• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wendy’s planning Uber-style ‘surge pricing’ where burger prices fluctuate based on demand

Back to the topic, a constantly sliding price scale for burgers and fries is horseshit and I don't care if you eat the stuff or not.
This WILL backfire and I foresee that smug CEO getting walked at the end of it...unless he has a fall-person in waiting.

Nail on the head - for some reason, people of a certain political bent can't comprehend that fast food service
employment shouldn't be ones' eventual ultimate career goal, nor should such jobs be capable of supporting
a family.
McDonald's is already setting up restaurants where robots and AI are making the food. Working in the fast food industry is going to be a thing of the past.

They aren't back-tracking, supposedly they were never doing it.. some news source heard they were getting a new style price board and made **** up....i haven't had wendys in like 20 years so.. meh.. when i was young my brother and i would live on it though, dipping fries in a frosty is damn good :)

Yup, I sure do miss Dave Thomas (and the "where's the beef?" lady for that matter).

As far as the best fast food burger at the moment, I pick Five Guys (although they are expensive).

Yup, I sure do miss Dave Thomas (and the "where's the beef?" lady for that matter).

As far as the best fast food burger at the moment, I pick Five Guys (although they are expensive).
I tend to cook at home cause **** is too expensive ( i think as i get old everything just seems crazy expensive) but if i go to five guys i will just get a shake.. their shakes are amazing and 1 fills me up

They aren't back-tracking, supposedly they were never doing it.. some news source heard they were getting a new style price board and made **** up...
A news source making up a story ? Really ? Heavens to Mergatroyd.

Oh really? :rolleyes:

Wendy’s is preparing to test an “Uber-style” surge-pricing model where the cost of menu items will fluctuate throughout the day based on demand — meaning a Dave’s burger will cost more during the lunch or dinner rush.

The fast-food chain’s unappetizing plans, set to be tested in a high-stakes rollout next year, will squeeze more money out of already inflation-battered Americans who may not have the option to eat their meals during “off-peak” hours.

Wendy’s CEO Kirk Tanner announced the new system on a call with investors, noting the Ohio-based company will invest $20 million on high-tech menu boards that will be able to update prices in real-time without incurring additional overhead costs.

View attachment 1617213

Come 2025, Wendy’s is implementing a dynamic pricing model that will see prices fluxuate throughout the day based on demand, meaning items will cost more during the breakfast, lunch and dinner rushes.

“As we continue to show the benefit of this technology in our company-operated restaurants, franchisee interest in digital menu boards should increase further supporting sales and profit growth across the system,” said Tanner, who rose to the chief role earlier this month.

Tanner didn’t put a ceiling on how much the dynamic pricing model could spike the cost of a meal or whether the base price would actually fall during slower periods.

View attachment 1617214

View attachment 1617215

Representatives for Wendy’s — which has more than 6,000 locations nationwide — would not say how much prices could fluctuate.

“Dynamic pricing can allow Wendy’s to be competitive and flexible with pricing, motivate customers to visit and provide them with the food they love at a great value,” a Wendy’s spokesperson told The Post.

“We will test a number of features that we think will provide an enhanced customer and crew experience.”

View attachment 1617216

Wendy’s is investing $20 million in digital menu boards to be able to update its prices at a moment’s notice.

Prices on items, like the iconic Dave’s Single, already vary depending on location.

For instance, a Dave’s Single costs $5.99 at an outpost in Newark, NJ, while that same quarter-pound burger costs $8.19 at a Wendy’s in Times Square.

“Guess people better change their lunch hours from 2pm to 4pm. With all of the concern of rising prices, the last thing you want to have to consider is how much will it cost you for a burger and fries depending on the time of day,” Ted Jenkin, CEO of Atlanta-based wealth management firm oXYGen Financial, told The Post.

View attachment 1617217
Wendy’s new CEO Kirk Tanner announced the imminent dynamic pricing model during a call with investors earlier this month.

“This isn’t any better than what we see going on with guilt tipping right now. It will prey on the fact that people can’t remember what the price was yesterday or the week before. It isn’t a Taylor Swift concert, it’s a burger, fries, and a Frosty.”

Industry experts warned that Wendy’s should expect backlash when it tries to hit up hungry diners with ever-shifting prices.

“There are people who view dynamic pricing as a rip-off,” restaurant analyst Mark Kalinowski told The Post.

