• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Big Block vs Small Block

66 Sat

Local time
8:20 AM
Reaction score
So I've owned 2 small blocks and a 351 Cleveland which apparently is neither small block nor big block, but never a genuine big block. What am I missing out on? Is it the low down torque, different sound, more frequent visits to the gas station:)?
My 318 poly is pretty torquey and goes ok for what it is, but I have the horsepower bug and am always looking for more.
I'm thinking of slowly buying the parts and building a 440, and then doing the swap, maybe over a few years. I've never assembled an engine before but I like to learn new skills and I think it would be an achievement.
Good idea or not? Opinions welcome.

So I've owned 2 small blocks and a 351 Cleveland which apparently is neither small block nor big block, but never a genuine big block. What am I missing out on? Is it the low down torque, different sound, more frequent visits to the gas station:)?
My 318 poly is pretty torquey and goes ok for what it is, but I have the horsepower bug and am always looking for more.
I'm thinking of slowly buying the parts and building a 440, and then doing the swap, maybe over a few years. I've never assembled an engine before but I like to learn new skills and I think it would be an achievement.
Good idea or not? Opinions welcome.
There's an old popular saying, "There is no substitute for cubic inches".

The poly is a tough motor. Have you thought about boosting that? Turbo/supercharger.
Mike

The poly is a tough motor. Have you thought about boosting that? Turbo/supercharger.
Mike
Mike is correct. You can get 400+ cubes and 500+ HP out of that Poly. I little more expensive to build but you'll have something special.

Now days you can get a 408 stroker crate engine and get plenty of power and it will drop in with no problems.

...and there is the replacement for cubic inc displacement.

That didn't take long.

If you want to spend some money, consider stroking that poly to 392.

That displacement comes up quite frequently in Mopar history.

There are kits available.

I think people are drawn to big blocks because of the bragging rights and the massive torque.

My 500 stroker is simply addictive to drive with all the low end torque. Mash the throttle at low(er) speed and almost any RPM and the tires break loose, stuff starts to happen and things get loud! It's neat!

I agree that now small blocks can be stroked and built to provide very similar experiences. My 73 Road Runner with a 340 will keep the 340, only it will get stroked to provide a similar experience.

The good thing about 66-70 is that you can put a BB in a SB car without changing or modifying the K frame or buying conversion mounts.

I have no experience with poly, other than looking at the one in my Dad's '60 Chrysler. My 1st car was '70 Barracuda w/383 2bbl which got upgraded to 4 bbl & headers. Was pretty good on the street, but most 340's could take me, especially in the A bodies. My drag cars have all been BB's(426W, 440, 400/452). As a bracket car I think my BB's were more consistent than the small blocks, but not many stroker small blocks in those days. My Satellite had a 500/440 now a 512/440.
I'm a big block guy since that's what I know best. Although I did build a 360 for tow vehicle that was great.
Big tits or small, pretty well sums it up.

The experience is different, but both are kick ***!
Big block torque, down low. Bad ***!
Small block spinning at 8000. Bad ***!

Yes.

A small displacement turbo-charged engine can be the equal of a larger displacement normally aspirated engine.

A body with BB is an ANIMAL!

For a first time engine builder in your position, i would probably advise against the engine swap to a bigblock. The 440 swap needs a lot of things changed that add up to $$$ quickly.
In your spot i would practice engine building skills on a 360 to replace your poly, and then later, after you decide you want more power again, either stroke the 360, or stroke the poly. Either would be fun, and give a bunch more power than you have now, but the hi-horsepower poly would be a lot more miney.

Auto Transport Service
Back