• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre-Oil or Not to Pre-Oil

Always love the Red X when someone asks a question, because they don't know, and don't like the answer!

Well, I've been doing it my way for about a year now. Nice to know somebody out there is making those hex rod tools, but I'm afraid I don't see how turning the pump that way does anything different from turning it with the starter. I'll be repainting the rocker covers soon, so I'll have a chance to see what it looks like under them. Thanks for the advice. 2 quarts is half of a full load, minus the volume of the filter, so I would guess that is enough to prime the pump, but I could be wrong.

'69 Charger 383 HP: Body has been under restoration since August 2022. Meanwhile, engine was rebuilt and returned to me in March 2023. Until it is reinstalled, engine rebuilder recommended periodically oiling the engine via the oil pump drive under the distributor using a drill motor. I was unable to find a hex rod to accomplish that approach, so I installed the starter, starter relay, spare ignition switch and an external battery. Two quarts of oil and ZDDP additive are in the pan. With the plugs out, I spin the engine 10 or so revs once a month. Is this setup adequate to keep the engine sufficiently oiled until reinstallation?

View attachment 1602962
Mancini for hex. 45yrs ago took the proper hex hex cut into two pieced. Got a piece of 3/8"steel log enough to reach oil pump and be out of Distributor hole 4". ground 3/8"of more of hex to fit inside each end of tube. Brazed them to tube. Crude but worked.

I'm using a laptop and I don't have a smart phone to scroll on. If I hit that red X, it was inadvertent. I certainly didn't intend to click it, so sorry if I did.

I'm using a laptop and I don't have a smart phone to scroll on. If I hit that red X, it was inadvertent. I certainly didn't intend to click it, so sorry if I did.
Well you can go back and "un click" it.. and remove all doubt! Thanks!

All went well today. Fired up like a champ. Pre-Lube, yes, a bit of a hassle getting the intermediate shaft back in correctly, yes....but worth the time. Thank god it's not a small block. :p
Thanks guys.

Last edited:
I bought an aluminum rod ~3/8 x 2' at Lowes, Home Depo, or Rurul King, ground a hex on one end and 3 flats on the top for the drill. Aluminum so to be like a bearing material for if it rubs the intermediate shaft bushing but grease/oil it anyway. Some of the intermediate shafts I've got where finicky (probably because of quality) on the hex end and only like one spot index wise, so I took a bottle cap cut a hole shoved it ~1/4 way down from the top of the rod and magic marker it for a 12 o'clock position (of which I can rotate if needed). So when I'm through priming I can rotate right to 12 and the intermediate goes back without issue.

Oh, bout forgot, this is on a Hemi not a wedge where I wasn't rotating the crank cause of the grooved #4 journal.

Last edited:
Just went through this a few hrs ago on my 499. All this dizzy work for pri oiling is the reason I put a pri-oiler on my 557,...just flip a switch or push a button.

11.JPG

IMG_4428 - Copy.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back