• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre-Oil or Not to Pre-Oil

Runner 68

Tarnished Bronze Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:23 AM
Reaction score
I'll cut to the chase.
500 low deck stroker. Broken in on the Dyno plus ~10 power pulls after that. All systems go. Timing set perfectly.
That was last June. The engine has been sitting since then with monthly manual roll overs.
We will fire it for the first time in the car this weekend. Should I pre-oil it again after that long and pull the distributor or should we be good to go?
The Dyno guys say no, no need to pre-oil again. It's broken in.

What do you gurus think?

How much did the engine cost vs how much effort does it take to pre oil it? Your decision but I always pre oil. I am thinking of putting one of those oil reserve pressure thingys on my race car.

How much did the engine cost vs how much effort does it take to pre oil it? Your decision but I always pre oil. I am thinking of putting one of those oil reserve pressure thingys on my race car.
I agree with the "thingy" (accumulator). For the cost, you get the peace of mind of knowing your engine will be full of oil before cranking any time you fire it up. I have 3 of them on 3 of my vehicles. My stuff does sit for several months between use.
Mike

Last edited:
Wise words NX. Thanks.
While pulling the dizzy and getting the timing back to where it was is fairly easy but a pain in the @ss, it's far better than potentially spinning a bearing.

I can not think of a good reason not to pre
oil it.

I think I’d be tempted to dump the oil and filter and prelube it.
The oil was dumped after the dyno session and filter cut open and inspected. Clean as your sister with a little glitter added.
Fresh charge in it now.

I pre oil any engine I care about after sitting 3 months. Especially a new(tight) one.

Removing Distributor, mark hold down with a sharpie marker and Distributor and pull off plug wire where rotor sits.

No need to pull the dizzy, pull the plugs, disconnect the coil wire and spin the engine over with the starter for a bit... oil will get to where it needs to be. Fire it up and have a beverage or two while you marvel at your creation :thumbsup:.

I think it's easier to pull the distributor than all the spark plugs.

Personally I think its being over cautious to pre oil. Fill oil filter and fire it up. But I got less $ in my entire car then you probably have in engine.

Lube... or not to lube.... that is the question
1706624382952.png

No need to pull the dizzy, pull the plugs, disconnect the coil wire and spin the engine over with the starter for a bit... oil will get to where it needs to be. Fire it up and have a beverage or two while you marvel at your creation :thumbsup:.

Personally I think its being over cautious to pre oil. Fill oil filter and fire it up. But I got less $ in my entire car then you probably have in engine.
Right here are your answers. No money or time in the engine? Go for it. Want to spin it over dry with no oil pressure? Then use this method. Pulling the distributor is a pain? You know what is a pain? Pullling the pan is a pain. Want to protect your investment? Prime it. No need to retime it. Mark the housing and rotor, pull the dist and pump drive and prime. Drop it back in in the same location. Won't take 15 minutes.
Doug

I thought of that and I agree with Dave, it's probably easier to pull the distributer than the plugs but my plug wires are loomed so tight I probably will need to pull all the wires off the dizzy to get it out. Not to worried about that, it's the f@cking intermediate shaft I hate dealing with. Thanks for all the input guys.

On any high dollar engine I can't imagine why you'd even wonder if you should. I always pre oil after something like that has been sitting a while. Being broken in is only part of the picture. I want to know all the bearing surfaces have a coating of oil before cranking it over to start. Peace of mind is worth a lot to me.

Winter storage in WI

So every car that gets put away six months out of the year , we where supposed to bee pre-oiling the engine before spring start up

I learned something new after 35 years

When I pull a distributor put a piece of tape on distributor base to block note rotor position. Then slice the tape so tape stays on distributor and block. Pull distributor and note oil pump drive position. Work backward to assemble.

Auto Transport Service
Back