• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Being misled by idiots

Yatzee

Local time
12:17 AM
Reaction score
It's little wonder some business's struggle to keep customers especially those who web-shop for their parts and accurate information. After recently replying to a post I went online to do some research on a certain problem another member was having. I was looking at a site that listed brake boosters and was surprised at their error. If you look down a couple products on this page you will notice the Features section inserts the word "vacuum". This is BS to the n'th degree and the specs must have been inserted by the vendor because the manufacturer is surely not that stupid. All units use hydraulic pressure. No wonder we're constantly returning things.

http://www.partsgeek.com/mmparts/brake_booster/gmc/g3500.html

Are you refering to this ? "Manufactured to store enough vacuum to provide full boost for two or three pedal applications"

Or this ?: "Ensures that the vehicle stops with the lightest touch of the brake pedal"

Are you refering to this ? "Manufactured to store enough vacuum to provide full boost for two or three pedal applications"

Or this ?: "Ensures that the vehicle stops with the lightest touch of the brake pedal"

The unit does not store vacuum or use it. The canister is charged with hydraulic fluid backed by a strong spring behind a piston. Wonder how many have bought this item by mistake.

Kind of sounds like a generic description that they might add to any brake booster they sell. It might even be added by some computer program that adds the description to any ad that has the words "brake booster". Of course it's wrong but I doubt that they have a mechanical engineer or even a certified parts guy editing their ads. Online auto parts is so competitive and their margins are so slim that they wouldn't spend the money. JMHO.

Kind of sounds like a generic description that they might add to any brake booster they sell. It might even be added by some computer program that adds the description to any ad that has the words "brake booster". Of course it's wrong but I doubt that they have a mechanical engineer or even a certified parts guy editing their ads. Online auto parts is so competitive and their margins are so slim that they wouldn't spend the money. JMHO.

You may be right but that's really not the issue. People put their lives on the line every day driving vehicles and count on getting the right part the first time. Someone obviously scrutinizes
adverts ( or not) before printing or posting and it strikes me funny that the first two are right and the rest not. Best you go check those meds you've been taking for the last two years especially if you feel like your going through menopause. Mistakes on national advertising like the web are really unacceptable and can cause a great deal of "end user" grief. I sent an e-mail to the source and they agreed it was misleading but offered no explanation. Did say they'd fix it A.S.A.P.

You may be right but that's really not the issue. People put their lives on the line every day driving vehicles and count on getting the right part the first time. Someone obviously scrutinizes
adverts ( or not) before printing or posting and it strikes me funny that the first two are right and the rest not. Best you go check those meds you've been taking for the last two years especially if you feel like your going through menopause. Mistakes on national advertising like the web are really unacceptable and can cause a great deal of "end user" grief. I sent an e-mail to the source and they agreed it was misleading but offered no explanation. Did say they'd fix it A.S.A.P.
You can get the wrong parts at a part store too. Happens all the time. A lot of the time it's just the kid behind the counter doesn't know what the hell he's doing but sometimes the parts are boxed wrong or the part numbers aren't correct in the store's computer system. Mistakes will be made so it's really up to the end user to have the knowledge to know if he's receiving the correct parts. Sometimes it's pretty obvious that you received the wrong parts but other times the mechanic has to have the knowledge and/or experience to know if something's not right. Your analogy about prescription meds is a good one. People get the wrong meds too. No system is perfect or works 100% of the time. You just have to be careful and gain as much knowledge as you can to protect yourself.

Auto Transport Service
Back