• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

best progressive rock band you never heard.

Every time I hear a flute in a song I always think of...

View attachment 1623019
and every time I see that I think of this....

One time at Band Clamp.jpg

:lol:

best progressive rock band you never heard.​

The Knack----they progressed to a One hit wonder.......

best progressive rock band you never heard.​

The Knack----they progressed to a One hit wonder.......

Everytime I hear that song it reminds me of an old friend that used to change the lyrics to "My sca-rotum" You can't un-learn that. :rofl: :rofl:

I thought the 90s were a pretty good era of music..... Tool was one of my favs

Rush were/are Canadian icons. Their first few albums were played at all of our bush parties back in the ‘70’s. I was fortunate to see them on the 2112 tour. They were at their peak; three of the best musicians in one band. It was mind boggling to see Geddy Lee singing, playing keyboards with his feet and playing bass at a million miles an hour, while Alex played awesome guitar and keyboards with his feet at the same time. Neal Peart was barely visible behind his huge drum kit, but you could sure hear him.
Geddy Lee put out his autobiography last year. A great read, not at all like you would expect a rock band memoir to read. Both his parents were concentration camp survivors. He tells their amazing story. And Rush were not all squeaky clean; he is pretty refreshing in his honesty.
Saw Blue Oyster Cult too, around 1981. Another terrific band.

I'm sorry, but every time I hear "Blue Oyster Cult" this hideous image jumps into my head......

1709880388012.png

Try unseeing that for the last 30 years. :lol:

Just had time to write this. There is a small club that plays small local and national acts. It is a really cool venue. We have seen several bands there such as the nighthawks, jose ramirez and others. Generally a small group of us usually go.
So last Friday night we saw a band called Crack the Sky. They were a staple around this area in the late 70s to early 80s but never broke through to big stardom. The critics loved them as did many other bands but bad record deals and lack of AOR radio stations hurt them. Their album stuff is great but the live stuff is fantastic. I hadn't seen them in probably 45years but man they still have it.
Its funny how that is with live music. It is so much better then studio stuff sometimes, Joe Bonamassa is another like that.
Anyway check them out. Crack the Sky live.
Couple songs Lighten up Mcgraw, Surf city, Shes a dancer and ice
Wow, Crack the Sky. I hadn't thought of them in many years....
But yes, I remember going to see them back in my youth at places like Painters Mill.
They put on one hell of a show as I recall.

But yes, I remember going to see them back in my youth at places like Painters Mill
Yup painters mill
I miss that place. We saw a lot of acts there, little feat, the nighthawk,crack the sky and more.
Shame it burnt down and never replaced

They will be back at the Recher in April I believe. I saw them at Club 66 in Edgewood in Feb '20. I think they recently played Fallston Barrel House a few weeks ago.

Sorry fellers....stuck in the
past with former loves and
memories. Both good and
painful. '69-'72 is about all
that I listen to.
But I am an old fart.....
"Does anyone know where
the love of God goes, when
the waves turn the minutes
to hours..."

Last edited:
"Progressive" is interpretive. The first band I enjoyed, that I'd have considered progressive...was Roxy Music. I still listen to the album "Country Life".

"Progressive" is interpretive. The first band I enjoyed, that I'd have considered progressive...was Roxy Music. I still listen to the album "Country Life".

Wow, I hadn’t thought of them. You are correct, I think. For a band that was/is considered New Wave they certainly were progressing past many of their peers. Another one would be Ultravox. I still listen to both bands frequently. But here’s something I’m just tossing out there for discussion:
In the same way that Hendrix is considered the seed that grew into guitar driven Hard Rock and Heavy Metal, the metamorphosis that happened to New Wave and then Progressive Rock started with Kraftwerk.

So elsewhere on the internet in the past week they have applying the "Progressive" label to Marshal Tucker Band, which I thought interesting.

Auto Transport Service
Back