• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best heads for a budget 440?

salteen_dude

Local time
7:41 AM
Reaction score
I've done some searching and no clear answers yet. I have a '70 Charger, going to be a stick car. I picked up a 84k mile 440 6 pack short block for $1000. I can establish that.

I'm not sure what the best top end for it would be? I want to go with a 6 pack but I'm not sure. I tracked down a 6p intake with the carburetors, and air cleaner and all the linkages but the guy wants 1500 for the whole setup. It's worth the money for a 6p but I could also run a 4 bbl intake and a thermoquad which is easier to come across and cheaper, gets the job done. Just not sure what direction I want to go there.

What are the best heads? That aren't aluminum of course. I found a guy who has some max wedge heads that have been ported and some work done to them ready for a big cam but he wants right shy of $3000 for them.

I'm probably gonna run some long tube headers. Any recommendations there?

Any input is greatly appreciated! -Paul

Update I did read that 906 heads are pretty good might be on the search for a set of those. Unless anybody has a better suggestion

I would pick up some good used 906 heads that someone took off to replace with aluminum, edelbrock performer rpm manifold, edelbrock avs2 carb and get it on the road. That would be pretty cheap and perform well.

906 heads are fine, but me thinks you can pick up a set of 452's. They already have the hardened seats needed
to run the unleaded swill they sell at gas stations nowadays! Freshen them up and run-em!

Like Sam mentioned, get some 906 heads and get them ports cleaned up for a bit more cfm/flow, a valve job and get the right springs to go with the cam of your choice.
Saves a lot of $ compared to going with alu heads, not sure why the guy is asking $3K for a set of heads?
Sounds like too much imo.

Like Sam mentioned, get some 906 heads and get them ports cleaned up for a bit more cfm/flow, a valve job and get the right springs to go with the cam of your choice.
Saves a lot of $ compared to going with alu heads, not sure why the guy is asking $3K for a set of heads?
Sounds like too much imo.
They're max wedge heads. Supposed to be off a motor he built. I'm not spending 3k on heads lol. What would 906 heads normally run?

906 heads are fine, but me thinks you can pick up a set of 452's. They already have the hardened seats needed
to run the unleaded swill they sell at gas stations nowadays! Freshen them up and run-em!
Are they the same flow as 906 heads? What motor did the 452's come on? And how much would a usable set normally run?

440 Source heads would be the best bang for the buck.

440 Source heads would be the best bang for the buck.
I saw their website, it's 1200 for both heads and then the hardware needs to be purchased too, I don't particularly want to switch to aluminum heads. I'm young but I like to keep it old school. This is gonna be my cruiser after all. I'd just rather stick to cast heads with a cast block.

I saw their website, it's 1200 for both heads and then the hardware needs to be purchased too, I don't particularly want to switch to aluminum heads. I'm young but I like to keep it old school. This is gonna be my cruiser after all. I'd just rather stick to cast heads with a cast block.
I think a refurbished 452 would be your best bet then.
Check out Aerohead, they sell very affordable rebuilt heads.

The 906's flow a little better than the 452's, but not by much! If you can get a set in good shape,
you'll be in good shape!

I saw some 906's recently where the guy was asking $200. He'd swapped them for new aluminum heads and claimed the old ones were in decent running condition. I've seen them range from $50 to $1500 used. Check the for sale ads or post in the WTB section of the site. Maybe a member has a set they're selling. Craigslist and fb marketplace usually have some if you keep checking.

The 906's flow a little better than the 452's, but not by much! If you can get a set in good shape,
you'll be in good shape!
I found some 906's for $450. They came off a running engine they're orange and in good shape. An hour away from my house, worth the money?

I saw some 906's recently where the guy was asking $200. He'd swapped them for new aluminum heads and claimed the old ones were in decent running condition. I've seen them range from $50 to $1500 used. Check the for sale ads or post in the WTB section of the site. Maybe a member has a set they're selling. Craigslist and fb marketplace usually have some if you keep checking.
Found some 906's for 450. Might try to talk the guy a little. They look in good shape. Might need some refurbishing. Clean up, new valve stem seals, springs, retainers. Maybe new seats.

452 are about the same as 906 heads, with the bonus of hardened valve seats. They came on the last of the big blocks; think late '70's Chrysler New Yorkers and pick-up trucks. They are likely easier to find than 906's. They are what I use on my cars. Max Wedge heads have huge ports that do not match common intake manifolds, plus no provision for heat to the intake manifold.

Haven't seen anyone bring up the 915s, which are 67 only so kind of rare, but basically a 906 with a closed chamber.
You also want the bigger exh valve.

But what you found sounds fairish

Found some 906's for 450. Might try to talk the guy a little. They look in good shape. Might need some refurbishing. Clean up, new valve stem seals, springs, retainers. Maybe new seats.

If they don't need work (bolt on and go) it's probably a good deal. If they need work like new seats i'd definitely pass. I wouldn't be in a rush to buy. They're not rare and a good deal will pop up if you keep your eyes open.

A little update. The guy had some extra parts too. Timing cover, valve covers, the alternator and ps pump brackets. I wound up getting all that thrown in as well for $500. He has a 4 barrel intake. Nor sure if I want it. It's a factory peice from a 440. I have a 850 thermoquad from a previous build. A buddy of mine sourced a 6 pack system for 800 bucks. Intake, carb, linkages, air cleaner housing and a new filter. All cleaned up, ready to install. Might reach for it, might go 4 barrel. Not sure yet. Opinions on 6 pack vs 4 barrel?

Auto Transport Service
Back