• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Block # gurus...

Measure the dia of the dish, and the depth.
V=pi*r^2*h

Where:
r=dia/2
h=dish depth

This will get you close enough. As far as the deck height, measure it and use:
DHv=(b/2)^2*51.48*h

Where:
DHv=Deck Height Volume
b=Bore
h=Deck height

2315s are out...no std size available.
I just measured all 4 open holes...4.257 from top to bottom

Deck height is measured with the piston at TDC, then measure from the block deck to the top of the piston (not the dish).

2315s are out...no std size available.
I just measured all 4 open holes...4.257 from top to bottom
Do yourself a favor, and disassemble the block, align hone (if not already done), square the block (it has not been done), and bore cylinders 0.030" over.

Im coming up with 10.4....does anyone see an error?

Screenshot_20210202-124412_Chrome.jpg

Assuming 51.48 is gasket bore? Or what does that represent?
That is a number that you use to basically convert the result to CC's. (for this example) What gasket ( PN#) are you using? You should also be using ARP head bolts or studs. The OEM headbolts will damage the aluminum heads.

Cometic C5459-027 is the gasket
2.88 diameter of dish
.09 depth of dish

Last edited:
Humor us.. Recalculate using a positive number for piston dome volume.... If positive is wrong your C/R will increase substantially... Ain't no way a 383 with dished pistons is 9.5-1 C/R...

Humor us.. Recalculate using a positive number for piston dome volume.... If positive is wrong your C/R will increase substantially... Ain't no way a 383 with dished pistons is 9.5-1 C/R...
Hmmm dropped to 9.4...

Screenshot_20210202-163759_Chrome.jpg

69bee had that formula as ...im guessing ....a TLAR...(That Looks About Right) estimator...i guessing we can assume 10-15% error in it? Id like someone else to run those dish numbers...see how far off base this really is.

Dish is 2.88 diameter x .09 deep.

Auto Transport Service
Back