• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Budget paint (Summit etc) how does it hold up ?

My 62 Fury wagon, hope to paint this year. All mopars are great...But 62's are very Special.

P1040827.JPG

The car hobby is expensive. I've been in it for 50 plus years. I've alway had to do it with a limited budget. As the years go buy the cost get higher, you all know that. I need to paint my 62 Plymouth. Called today to get prices on paint...the prices they told me are not in my budget ( not even close ! )..As much a I would like to use a Factory color. I may need to look at other options , at a lower price point. I have been looking at Summit Racing paint colors (no they are not factory colors..I may have to accept that ). And as much as I prefer a factory color, I guess some of those summit colors may be close enough for the general color concept.
Can any of you tell me you opinion oy Summit paint. How well does it hold up ? Or maybe you guys can tell me of other brands of budget paint that might be of better quality. There is just no way I can spend $250-$400 a gallon for paint , plus clear, plus all the other needed items, to paint a complete car, engine bay and door jambs...I have no real brand prefferance. Base coat..or even single stage. The car is parked inside 99% of the time
There used to be a paint/body shop vendor pre covid that traveled the car show circuit. He was from NY area?. He had a tent full of various paints ad colors, etc at prices today would sell out on the first day.
I bought a lot of material from him.
My show attendance has waned post covid, but I have never seen him again.
Wonder if he is still around?

Last edited:
My friends Ford is painted with Summit base/clear, it laid down nice and seems to be holding up well…

5 qts sprayable. 3 wet coats no engine bay or door jambs. Had almost a pint leftover.
View attachment 1642039
I've been checking into Restoratio Shop paint kits. This may be my answer. I don't think that a local paint supplier could come close to these prices, with free shipping also. Have you use much of the products ? BCCC ? Looks like they sell kit with 2 different clears (std-deluxe).

I've been checking into Restoratio Shop paint kits. This may be my answer. I don't think that a local paint supplier could come close to these prices, with free shipping also. Have you use much of the products ? BCCC ? Looks like they sell kit with 2 different clears (std-deluxe).
Only used their paint the one time but have bought other supplies from TCP and have been happy. I wouldn't hesitate to use the BC/CC from them. I would go with the higher line clear though. It would probably last the longest.

The car hobby is expensive. I've been in it for 50 plus years. I've alway had to do it with a limited budget. As the years go buy the cost get higher, you all know that. I need to paint my 62 Plymouth. Called today to get prices on paint...the prices they told me are not in my budget ( not even close ! )..As much a I would like to use a Factory color. I may need to look at other options , at a lower price point. I have been looking at Summit Racing paint colors (no they are not factory colors..I may have to accept that ). And as much as I prefer a factory color, I guess some of those summit colors may be close enough for the general color concept.
Can any of you tell me you opinion oy Summit paint. How well does it hold up ? Or maybe you guys can tell me of other brands of budget paint that might be of better quality. There is just no way I can spend $250-$400 a gallon for paint , plus clear, plus all the other needed items, to paint a complete car, engine bay and door jambs...I have no real brand prefferance. Base coat..or even single stage. The car is parked inside 99% of the time
Good friend of mine worked 20 years for a PPG Platinum dealer and now works for PPG themselves as a rep. Whatever you use, go with a name brand manufacturer, whether it PPG, Dupont, BASF. They make off brands, Omni, Nason, etc.. But do your research, many of the base or single stage won't have the same pigment content, meaning more coats to cover. So did you really save money ? Also, the clears may not have UV resistance, or as much as the name brand paint. So is your paint gonna fade in 2 yrs ? The cheaper paints are meant for someone who wants a quick paint job, then to sell it, or maybe a car that's always garaged. DO your research, cause to redo it in 2-3 yrs it'll cost more in the long run than to spend a little extra now, and have paint that'll still look good in 20 yrs. I did my car in PPG 20 yrs ago, still shines like day 1.

Good friend of mine worked 20 years for a PPG Platinum dealer and now works for PPG themselves as a rep. Whatever you use, go with a name brand manufacturer, whether it PPG, Dupont, BASF. They make off brands, Omni, Nason, etc.. But do your research, many of the base or single stage won't have the same pigment content, meaning more coats to cover. So did you really save money ? Also, the clears may not have UV resistance, or as much as the name brand paint. So is your paint gonna fade in 2 yrs ? The cheaper paints are meant for someone who wants a quick paint job, then to sell it, or maybe a car that's always garaged. DO your research, cause to redo it in 2-3 yrs it'll cost more in the long run than to spend a little extra now, and have paint that'll still look good in 20 yrs. I did my car in PPG 20 yrs ago, still shines like day 1.
Good points. I understand. The car will be garaged 99 percent of the time.

Only used their paint the one time but have bought other supplies from TCP and have been happy. I wouldn't hesitate to use the BC/CC from them. I would go with the higher line clear though. It would probably last the longest.
How long ago did you paint your car ? How has the paint held up ? does it sit out/ or garaged most of the time ? thanks for all of your help.

How long ago did you paint your car ? How has the paint held up ? does it sit out/ or garaged most of the time ? thanks for all of your help.
I only painted it a year and a half ago so can't speak of durability but here in Phoenix even the best paint won't hold up long outside. Mine are always stored inside after being painted. I have a regular customer who has me paint a car for him and then he never gets around to finishing them up. Two of them just sat out in the sun and even though they were painted with top of the line PPG they went to Hell in about 4 years. Any car with a nice paint job should not be stored outside.

Last edited:
I only painted it a year and a half ago so can't speak of durability but here in Phoenix even the best paint won't hold up long outside. Mine are always stored inside after being painted. I have a regular customer who has me paint a car for him and then he never gets around to finishing them up. Two of them just sat out in the sun and even though they were painted with top of the line PPG they went to Hell in about 4 years. Any car with a nice paint job should not be stored outside.
One more question. You said you did not paint the door jambs etc. But how well/ close did the Restoration shop paint match the factory Spannaker White ?

One more question. You said you did not paint the door jambs etc. But how well/ close did the Restoration shop paint match the factory Spannaker White ?
You can tell the difference but the 45 year old paint is definatly faded and yellowed so matching it probably isn't possible. I'll get a picture in a bit.

Actually looking at it it looks pretty close. Not sure if the pictures show it but it's hard to tell the difference.
20240408_072844.jpg
20240408_072933.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back