• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze flake in oil?

Zeppelin264

Local time
3:09 AM
Reaction score
I think I know the answer to my question but has anyone seen the dist intermediate shaft bushing start to break apart and end up in the oil as ground up flakes? I cant think of anywhere else in the motor I'd find bronze material that would end up in the oil.

It didn't come out of the pan while draining, but we cut the filter in half and that's when we noticed it! I'm hoping I dodged a bullet on this one and it's just that bushing failing and hopefully didnt cause any damage to the motor.

Has anyone else seen this before?

Is this a new rebuild and recently broke in?

Does a magnet pick up the bronze shavings?

Not finding it in the pan sounds promising...I would run it with a new filter and check it again....You will probably be ok....

I'd pull distributor and oil pump drive gear, is it bronze? Then check bushing in block, for peace of mind. Don't want to eat up cam for an hours work.

Drive gear is hardened steel. Going to check the bronze bushing this week. I already ordered a new one.

The motor has 6k on it. Done probably 3-4 oil changes, never seen this.

Thanks for the reply's!

Not uncommon for those to be tight when replaced, the shop should have clearanced it for a proper fit though. Hope all is well.

Could be your thrust bearing. check your end play on your crankshaft. Is your car automatic ? converter could be ballooning and pushing the crank forward wearing the thrust bearing as its running. happened to me on a 440 a few years back. checked 727 line pressure and installed a anti-ballooning plate on the converter.

I did just swap it to an auto last thanksgiving. Its a PTC converter and should be anti ballooning.

Interesting. I'll have to check that out as well. Thanks!

How is the idle oil pressure hot? Has it changed?
Doug

Called PTC and anything in the 9.5" range gets anti balloon plates as standard. So I'm hoping that rules that out.

Oil pressure hot and cold have not changed at all. 75ish cold and 25-30 hot idle.

Investigating more on Saturday.

I think I know the answer to my question but has anyone seen the dist intermediate shaft bushing start to break apart and end up in the oil as ground up flakes? I cant think of anywhere else in the motor I'd find bronze material that would end up in the oil.

It didn't come out of the pan while draining, but we cut the filter in half and that's when we noticed it! I'm hoping I dodged a bullet on this one and it's just that bushing failing and hopefully didnt cause any damage to the motor.

Has anyone else seen this before?
Yes sir, it was when my Torque converter ballooned and caused the Thrust bearing to go out. My hope it isn't what it was cause it was inexpensive fix. Hopefully you have anti ballooning on the converter.

good luck :(

It's a good idea to occasionally cut the filter open. But if the oil pressure has not changed at all over 6K miles, one flake it is probably nothing to worry about. If you're nervous check the crankshaft endplay with a dial indicator on the balancer. You can have assembly debris that finally found it's way through the oil pump screen too.

Yea, I'm going to check the shaft bushing first, and if that's not it then check for crank shaft play. I read it should be like .004-.005 or so? Less or more and it's an issue with thrust bearings.

If I never cut the filter open, I would have never known! Maybe sometimes ignorance is bliss! haha

You want no more than .010. That gives ya .005 for and aft.

Auto Transport Service
Back