• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Broke my 7UP Pop Machine today....

Blast cabinets are a double edged sword... The parts turn out great but you can burn hours & hours leaned over a little dark window.. I have a fairly nice cabinet, dropped a grand for it back in the mid nineties.. These days I gather my pieces & head to my buddies auto machine shop... His commercial cabinet can do in ten minutes what mine takes an hour to do..
That was the biggest down side to retiring. Had access to a steel shot machine along with an industrial bead blaster plus larger engine lathes and mills when needed and working the off shift allowed the few of us working that to do things for ourselves. Even the surface grinders came in useful a few times....

On the railroad, we had more than one set of stamps in the tool room. Likely was the case here too.
Yep. Just gave me a giggle considering how bent out of shape the "experts" get about correct stamping fonts when about anything can go.
Worked in a steel mill in the mid 70's and bid into the roll shop and stenciled the rolls after they were finished being remachined. Hey, sometimes I'd speeel ARMCO wrong :D

That was the biggest down side to retiring. Had access to a steel shot machine along with an industrial bead blaster plus larger engine lathes and mills when needed and working the off shift allowed the few of us working that to do things for ourselves. Even the surface grinders came in useful a few times....
Currently I would love to have access to a surface grinder.... And I'm working on it....

Not much done today after losing 1/2 the day to following my tree markers around the property, but some scrubbing bubbles to clean up the vent window seal.
superbirdfullpaint5 001.jpg

Regulator bracket channel needs to come off.
superbirdfullpaint5 003.jpg

Quick rap with a punch to remove the center mandrel.
superbirdfullpaint5 005.jpg

Rivet, gasket, bracket and glass.
superbirdfullpaint5 006.jpg

Managed to save the "H" slider pins on the slider mylar on this one. The mylar itself it toast after 53 years.
superbirdfullpaint5 012.jpg

Pulling the OE door glass to quarter glass seal out of the stainless glass trim edge, seeing the trim edge fell off during handling. I was hoping I didn't have to reset it, but **** happens. I'd bought a "new" piece of trim off an FBBO member for this side, as mine is dinged at the top, but turns out what he shipped me is a drivers side.. ffs.
superbirdfullpaint5 016.jpg

3439022 is the original part number 82750 the vendor.
superbirdfullpaint5 017.jpg

New 32230 mylar ready to punch holes for the slider pins, cut to length and install.
superbirdfullpaint5 020.jpg

Not much done today after losing 1/2 the day to following my tree markers around the property, but some scrubbing bubbles to clean up the vent window seal.
View attachment 1444516
Regulator bracket channel needs to come off.
View attachment 1444517
Quick rap with a punch to remove the center mandrel.
View attachment 1444518
Rivet, gasket, bracket and glass.
View attachment 1444519
Managed to save the "H" slider pins on the slider mylar on this one. The mylar itself it toast after 53 years.
View attachment 1444520
Pulling the OE door glass to quarter glass seal out of the stainless glass trim edge, seeing the trim edge fell off during handling. I was hoping I didn't have to reset it, but **** happens. I'd bought a "new" piece of trim off an FBBO member for this side, as mine is dinged at the top, but turns out what he shipped me is a drivers side.. ffs.
View attachment 1444522
3439022 is the original part number 82750 the vendor.
View attachment 1444523
New 32230 mylar ready to punch holes for the slider pins, cut to length and install.
View attachment 1444524
How long do you leave the scrubbing bubbles on there?

A minute or two and then wipe. Stuff is the BEST cleaner I've ever used on vinyl roofs. It lifts the dirt out of the grain...
I have a steering wheel in my 97 diesel that needs cleaning....and absolutely nothing has worked on it yet. It was bad when I got it in around 2001 and got it better but still not happy with it.

I'd bought a used door glass rear edge trim for the "passenger" side, but turns out it's actually a drivers side. So I guess I'll fix the one off of the car that's been damaged since I bought the car. You'd swear it went through a pop machine...
superbirdfullpaint5 022.jpg

Full of dings and dents so I punched those proud from behind.
superbirdfullpaint5 023.jpg

File all the lumps smooth.
superbirdfullpaint5 031.jpg

Work through the sand paper grades starting with some 220.
superbirdfullpaint5 035.jpg

400/800/1000/2000
superbirdfullpaint5 037.jpg

Then onto the buffing wheels with Black on the hard wheel and green compound on the soft.
superbirdfullpaint5 042.jpg

Guess that'll do !
superbirdfullpaint5 047.jpg

Need to run the glass rear guide channel through the blaster before installing the new rubber/felt.
superbirdfullpaint5 049.jpg

Removing the glass setting tape from the glass rear edge trim. This one let go a lot easier than the drivers side did.
superbirdfullpaint5 054.jpg

Quick clean with some 80 grit so I can reset the trim onto the glass with setting tape.
superbirdfullpaint5 056.jpg

New flocked seal ready to go into the trim.
superbirdfullpaint5 058.jpg

Seal pushed down into place and then the small lock tab forced into the trim with some plastic trim tools.
superbirdfullpaint5 064.jpg

Extra seal cut off to the profile of the stainless trim.
superbirdfullpaint5 065.jpg

Needs a bit of clipping to clean it up, but ready to install back onto the door glass.
superbirdfullpaint5 068.jpg

New flocked seal ready to go into the trim.
View attachment 1444970
Seal pushed down into place and then the small lock tab forced into the trim with some plastic trim tools.
View attachment 1444971
Extra seal cut off to the profile of the stainless trim.
View attachment 1444972
Needs a bit of clipping to clean it up, but ready to install back onto the door glass.
View attachment 1444973
How old are you these days?? Man, at my age, there's no way I could do all of this!

Nice work going on here!! I did’t know they still make Scrubbing Bubbles!

LOL Dave, 61. Hurt every forkin day, but I have since I was 18...
Didn't start hurting until about my mid 30's and even then, it wasn't too bad. Now if I pick up a half full bucket of water, I need to do it just right or it'll make me hurt for a couple of days at least.

I’ve done a fair amount of trim repair, straightening and polishing. I can vouch for it being very tedious, hunched over a bench or buffer for hours, peering at surface reflections, waves, tool dings, and fine scratches. It’s a tough job to do right. :thumbsup:

You sure are moving along quickly, nice work my friend.....

Auto Transport Service
Back