• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Budget paint (Summit etc) how does it hold up ?

rustytoolss

Local time
3:44 AM
Reaction score
The car hobby is expensive. I've been in it for 50 plus years. I've alway had to do it with a limited budget. As the years go buy the cost get higher, you all know that. I need to paint my 62 Plymouth. Called today to get prices on paint...the prices they told me are not in my budget ( not even close ! )..As much a I would like to use a Factory color. I may need to look at other options , at a lower price point. I have been looking at Summit Racing paint colors (no they are not factory colors..I may have to accept that ). And as much as I prefer a factory color, I guess some of those summit colors may be close enough for the general color concept.
Can any of you tell me you opinion oy Summit paint. How well does it hold up ? Or maybe you guys can tell me of other brands of budget paint that might be of better quality. There is just no way I can spend $250-$400 a gallon for paint , plus clear, plus all the other needed items, to paint a complete car, engine bay and door jambs...I have no real brand prefferance. Base coat..or even single stage. The car is parked inside 99% of the time

Yes, it's insane how much primer and paint costs now. I'm working on my last paint job (i hope) and the epoxy primer alone almost gave me a stroke. I'll be building and blocking this summer and probably painting it next summer. It seems to hurt less when you spread the pain out!

I have not used the Summit paint but may consider it. My theory is that if its garage kept it will last longer than me.

Going with a product like omni single stage mtk. 9300 paint last years prices were anyplace from $75 to $250 per gal depending on color.
Activator 167 aprox $60 qt.
Omni epoxy primer aprox $150 gal , and another 50/$60 for activator.
Reducer 186 omni another $60 aprox.
What ever brand you go for stay with it do not mix products.
Stay away from the $50 swap meet paint. Omni MTK will hold up pretty well for a single stage, buffs up nice.
I have never used Summit paints.

Last edited:
I Used omni base /clear coat 3 years ago. Holds up very well but a little more $$ than single stage. If you can swing it keep it the original color.

Mine was bright red with white sweep stripe.

20230812_220700 (1).jpg

i am getting close to buying paint also . it’s been expensive getting to this point in body panels and supplies ! do i skimp on final finish now ? it would be a shame . after the large investment getting to this point to miss my mark and pick a substandard top coat . we will see , i have yet to place the paint order but it’s gettin real close . yep , i’m in a color change so it will need lots of color. but at least i don’t have to match with a previous color ….i thought picking my color was a difficult choice , now i have to afford it also … times are tuff ….

The car hobby is expensive. I've been in it for 50 plus years. I've alway had to do it with a limited budget. As the years go buy the cost get higher, you all know that. I need to paint my 62 Plymouth. Called today to get prices on paint...the prices they told me are not in my budget ( not even close ! )..As much a I would like to use a Factory color. I may need to look at other options , at a lower price point. I have been looking at Summit Racing paint colors (no they are not factory colors..I may have to accept that ). And as much as I prefer a factory color, I guess some of those summit colors may be close enough for the general color concept.
Can any of you tell me you opinion oy Summit paint. How well does it hold up ? Or maybe you guys can tell me of other brands of budget paint that might be of better quality. There is just no way I can spend $250-$400 a gallon for paint , plus clear, plus all the other needed items, to paint a complete car, engine bay and door jambs...I have no real brand prefferance. Base coat..or even single stage. The car is parked inside 99% of the time
After stressing bout it i got mine from vintagepaint muy '62 is pp1 red and it matched pretty much perfectly and the price was better than anyone else i could find....

I'm a bad painter or this would be better :(

2023-07-06 22.12.02.jpg

Does anyone know about Wanda paints ?..only ask because they promote Norwalk raceway..the name got stuck in my head.

I've had good luck with Nason's Full-cryl II single stage.

I painted my 70 300 Spinnaker White single stage Acrylic Urethane using Restoration Shop paint from TCP Global. Was very impressed with it and I've made a living doing paint & body since 1972. Mixes 4-1 and gallon of paint and quart of hardener were $224. They also have it in BC/CC for $318 everything included. Other colors might be a little more but still reasonable. You can get it through E Bay.
20221222_164221.jpg
20221222_164349.jpg

I painted my 70 300 Spinnaker White single stage Acrylic Urethane using Restoration Shop paint from TCP Global. Was very impressed with it and I've made a living doing paint & body since 1972. Mixes 4-1 and gallon of paint and quart of hardener were $224. They also have it in BC/CC for $318 everything included. Other colors might be a little more but still reasonable. You can get it through E Bay.
View attachment 1641658View attachment 1641659

View attachment 1641658View attachment 1641659
Since you've been doing this for a long time. I have some VERY old Dupont 615 Vari prime self etching primer, and 616 Vari prime converter (both never opened) . would this be OK to use on my engine bay? I did open the 615 and stirred it up in the can..mixed ok. I know almost nothing about painting. Your car looks great...thinking of painting my 62 white.

P1040827.JPG

The question would be about the convertor. Most catalysts and hardeners have a shelf life. I'm not sure if a convertor does. I would try it on a small area or a piece of scrap to make sure it sprays well and dries. If so it should be OK. While on the subject of Self Etching primers they work great on bare metal but don't use them over any plastic fillers (AKA) Bondo as the acid in them can soften the fillers.

Does anyone know about Wanda paints ?..only ask because they promote Norwalk raceway..the name got stuck in my head.
I used Wanda base/SPI clear. It's good paint. AkzoNobel is the parent company. They also make single stage in U-Tech which I used for ermine white on my 62. Holds up very well.

The question would be about the convertor. Most catalysts and hardeners have a shelf life. I'm not sure if a convertor does. I would try it on a small area or a piece of scrap to make sure it sprays well and dries. If so it should be OK. While on the subject of Self Etching primers they work great on bare metal but don't use them over any plastic fillers (AKA) Bondo as the acid in them can soften the fillers.
Did you get a full gallon of paint ? seen some say can was only 3/4 full.

5 qts sprayable. 3 wet coats no engine bay or door jambs. Had almost a pint leftover.
20240406_135724.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back