• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Build a Charger?

You could spend a lot of time debating/discussing why G2 Chargers are in such demand but in the end, it is what it is. I have had a 68, 69 and a 70 and to be very honest was never a big fan of them, I much prefer the Roadrunner or GTX over the Charger mainly because I love the Air Grabber hoods. The lines are ok but again I much prefer the E body lines. IMO the G2 Charger has become so desirable due to the media and I remember a time when the E bodies were at the top of the ladder (Hemi ones still are).

All this said, if someone just loves the G2 Charger then its a better idea to get some money saved up and buy one bc if you construct one you will never be happy bc you will always know it isn't a true Charger. Then again, there are a lot of options out there and I absolutely think that many of the custom builds are viable, hell I think putting the sheet metal on a Crown Vic is very cool especially if you were going to make a truly custom car/racer. You could even dump the Ford crap and put in a G3 Hemi drive train, do a custom interior, etc. but in the end you would have a Crown Vic that looked like a Charger no matter how cool it was and perhaps that is enough...
For me right now that might be just enough...

That sounds like a good problem to me!

Some day I hope to build something with the cars in it and living space around them....:D

I'm an enormous jerk. When I started showing cars I would walk the show field and take photos of other cars as well as mine. I'd look at them when I got home and realized I didn't want to look at other cars. In five years of showing, I've only seen other 69 Chargers at maybe 3 shows, even at a show with over 1000 cars and I average 20 shows a year. (This does not include Mopar shows). So when I go to a show, I get it ready and then take photos of my car. I took pictures of it on the way home. I have taken a crap load of photos. It is an easy car to photograph because it is beautiful from almost any angle. I've had enlargements made, dry mounted and framed and put them up in my kitchen. What can I say? This is my first love. I hope you find your car and can have the same experience.

IMO the G2 Charger has become so desirable due to the media

The media might have something to do with it but it's kind of what came first? The chicken or the egg? The media could promote a butt ugly car and maybe it would become popular but I seriously doubt it. The 2nd gen Chargers popularity and desirability is not undeserved.

The media might have something to do with it but it's kind of what came first? The chicken or the egg? The media could promote a butt ugly car and maybe it would become popular but I seriously doubt it. The 2nd gen Chargers popularity and desirability is not undeserved.

Before The Fast and The Furious, the ‘70 Charger was considered a second best to the ‘69. That changed overnight.

Before The Fast and The Furious, the ‘70 Charger was considered a second best to the ‘69. That changed overnight.

Not for me. :D
I like both though and would take a Hemi 70 over a 440 69 any day.

Some day I hope to build something with the cars in it and living space around them....:D

I'm an enormous jerk. When I started showing cars I would walk the show field and take photos of other cars as well as mine. I'd look at them when I got home and realized I didn't want to look at other cars. In five years of showing, I've only seen other 69 Chargers at maybe 3 shows, even at a show with over 1000 cars and I average 20 shows a year. (This does not include Mopar shows). So when I go to a show, I get it ready and then take photos of my car. I took pictures of it on the way home. I have taken a crap load of photos. It is an easy car to photograph because it is beautiful from almost any angle. I've had enlargements made, dry mounted and framed and put them up in my kitchen. What can I say? This is my first love. I hope you find your car and can have the same experience.
The 70 in my profile pic was my first love...I got it in 1982 and paid $425 bucks for it - from a dealership! Long story as to why I don't have it anymore, but someday I'll have a replacement. Maybe that love I still have is because it was my first car, but I totally agree with you - they are beautiful. And freaking cool!!

They ruined that car. And they wrecked too many of them.
Just to settle this which will probably piss someone off. I just talked to an expert who has been working with these cars for over 40yrs. I asked which is more valuable among the three 2G Chargers. He listed them as first: 69, second: 68, and third: 70. He says FF hasn't changed any of that. He gave examples of how a 70 has to be a top notch car to get noticed. Just looking at what is selling and how much with 69's is indicative of what he's saying.

Well at least there was plum crazy purple in 1970. (My favorite car color PERIOD) Mix that up with a white vinyl top and a white vinyl interior and finally the car looks drop dead sexy.

Wish they had that in 69...
1731861683.jpg

I would go with this colors if i was going to build a restomod 69 charger.

Just to settle this which will probably piss someone off. I just talked to an expert who has been working with these cars for over 40yrs. I asked which is more valuable among the three 2G Chargers. He listed them as first: 69, second: 68, and third: 70. He says FF hasn't changed any of that. He gave examples of how a 70 has to be a top notch car to get noticed. Just looking at what is selling and how much with 69's is indicative of what he's saying.

Who cares what one guy thinks...

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1970-dodge-charger-9/

prices have gone up since then.

Gen 2 are the best looking muscle car built , sexy lines and curves to make a German or Italian car jealous! Yes I have a 70 and it gets more attention than you can shake a stick at.

When I say it was my first love I meant it was because it was a 2cd gen Charger...My favorite is actually the 69... always wanted one, and still do. I'd take any of the three if I got the the chance! But that 1st one started it all for me.

prices have gone up since then.

He may be just one guy but he has a LOT of customers. He did say a top notch car like the one you linked would bring a lot of money. He gets calls from people looking for cars and 69's are what is requested the most. There's a 69 on Ebay for $239K.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284456590252?hash=item423aef1bac:g:sfYAAOSwapZgjmTN

$129K

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284461446519?hash=item423b393577:g:saMAAOSwm7xhBSuw

$110K

https://www.ebay.com/itm/165089751860?hash=item26701db334:g:eaEAAOSwby5e4ZoE

Who cares what one guy thinks depends on the guy. If he said 70 was in higher demand than 69 it wouldn't matter to me, I'd still love that year. It just happens to be in demand.

Right when covid started i could have bought a 69 hemi charger with warranty replacement block, repainted, nice but not restored for about 90-100k usd.
Unfortunately that was more than i was able to swing. This one probably is nicer but these prices are just nuts.
Not to long ago a restored 69 charger r/t 440 auto sold for about 105k usd in the netherlands. Before they tried to sell it @ ~ 80k usd for years.

To me the 68/69 are the same car but the 70 has much more character. Some can say what they want but between Dirty Mary Crazy Larry, Dukes of Hazards, Bullet, Fast and Furious, etc. the G2 Charge rose to prominence above many others artificially. I say this not bc I am a hater or am trying to talk smack about the breed, but because outside of Mopar fans most would not know a Charger from a Dart, subsequently many who came into money decided to become collectors and wanted the car they had seen so many times in the media.

I am not saying that the Charger doesn't have beautiful lines or anything of the sort, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I can say with certainty that back in the mid to late 70's the Charger was seen as a "big" or even "fat" car by many. IMO it was not until the culmination of all of the media coverage and subsequent fame from many sources to include auctions and forums that the G2 Charger became made of unobtainum available to the select few who can pony up 5 figures to buy rusted out roller.

There are many cars such as the Superbee, Coronet RT, etc. that have beautiful lines and are probably rarer but they do not get the same notoriety as the Charger. As I said, prior to this rise to the stratosphere they were seen as desirable (were from day one) but the E bodies were generally regarded as nearer the top of the desirability table, but then the stars and moon aligned and all a sudden the Charger started to gain momentum (due very much to the FF franchise) and then the frenzy started with everyone who could spell Charger felt that they needed one and this caused the values/prices to skyrocket.

I know several here will disagree and thats fine and I will say up front that had I ever came across a G2 Charger project that was reasonably priced I would have bought it (as I said I did 3 times back in the day) but currently they are so over priced the "juice is not worth the squeeze" at all at least for me.

Auto Transport Service
Back