• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

brake distribution block

Bill M

Local time
11:47 AM
Reaction score
Does anyone have a picture of a brake distribution block that identifys what brake line go in each particular port?

have a 71 Charger with manual disk front brakes.

Also is there an additional small block in line with the rear brakes?

Theres' a brass junction on the rear axle probably...the distribution block should have a line out the front end over to the right & left disc, a lineout to the front port of the M/C out of the top front port, a line out to the rear port master cylinder from the top rear port, and a lineout to the rear of the car from the rear port of the block. When bleeding the block u need the clip to hold the little button pin out from the valve so the fluid goes everywhere during the bleeding. afterwards pop the pin holder off.

Theres' a brass junction on the rear axle probably...the distribution block should have a line out the front end over to the right & left disc, a lineout to the front port of the M/C out of the top front port, a line out to the rear port master cylinder from the top rear port, and a lineout to the rear of the car from the rear port of the block. When bleeding the block u need the clip to hold the little button pin out from the valve so the fluid goes everywhere during the bleeding. afterwards pop the pin holder off.

Ghostrider- This is the first I'm hearing about a little button pin on the distribution block. Is it the same on a 70 Satellite? I just converted my front drums to discs and next weekend changing the master cylinder and plumbing in a prop valve in the rear line coming out of the distribution block. I assume I will have to bleed the block too based on what you wrote above? I thought that as you bleed each line at the wheel, the pathway in the distribution block would get bled too.

That is pretty interesting about that pin as I've wondered about it myself. I'm in the process of replacing the drivers side frame rail and inner fender and converting to front disc brakes on a 69 Satellite so I have all that apart and have been researching it myself. It seems pretty easy tome to figure out as I believe that the front and rear ports on the master are a different size and the button face the front of the car, there is a port on the front and bottom for the front and one that faces the back of the car. The other small block in the rear brake line is a hold off valve for the back brakes and I think is used on 67 to 70 cars with Kelsey Hayes 4 wheel disc brake and Hi performance engines. It is not really a proportioning valve and probably not needed if you are using a proportioning valve. The block on the rear axle is a distribution block for the back brakes.

That is pretty interesting about that pin as I've wondered about it myself. I'm in the process of replacing the drivers side frame rail and inner fender and converting to front disc brakes on a 69 Satellite so I have all that apart and have been researching it myself. It seems pretty easy tome to figure out as I believe that the front and rear ports on the master are a different size and the button face the front of the car, there is a port on the front and bottom for the front and one that faces the back of the car. The other small block in the rear brake line is a hold off valve for the back brakes and I think is used on 67 to 70 cars with Kelsey Hayes 4 wheel disc brake and Hi performance engines. It is not really a proportioning valve and probably not needed if you are using a proportioning valve. The block on the rear axle is a distribution block for the back brakes.

I was looking in my FSM and I think the valve that Ghostrider was referring to is the metering valve. The FSM refers to a special tool to hold open the pin while bleeding. I don't have that, just the 5 port distribution block and the tee in the back to split off the rear drums. I'm plumbing in an adjustable proportioning valve in the rear line that comes off the dist block. That's all that's needed in a front disc conversion according to all the research I did.

Yes, that pin, it's on the metering valve.

propvalve-bleeding.jpg

I believe this setup is for a 70 Satty with factory front discs. Mine is a drum/drum car so I don't have the metering valve.
Any pictures for a 71 Charger?

Auto Transport Service
Back