• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brighter Headlights

Status
Not open for further replies.

dfrazz

Local time
5:04 AM
Reaction score
I have been considering ordering the new Holley Retrobright LED headlights after hearing great reviews. The problem is they are crazy expensive ($186/each and I need 4). So I ordered and installed a relay kit from @Crackedback along with Sylvania Xtravision headlights. I had done this previously on my Cuda and they made a huge difference. Again, on my '68 Charger it was amazing to see what an hour or so of installing the relay kit and swapping headlights can do. And it is a fraction of the cost of the new Holley headlights. I put together this video of the install, only wish I had a before and after shot to show but trust me they are way brighter than stock.

I have been considering ordering the new Holley Retrobright LED headlights after hearing great reviews. The problem is they are crazy expensive ($186/each and I need 4). So I ordered and installed a relay kit from @Crackedback along with Sylvania Xtravision headlights. I had done this previously on my Cuda and they made a huge difference. Again, on my '68 Charger it was amazing to see what an hour or so of installing the relay kit and swapping headlights can do. And it is a fraction of the cost of the new Holley headlights. I put together this video of the install, only wish I had a before and after shot to show but trust me they are way brighter than stock.
On a factory stock charging system with an ammeter, should never add loads directly at the battery. Headlight relays are a good idea, but the lamp load needs to be on the alternator side of the ammeter. If not, the loads are just shifted from the lighting circuit to the ammeter/related connections and the bulkhead charging system connections. The headlamp current draw will also register as false charging current.
If not wanting to go the quality LED route, Hella E-codes are about $250-300 for a 5 ¾” 4-lamp set. Much better lighting over the inexpensive sealed beam halogens.

Last edited:
Expensive is a relative term, relative to???....you get what you pay for.....are you looking for good results or low cost? The two are usually mutually exclusive......
BOB RENTON
Not in this case. Simply you can get more for your money witha little research. Start with uising a simple cube relay to off load the demand on the wire harness. Then buy a good set of Halogen bulbs and get most of the benefits at a better investment.

Not in this case. Simply you can get more for your money witha little research. Start with uising a simple cube relay to off load the demand on the wire harness. Then buy a good set of Halogen bulbs and get most of the benefits at a better investment.
Or use the LED retro-fit replacement luminaries which draw LESS amperage than Halogen lamps, negating the use of SPST "cube relay" and wiring yet provide 2x the light output......even more light output than HID Xenon conversation.......just a little more research......
BOB RENTON

Or use the LED retro-fit replacement luminaries which draw LESS amperage than Halogen lamps, negating the use of SPST "cube relay" and wiring yet provide 2x the light output......even more light output than HID Xenon conversation.......just a little more research......
BOB RENTON
OK

“cube relay” as in Bosch or Bosch style automotive relays? Agree, adding headlights relays can be simple and cheap for those who possess the required skill sets, a relay kit is not absolutely necessary. There is clearly is a market for them, however.

“More for the Money? Comparing the lighting performance of sealed beam Halogens to any of the other modern alternatives mentioned here is not realistic. If the original lighting circuit is in good shape, you can get away with not running relays with the Retrobrights. The current draw is about the same as the original Tungsten based incandescent sealed beam lamps from back in the day, totaling around 15 amps on high beam on a 4-lamp system. No need to have that current running through the stock 16ga lighting circuit, bulkhead connections, and switches.

Last edited:
Octane lighting, I don’t have it on my car yet, but there’s a couple members here with them. You can get 4 housings and 4 bulbs for the price of 1 Holley retro led. Problem with Holley, they love to make everything ridiculously priced

AA26395C-062C-45DD-A076-1F209BEFDC63.png

The headlights and taillights on my 70 Coronet convertible worked but were very dim. Found the headlight harness ground connection was not very good. Re-did the ground connection, and now they are as bright as a stock setup could be. Want to order a relay kit from @Crackedback , but his inbox is full and has not returned my PM. I placed my order four Holley retrobrights with classic Industries. They were a little cheaper $179.99 each. Used their 20% off coupon code on the order and got them for about $150

Octane lighting, I don’t have it on my car yet, but there’s a couple members here with them. You can get 4 housings and 4 bulbs for the price of 1 Holley retro led. Problem with Holley, they love to make everything ridiculously priced

View attachment 1552383
Just like other product categories for our Mopars one has a choice to choose what product and price he wants to pay....
For cylinder heads one get the Trick Flows for $1400 each from Summit or buy a pair of Stealths from 440Source for $1200 a pair.
Or one can buy Hedman headers for $299 from Summit or TTIs' for $950 from Mancini.
The decision choice of buying which brand really depends upon multiple factors including product fit, warranty, quality, performance specs and budget.
Its up to the individual to decide...

Just my $0.02... :thumbsup:

Just like other product categories for our Mopars one has a choice to choose what product and price he wants to pay....
For cylinder heads one get the Trick Flows for $1400 each from Summit or buy a pair of Stealths from 440Source for $1200 a pair.
Or one can buy Hedman headers for $299 from Summit or TTIs' for $950 from Mancini.
The decision choice of buying which brand really depends upon multiple factors including product fit, warranty, quality, performance specs and budget.
Its up to the individual to decide...

Some companies just sell their name.

Some companies just sell their name.
The buyer has always considered proof of brand efficacy as one of the most important factors when making purchasing decisions. But today, the need for substantiated consumer perception claims has a weightier purpose – to protect the brand, and perhaps even the retailer, from legal and regulatory risk. Today’s consumer demands more transparency and accountability for the products marketed by the automotive brands. Providing that proof has become a mandatory step in a product’s journey and is crucial to remaining competitive in an increasingly crowded market. Understand what the consumer expects from your brand, and why substantiated consumer claims provide the validation that consumers are looking for–before opening their wallet.

The headlights and taillights on my 70 Coronet convertible worked but were very dim. Found the headlight harness ground connection was not very good. Re-did the ground connection, and now they are as bright as a stock setup could be. Want to order a relay kit from @Crackedback , but his inbox is full and has not returned my PM. I placed my order four Holley retrobrights with classic Industries. They were a little cheaper $179.99 each. Used their 20% off coupon code on the order and got them for about $150
What was the shipping cost to Hawaii?

Shipping was $96.75. I had a couple other items on the order also.

relay kit is a smart thing to do. it takes the amp load off the dash wiring
Generally, yeah but the LEDs draw a fraction of the current that sealed beams lamps do.
The OP could have done without the relay kit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Auto Transport Service
Back