• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Battery Disconnect and a Three Wire Alternator

Local time
5:56 PM
Reaction score
Does anyone have the wiring diagram for installing a battery kill switch with the three wire alternator?

65 Coronet with stock upgraded voltage regulator.

NHRA wants the battery disconnect to kill the engine. The only way to get that to work for me
was to install a toggle switch to shut off the alternator before they flipped the switch.

what am i missing?

Disconnect the negative battery post? --> no power to the coil

Need to kill batt and Ign1 circuit at the same time. So more than the diagram, you need a dual switch ( two inputs, two outputs )

Disconnect the negative battery post? --> no power to the coil

It won't work, alt keeps feeding both polarities.

Something like this, but can be spliced just right after the bulkhead and will be cutting not just coil but also regulator and everything from the Ign1 circuit.

Search it as 6 post kill switch

( I don't get the resistor there, but as far I have searched on web, it comes with the switch )

4430-TERMINALS-WIRING-1200w.jpg

Last edited:
or also

LA4578Diagram-720w.jpg

But the small gauge wire must be spliced into the Ign1 circuit, not the batt like diagram shows.

run the alt wire to a master cut off switch for alternator sold buy all race part suppliers.

Do a search for "battery disconnect", thread from couple months ago with a few diagrams in addition to the ones above.

Auto Transport Service
Back