Added restaurant consultant Arlene Spiegel, “It won’t fly and guests will be very upset. You can’t surprise a guest with, ‘Your meal will cost another 50 cents or $1 today.’”

Wendy’s is the most expensive fast-food chain in the US after menu costs rose 35% due to inflation between 2022 and 2023, according to data from consumer transparency platform PriceListo.

View attachment 1617212

An Uber user noted the ride-care company was trying to charge her more than $80 to commute 10 minutes to work during a rush-hour rainstorm last year.
Franchise owners contend that dynamic pricing is more about helping with scheduling and easing the burden on kitchen staff during peak hours – as opposed to maximizing profits.

“I think there’s a lot of room for consumers in terms of price amounts they’re going to accept,” Faizan Khan, a Dog Haus franchise owner, said at the recent Restaurant Finance and Development Conference, according to Food & Wine. “Generationally, I think we’re seeing this being acceptable.”

The restaurant industry has been talking about dynamic pricing for years after witnessing the success enjoyed by the airline, hotel and transportation industries. Competitors like McDonalds and Burger King will surely keep a close eye on Wendy’s experiment, experts said.

“I think it’s just a matter of time before it becomes commonplace in the restaurant industry because it’s a way to generate more profits by being smarter about your pricing,” Kalinowski conceded.
Remember they will be "testing"....I don't think more than a couple markets will see this rollout until it proves itself as feasible.

It not unusual for a national chain to have special pricing and limited new products test in a few markets.

I really doubt if they implement this nationwide.

I'm in Florida right now....fricken food prices here are crazy
Driving a truck for 25 years, I got enough experience eating on the road to last several lifetimes. My measure of a good day at work was having things go well enough that I had time to stop at one of the mom and pop diners on my routes for a hot mid day meal. My favorite place was founded in 1957, and is still run by the grandson of the original owner. Awesome home made soups, high quality local meat, friendly staff with zero turnover. Places like this are getting as scarce as old school truck drivers. Like myself, most of the guys who stopped there were in their 60s.

On days where I ran out the clock, and couldn't stop at the diner, I ate fish out of a can, and packaged crackers and peanut butter. Not an appealing combo, but still better than fast food options, in my opinion.
I still cook meals on the exhaust manifold...

From a marketing and CFO standpoint..... this can go one of two ways :)

Honestly, as much as it pains me....its really no surprise. Capitalism is driven by supply and demand. This is just hitting closer to home than normal.

I am trying to build a new house, because supply chain issues are still a thing from 4 years ago, and many contractors are booked up - I will be paying more for quality work, and trying to "outbid" the next guy to get that job. I guess this is pretty much the same, although Quality can be subjective here, but now I will be bidding against others for lunch.

Its like a lunch auction :)

I think it may be inevitable.

Remember- most people are too stupid to take $50 next week instead of $20 today.

Do they have drive-thru windows? None around here do, so....not fast food.

Decent quality ground beef at the local IGA is less than $3 a pound these days on sale.
I can make a burger a dozen ways - and it'll be bigger and tastier/fresher than any drive-thru.

I do sympathize with their having issues getting good help since the kung flu days, but they're
pricing themselves right out of the very market they made their fortunes in.

main-qimg-6b40da718c77794d84590c3846a1edef-lq.jpeg

They aren't back-tracking, supposedly they were never doing it.. some news source heard they were getting a new style price board and made **** up....i haven't had wendys in like 20 years so.. meh.. when i was young my brother and i would live on it though, dipping fries in a frosty is damn good :)
I was flipping channels the other day and saw Horrah O'Donnell yapping about Wendys and i thought it must be a slow news day. I hate that Bitch and went on to watch a Western (Gunsmoke).

We got a cat that needs to see a Vet.

My wife called and they said Wednesday...or we can see you today for an extra fee.

It's here.

Just wait until surge pricing happens with human healthcare.

"looks like a bad break on your arm, there sir.

ER? Or would you like to upgrade to "premium" ER for an additional charge?

Of all the fast food joints around here (DQ, McDonlds, Booger King, Five Guys and Wendy’s)I do like Five Guys the best. However, this explains why I haven’t been back to one in over three years….

IMG_9915.jpeg

I used to take the 3 company guys there prior to 2021 and the four of us would eat for 55 bucks.

Auto Transport Service
Back