• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bench vs. Buckets

Speedy Canuck

Local time
2:28 PM
Reaction score
I've been debating the pros and cons of bench and bucket seats. The car I'll end up building will be a summer driver, with the goal of a cross-country roadtrip; so I don't have to factor in/worry about security at the track. I'll be taking into account the comfort/cool factor. My '69 firebird has buckets and I like them just fine, but I was debating putting a bench into my Mopar project.
I've heard that the bench doesn't hold you you very well while cornering, but other than that, what complaints or compliments do you all have?

On my 70 RR i took out the drag buckets and cage and am putting a bench back in.I've kinda come a full circle,20 years ago i would have been taking the bench out and installing a cage.

The factory bucket seats don't hold you any better then the bench on cornering, they just look cooler.If you are not going to run a console you may want a buddy seat with the fold down arm rest which will allow your girl to sit close and also provide lateral support with the arm rest down for cornering.

I like the cool factor of buckets and a console, but a bench has it's advantages too. as far as restoration cost the bench wins hands down.

I got my Road Runner while living in Texas. The black vinyl bench was like a heat sink and blocked airflow. Next summer I had buckets with cloth inserts crusing was a lot more comfortable. I have a set of original seats that need a rebuild but in the mean time Summit Racing can sell you some nice aftermarket buckets for under $400 a pair. They also have the hip and shoulder bolsters to help keep you behind the wheel in corners.

I'm looking for some BLACK leather buckets from a newer car, but everyone is making grays these days. I've had leather seats for years, and I know some folks dont like them, but I think they are the best. You are right about the factory buckets giving no lateral support.

I have buckets in my Satellite and they really dont support at, there not "new car" buckets. I would LOVE a bench seat, to bad I'm in Hawaii and there not easy to find out here or I would swap the buckets for the bench, I think it looks better especially if your like me and removed the center console for a nicer shifter AND the girlfriend thing would be BAD *** for multiple reasons, ill let the imagination go with that one ;)

A little bit of Armor-All, and a hard right turn always broke the ice! In Detroit we called it a "Slide-over-Baby!"

Looks like I'm going to have to come over and flip the old calendar for a few of you :tongueflap: It's not the 60's - lateral support is 'cool' now, and the 14x6's are getting swapped out as fast as you can. :)

Don't feel too bad though, I constantly recognize that I was born in the wrong decade. What I wouldn't give to grow up during the muscle car heyday.

Most people don't know that, but the reason a (say) 69 runner had a bench seat 4 speed as standard (pun intended) was because it was lighter than buckets and an auto. At least that's the claim.

Most people don't know that, but the reason a (say) 69 runner had a bench seat 4 speed as standard (pun intended) was because it was lighter than buckets and an auto. At least that's the claim.

True, and you could save another couple pounds with a coupe instead of a hardtop, .....I remember back in the day some people removing the interior insulation, jute padding from under the carpet and divider panels behind the rear seat to save weight.

Auto Transport Service
Back