• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wendy’s planning Uber-style ‘surge pricing’ where burger prices fluctuate based on demand

Richard Cranium

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:32 AM
Reaction score
Oh really? :rolleyes:

Wendy’s is preparing to test an “Uber-style” surge-pricing model where the cost of menu items will fluctuate throughout the day based on demand — meaning a Dave’s burger will cost more during the lunch or dinner rush.

The fast-food chain’s unappetizing plans, set to be tested in a high-stakes rollout next year, will squeeze more money out of already inflation-battered Americans who may not have the option to eat their meals during “off-peak” hours.

Wendy’s CEO Kirk Tanner announced the new system on a call with investors, noting the Ohio-based company will invest $20 million on high-tech menu boards that will be able to update prices in real-time without incurring additional overhead costs.

Come 2025, Wendy's is implementing a dynamic pricing model that will see prices fluxuate throughout the day based on demand, meaning items will cost more during the breakfast, lunch and dinner rushes.

Come 2025, Wendy’s is implementing a dynamic pricing model that will see prices fluxuate throughout the day based on demand, meaning items will cost more during the breakfast, lunch and dinner rushes.

“As we continue to show the benefit of this technology in our company-operated restaurants, franchisee interest in digital menu boards should increase further supporting sales and profit growth across the system,” said Tanner, who rose to the chief role earlier this month.

Tanner didn’t put a ceiling on how much the dynamic pricing model could spike the cost of a meal or whether the base price would actually fall during slower periods.

newspress-collage-1b9xbcgy4-1706303660219.jpg

Want a bacon cheeseburger for only a penny? Wendy's has you covered this week.

Representatives for Wendy’s — which has more than 6,000 locations nationwide — would not say how much prices could fluctuate.

“Dynamic pricing can allow Wendy’s to be competitive and flexible with pricing, motivate customers to visit and provide them with the food they love at a great value,” a Wendy’s spokesperson told The Post.

“We will test a number of features that we think will provide an enhanced customer and crew experience.”

Wendy's is investing $20 million in digital menu boards to be able to update its prices at a moment's notice.

Wendy’s is investing $20 million in digital menu boards to be able to update its prices at a moment’s notice.

Prices on items, like the iconic Dave’s Single, already vary depending on location.

For instance, a Dave’s Single costs $5.99 at an outpost in Newark, NJ, while that same quarter-pound burger costs $8.19 at a Wendy’s in Times Square.

“Guess people better change their lunch hours from 2pm to 4pm. With all of the concern of rising prices, the last thing you want to have to consider is how much will it cost you for a burger and fries depending on the time of day,” Ted Jenkin, CEO of Atlanta-based wealth management firm oXYGen Financial, told The Post.

Wendy's CEO Kirk Tanner

Wendy’s new CEO Kirk Tanner announced the imminent dynamic pricing model during a call with investors earlier this month.

“This isn’t any better than what we see going on with guilt tipping right now. It will prey on the fact that people can’t remember what the price was yesterday or the week before. It isn’t a Taylor Swift concert, it’s a burger, fries, and a Frosty.”

Industry experts warned that Wendy’s should expect backlash when it tries to hit up hungry diners with ever-shifting prices.

“There are people who view dynamic pricing as a rip-off,” restaurant analyst Mark Kalinowski told The Post.

Added restaurant consultant Arlene Spiegel, “It won’t fly and guests will be very upset. You can’t surprise a guest with, ‘Your meal will cost another 50 cents or $1 today.’”

Wendy’s is the most expensive fast-food chain in the US after menu costs rose 35% due to inflation between 2022 and 2023, according to data from consumer transparency platform PriceListo.

1709073825053.png

An Uber user noted the ride-care company was trying to charge her more than $80 to commute 10 minutes to work during a rush-hour rainstorm last year.
Franchise owners contend that dynamic pricing is more about helping with scheduling and easing the burden on kitchen staff during peak hours – as opposed to maximizing profits.

“I think there’s a lot of room for consumers in terms of price amounts they’re going to accept,” Faizan Khan, a Dog Haus franchise owner, said at the recent Restaurant Finance and Development Conference, according to Food & Wine. “Generationally, I think we’re seeing this being acceptable.”

The restaurant industry has been talking about dynamic pricing for years after witnessing the success enjoyed by the airline, hotel and transportation industries. Competitors like McDonalds and Burger King will surely keep a close eye on Wendy’s experiment, experts said.

“I think it’s just a matter of time before it becomes commonplace in the restaurant industry because it’s a way to generate more profits by being smarter about your pricing,” Kalinowski conceded.

So that cheese burger that is stone cold at 3:00pm is getting cheaper.
Oh boy that will make those limp azz fries taste better.

