• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Factory Brakes

Tech85

Local time
6:11 AM
Reaction score
Does anyone know if this is a factory brake caliper? Eventually I plan to upgrade the front disk brakes. Due to funds I just need a basic replacement for this car.

IMG_6702.jpeg

IMG_6703.jpeg

Are there any dual or four piston calipers that would bolt up the factory mounts?

Yes. Upgrade that, or another car ? Basic replacement of what, the entire setup ?

Just brake calipers pads and rotors.

What you have IS the upgrade! Factory 4 piston brakes are not any better than what you have now. Hard to find parts and expensive when you do.

Expensive is right. I’m not looking to spend a grand for a set of Wilwoods. Any suggestions on where to buy replacements other than the usual Jegs, Summit etc..

Expensive is right. I’m not looking to spend a grand for a set of Wilwoods. Any suggestions on where to buy replacements other than the usual Jegs, Summit etc..
You said limited funds. So forget the idea. Fix what you have and move on.

Rock auto has all the cheap stuff.

73- A-body and several other cars. Looks like you have the 10.75" rotor. You can kick that up to the 11.75" giving you more swept area and leverage. Dr Diff has the caliper brackets to do that if you don't have a source on good used ones. The Doc, Rock Auto and your parts stores have/can get the rotors. Cordoba, St Regis, Magnum etc had those. If you get a good replacement semi metallic pad, not used car lot specials, those will help improve the braking. However...the bigger rotor doesn't fit 14" wheels. You need 15" minimum.

those are “slider” calipers. Typically a swap from a 73-76 A-body.

An upgrade would be 12” rotors. with calipers repro adapters sold by drdiff.com must have 15” diameter minimum rims for that swap.

Dr Diff has caliper brackets to install Wilwood 4 Piston Calipers. You retain the stock rotors so it’s significantly cheaper than a complete Wilwood kit.

IMG_4637.jpeg

Ceramic pads are available for slider calipers.

Rockauto has them, or did a few years ago.

That's a pretty substantial upgrade.

Just brake calipers pads and rotors.

Since you are replacing rotors right now, for $90 more you could upgrade to 12" disks: Mopar 11.75" Disc Brake Slider Caliper Brackets . Those use your same calipers and brake pads.

Then you would buy 12" rotors instead of the 11" you have now. 12" rotor are about the same price as 11".

12" regular rotors for $46/ea at Rock Auto: RAYBESTOS 7038R Rotor | RockAuto

Or Dr Diff sells 12" drilled slotted ones for $175/pr: Mopar Rotors - Drilled/Slotted/Plated

If you're using the same pads, then you have the same friction surface area. Is the upgrade in the looks department?

Larger rotor applies more torque by having a longer lever arm to stop the wheel from spinning.

Larger rotor swept area surface dissipates heat faster/better

Last edited:
Larger rotor applies more torque by have a longer lever arm to stop the wheel from spinning.

Larger rotor surface dissipates heat faster/better
Fair enough, thank you. Hadn't thought of the leverage angle.

Since you are replacing rotors right now, for $90 more you could upgrade to 12" disks: Mopar 11.75" Disc Brake Slider Caliper Brackets . Those use your same calipers and brake pads.

Then you would buy 12" rotors instead of the 11" you have now. 12" rotor are about the same price as 11".

12" regular rotors for $46/ea at Rock Auto: RAYBESTOS 7038R Rotor | RockAuto

Or Dr Diff sells 12" drilled slotted ones for $175/pr: Mopar Rotors - Drilled/Slotted/Plated
Interesting, thank you for the advice and links for the parts. I believe I will do this.

Auto Transport Service
Back