to avoid by buying new parts?

68 HEMI GTS
You sir are showing great restraint.... Still haven't put a name to the company that hasn't made it right...

My post may have been misunderstood. They did supply me a new balanced crankshaft. It felt somewhat reluctant but in the end they made it right. It took 2 road trips across the state as well as lots of labor, supplies, and gaskets though to fix the initial screw up.

I am no fan of weights welded in like that. The centrifugal force throws them out and the do around the same damage to the engine as an artillery round.
Those cracks will often occur when welding dissimilar metals and cooling to quickly and not keeping the inert gas after flow going.
You would think they should have added some Mallory to the counterweights.

I seen a small block ford chuck Mallory out to the counter weights on a dyno that were installed radially. Destroyed everything. When I pulled the old crank out and seen that it was a hell no for me.. I even told them I didn’t want it done that way.

Definitely did the right thing not running a radially balanced crank! The way the drill is set up on the balancing machine I could see where adding weight that way would be simple, but that doesn't make it right! Doing it right is more time consuming. Pretty good article with some good info.
Crank Balancing Update - Engine Builder Magazine

My post may have been misunderstood. They did supply me a new balanced crankshaft. It felt somewhat reluctant but in the end they made it right. It took 2 road trips across the state as well as lots of labor, supplies, and gaskets though to fix the initial screw up.

I seen a small block ford chuck Mallory out to the counter weights on a dyno that were installed radially. Destroyed everything. When I pulled the old crank out and seen that it was a hell no for me.. I even told them I didn’t want it done that way.
Glad to here they made it good.

I was lacking confidence in the balance job on the new crank. Took it up to my buddies shop and spun it. Was 20 grams heavy on the front and just over 30 heavy on the back. I had a feeling it was a slam it out the door job..

I was lacking confidence in the balance job on the new crank. Took it up to my buddies shop and spun it. Was 20 grams heavy on the front and just over 30 heavy on the back. I had a feeling it was a slam it out the door job..
Jeez…

Yup, gotta love working with professionals.... Gives ya a warm fuzzy feeling....

What. Not the second time around??

It’s fixed, they at least left weight to come out this time.. lol
That’s crazy just the same. Good that you were able to check / correct locally. Should go well from here on out.

I am no fan of weights welded in like that. The centrifugal force throws them out and the do around the same damage to the engine as an artillery round.
Those cracks will often occur when welding dissimilar metals and cooling to quickly and not keeping the inert gas after flow going.
You would think they should have added some Mallory to the counterweights.
I had mallory metal put in a 426 hemi crank once , it was pressed in , and never gave us a problem in yrs of racing it , a failed thrust bearing finally got it < was my fault tho...

Stories like this are why i have a hard time trusting anyone to do work :( seems things like this happen all the time (not just cranks, just everything in general)

He will have his reasons for not naming the shop publicly. If you still need to source parts from them or for some other reason it is not worth getting in to a possible **** fight.
You just suck it up and get on with it.

If you really wanted to know there are enough clues in his past posts that you can probably figure it out...

I feel your pain (Literally) no motor yet since I sent it back for rebalance on 9/27......

I feel your pain (Literally) no motor yet since I sent it back for rebalance on 9/27......
I'd be on the phone often enough so maybe they would get it done. Remind them you waited to get you unbalanced motor and shouldn't work all the way through the line! Get a firm date,almost 4 months WTH to fix their F up.

Auto Transport Service
Back