• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best to check those lug nuts!

IMG_1220.jpgIMG_1221.jpgIMG_1222.jpgHere's an update: the holiday season occupied a lot of my time but I've been able to work on the car the past 4 weekends. The fender and inner splash shield are off. While I was at it I took off the hood, front grille valance and other misc parts and sent them along with the donor fender to the blaster. Got the parts back yesterday and they look great. The new parts are trickling in; mostly from YO. Talked to a Michael there, good guy, he's building a Barracuda. YO was easy to deal with, but man!, the inner fender gaskets are expensive. More than the splash shield. And FYI - if you have the Coronet 500 trim package, treat those chrome pieces like gold - they're hard to find and pricey. I paid $100 for a 12" NOS piece; although to Hagerty's credit, their adjuster found it for me and it went into their claim. So now the prep work starts.

- - - Updated - - -

At this stage I need some guidance from the fbbo pros. I'm going to scrape and sand off the concrete undercoating on top of the inner fender. The car won't be driven in inclement weather but I'm wondering what if anything should be applied between the inner and outer fender where it bolts together? I'm thinking more to stop squeaks and rattles. I'm also going to change out the rusted fender bolts and saw two kinds on Ebay - black oxide and yellow/gold oxide - they will be painted body color, is one kind better than the other?

Just saw this post. Glad that it was only car damage and no one got hurt. I have Hagerty's also. I was just wondering if they do supplemental claims for hidden damage that is not discovered till after repairs get started.

Just saw this post. Glad that it was only car damage and no one got hurt. I have Hagerty's also. I was just wondering if they do supplemental claims for hidden damage that is not discovered till after repairs get started.

I talked to the adjuster about that and yes, Hagerty will work with you if additional damage is found. The only parts that were missed were the inner splash shield and fender gaskets. I'm not going back to them because a) I feel like an idiot not checking my lugs in the first place and b) I'm saving a bunch on the labor side by doing the disassembly myself.

Happy no one got hurt:yes: :yes: I'm just finishing a similar repair but long hours at work and the cold weather has slowed my progress. New wheels & tires should be here soon:blob1:

Attachments

• 11.6.13 042 (2).jpg
    11.6.13 042 (2).jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 206
  • 11.6.13 009.jpg
    11.6.13 009.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 202
  • 11.6.13 019.jpg
    11.6.13 019.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 206
  • 7.28.13 196.jpg
    7.28.13 196.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 190
  • 7.28.13 184.jpg
    7.28.13 184.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 199
  • 11.6.13 044.jpg
    11.6.13 044.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 185
  • 11.6.13 059.jpg
    11.6.13 059.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 194
Air Needle gun or a little heat with a propane torch and a scrapper will get that undercoating off the top of the inner fender for you. Trying to sand it will just gum up your sanding pads, especially once it starts to heat up from the friction. Body Schutz or Bedliner would make a good medium to apply afterwards. Don't use rubberized undercoating in a can. It's best feature is holding/trapping in moisture. I've found primer/paint seems to stick better to the black oxide vs. the Zinc Yellow Chromate. Using the yellow chromate, just make sure you do a real good job of prepping them. Make sure they get nice and scuffed before laying over primer, as well as getting any grease/oil/dirt off them

Good luck!

I responded a while back & now I see you`re going to take off the factory sound deadner/gravel protector. If I were you, id leave it on. There isn`t much out there that can protect against the constant pounding of gravel & sand ,especially in there & if you driving it on a regular basis. It`s tough as hell to get off, for a reason! Just my 2 cents, that all.

View attachment 166474View attachment 166475View attachment 166476Here's an update: the holiday season occupied a lot of my time but I've been able to work on the car the past 4 weekends. The fender and inner splash shield are off. While I was at it I took off the hood, front grille valance and other misc parts and sent them along with the donor fender to the blaster. Got the parts back yesterday and they look great. The new parts are trickling in; mostly from YO. Talked to a Michael there, good guy, he's building a Barracuda. YO was easy to deal with, but man!, the inner fender gaskets are expensive. More than the splash shield. And FYI - if you have the Coronet 500 trim package, treat those chrome pieces like gold - they're hard to find and pricey. I paid $100 for a 12" NOS piece; although to Hagerty's credit, their adjuster found it for me and it went into their claim. So now the prep work starts.

- - - Updated - - -

At this stage I need some guidance from the fbbo pros. I'm going to scrape and sand off the concrete undercoating on top of the inner fender. The car won't be driven in inclement weather but I'm wondering what if anything should be applied between the inner and outer fender where it bolts together? I'm thinking more to stop squeaks and rattles. I'm also going to change out the rusted fender bolts and saw two kinds on Ebay - black oxide and yellow/gold oxide - they will be painted body color, is one kind better than the other?
If your staying correct than blast the bolts you have and reuse and if your not I would do black oxide.

The material between the inner and outer fender was originally a foam type. Nowadays just use a thin line of seam sealer just enough to compress and seal....

Auto Transport Service
Back