Oh really? :rolleyes:

Wendy’s is preparing to test an “Uber-style” surge-pricing model where the cost of menu items will fluctuate throughout the day based on demand — meaning a Dave’s burger will cost more during the lunch or dinner rush.

The fast-food chain’s unappetizing plans, set to be tested in a high-stakes rollout next year, will squeeze more money out of already inflation-battered Americans who may not have the option to eat their meals during “off-peak” hours.

Wendy’s CEO Kirk Tanner announced the new system on a call with investors, noting the Ohio-based company will invest $20 million on high-tech menu boards that will be able to update prices in real-time without incurring additional overhead costs.

View attachment 1617213

Come 2025, Wendy’s is implementing a dynamic pricing model that will see prices fluxuate throughout the day based on demand, meaning items will cost more during the breakfast, lunch and dinner rushes.

“As we continue to show the benefit of this technology in our company-operated restaurants, franchisee interest in digital menu boards should increase further supporting sales and profit growth across the system,” said Tanner, who rose to the chief role earlier this month.

Tanner didn’t put a ceiling on how much the dynamic pricing model could spike the cost of a meal or whether the base price would actually fall during slower periods.

View attachment 1617214

View attachment 1617215

Representatives for Wendy’s — which has more than 6,000 locations nationwide — would not say how much prices could fluctuate.

“Dynamic pricing can allow Wendy’s to be competitive and flexible with pricing, motivate customers to visit and provide them with the food they love at a great value,” a Wendy’s spokesperson told The Post.

“We will test a number of features that we think will provide an enhanced customer and crew experience.”

View attachment 1617216

Wendy’s is investing $20 million in digital menu boards to be able to update its prices at a moment’s notice.

Prices on items, like the iconic Dave’s Single, already vary depending on location.

For instance, a Dave’s Single costs $5.99 at an outpost in Newark, NJ, while that same quarter-pound burger costs $8.19 at a Wendy’s in Times Square.

“Guess people better change their lunch hours from 2pm to 4pm. With all of the concern of rising prices, the last thing you want to have to consider is how much will it cost you for a burger and fries depending on the time of day,” Ted Jenkin, CEO of Atlanta-based wealth management firm oXYGen Financial, told The Post.

View attachment 1617217
Wendy’s new CEO Kirk Tanner announced the imminent dynamic pricing model during a call with investors earlier this month.

“This isn’t any better than what we see going on with guilt tipping right now. It will prey on the fact that people can’t remember what the price was yesterday or the week before. It isn’t a Taylor Swift concert, it’s a burger, fries, and a Frosty.”

Industry experts warned that Wendy’s should expect backlash when it tries to hit up hungry diners with ever-shifting prices.

“There are people who view dynamic pricing as a rip-off,” restaurant analyst Mark Kalinowski told The Post.

Added restaurant consultant Arlene Spiegel, “It won’t fly and guests will be very upset. You can’t surprise a guest with, ‘Your meal will cost another 50 cents or $1 today.’”

Wendy’s is the most expensive fast-food chain in the US after menu costs rose 35% due to inflation between 2022 and 2023, according to data from consumer transparency platform PriceListo.

View attachment 1617212

An Uber user noted the ride-care company was trying to charge her more than $80 to commute 10 minutes to work during a rush-hour rainstorm last year.
Franchise owners contend that dynamic pricing is more about helping with scheduling and easing the burden on kitchen staff during peak hours – as opposed to maximizing profits.

“I think there’s a lot of room for consumers in terms of price amounts they’re going to accept,” Faizan Khan, a Dog Haus franchise owner, said at the recent Restaurant Finance and Development Conference, according to Food & Wine. “Generationally, I think we’re seeing this being acceptable.”

The restaurant industry has been talking about dynamic pricing for years after witnessing the success enjoyed by the airline, hotel and transportation industries. Competitors like McDonalds and Burger King will surely keep a close eye on Wendy’s experiment, experts said.

“I think it’s just a matter of time before it becomes commonplace in the restaurant industry because it’s a way to generate more profits by being smarter about your pricing,” Kalinowski conceded.
That will be the final nail in their coffin.

Instead of this being one of RC's sometimes humerous/sarcastic posts, this one is for real. I saw it on the local news tonight. News says this applies to U.S. locations, not Canada. I can see MacDonalds sitting back with a big bag of popcorn to see how this will play out. Consumers are already pi$$ed about getting gouged at the grocery store.
My wife and I recently stopped at our local A&W to order a quick lunch. We do not like the taste of A&W root beer from those paper cups and straws (saving the planet, one paper straw at a time!), so we brought our own drinks. I ordered an UncleBurger and my wife wanted a TeenBurger, plus 2 orders of fries. The SpeakerGirl said $31.00. I said No; I will put $10.00 with that and go to a REAL restaurant.

Last edited:
This just furthers the argument, that one should quit eating out and from fast food joints, and start to prepare their own at home. There is no need to patronize these establishments as they are only in it to gouge and extort more out of the paying public. Besides, 99% of it is horrible tasting, loaded with chemicals and fats, and just unhealthy to be a consumable product. Get real and start making your own!!! cr8crshr/Bill :usflag: :usflag: :usflag:

Stop it already. I got work for months ahead, I got a 5% raise, and my alphabet blocks haven't toppled over yet. All is peachy-keen.

So if the guy in front of you at the drive thru orders 6 1/4 lbs, your 1/4 lb just doubled in price?

Maybe instead they should spend $20 million to lower their prices and see how that works out first.

This just furthers the argument, that one should quit eating out and from fast food joints, and start to prepare their own at home. There is no need to patronize these establishments as they are only in it to gouge and extort more out of the paying public. Besides, 99% of it is horrible tasting, loaded with chemicals and fats, and just unhealthy to be a consumable product. Get real and start making your own!!! cr8crshr/Bill :usflag: :usflag: :usflag:
True that. We went to a local mexican joint for lunch on Sunday 1 margarita, 2 cokes and 3 meals with tip, $80. I about flipped. It was good but not $80 good. I am in the kitchen right now making Spinach and artichoke CHicken pasta with bacon and tomatoes. I would estimate $10-15. total.

Dave ran a good chain and came up with some tasty food.
Then he died. I was legit sad when I heard the news, because I thought his chain and his ads and his food were both unique and driven from a desire to make people happy.

I used to go to the Wendy's in the Fox Valley, maybe 40 minutes from home at that time so many years ago. The valley had stores we don't have in a town of 3500 people you see. So between Dave's spicy chicken sandwich that was actually chicken, and stuff like his cordon bleu and ranch, the frosty, it was a good place to eat and the food was actually pretty decent for the price being what it was. The place was clean and well staffed and friendly.

Less then 6 months after he was gone, the entire place shut down for 2 months, then reopened. I went ONCE. Why? because the place was sketchy clean and the entire staff did not speak english. No lie, they pointed at the menu board and said "num-boor?"
Maybe a year or two later the only thing still on the original menu was the spicy chicken and it was changed. All of Dave's food was gone. All the tv ads were for the "new" mcdonalds inspired trash type burgers.
now look at the gross looking shat on a shingle they try to serve.

What people should do at lunch time is all stand there for 10 minutes until the price dumps, and then have one guy order for the whole crowd. Then someone should send a video of that to that idiot CEO and his shat eating grin.
Maybe if they invest in some more blinding white LED giant screens for everything it will work out for them. nevermind the speaker, I bet that's the same one from 1991 in the post out there.
Just kill the place already and get it over with.

True that. We went to a local mexican joint for lunch on Sunday 1 margarita, 2 cokes and 3 meals with tip, $80. I about flipped. It was good but not $80 good. I am in the kitchen right now making Spinach and artichoke CHicken pasta with bacon and tomatoes. I would estimate $10-15. total.

In today’s world, that sounds about right. Unfortunately. 50 bucks for lunch & tip for two at a real restaurant is the new norm.

In today’s world, that sounds about right. Unfortunately. 50 bucks for lunch & tip for two at a real restaurant is the new norm.
Our local favourite restaurant is a family-type one with a sizeable menu. When you said $50.00 for 2, you hit the nail right on the head. For that $$$ we get delicious hot food and friendly staff serving us. The serving size is always generous, and many times we take some home. We have been going there almost 20 years, and the owners and regular staff welcome us by our names. I know if I accidentally forgot my wallet, they would just say, " You can pay us next time you're in. " The beauty of living in a small town.

I have never eaten at Chik a filet but i did look at the menu online. $17 and change for a combo meal!

One of my local Mexican Restaurants will prepare me a hamburger if I want one. No need to ever go back to Wendy's.

Wife and I have all but stopped eating out - and I haven't done fast food in years, short of my beloved
Chick-Fil-A.
That said, I always appreciated Dave Thomas and his whole business, not to mention life, model.
The man was damn near a saint - what he did for the cause of adoptive children alone qualifies
(he was one himself and wound up being recognized by the President for his efforts).

Wendy's to this day is reputedly the last of the big fast food burger chains to only use unfrozen beef, too.
I am truly disappointed in what todays' leadership of that company are doing, after years of doing
things "Dave's way" - they've apparently gone full feed the stockholders route.
Shame on them.

Stop it already. We need to increase minimum wage to $100 hr so the worker can support a family.

Auto Transport Service
Back