• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cable shift conundrum.

abloch

Local time
7:24 AM
Reaction score
Vehicle: '62 Dart that was once a /6 with a 904 trans. Now 440 w/727.

Conundrum: In order to adjust for neutral position the cable has been inserted past the o-ring causing the trans to leak at the cable. The adjuster wheel is damn near bottomed out on the threads (all the way in) and some of the buttons are not engaging.

If I select DRIVE from NEUTRAL position, car will shift normally through all three gears. If I select LOW from the NEUTRAL position button will lock in the low position but the trans is actually in SECOND. If I first select DRIVE and then opt for LOW the button won't even lock in, nor will it shift into LOW. From NEUTRAL I can select all positions and the buttons will lock I just cannot get LOW.

As I type this out I am thinking I can try to adjust the cable for the correct shift pattern but I would be unable to get the rooster comb to align to the neutral safety switch which would prevent starting.

So I am thinking that the cable maybe different from one trans to the other or I have another problem that I hope one of you will be able to enlighten me on.

Any and all input greatly appreciated, Drue

You may have an incorrect 'comb' like from a 64 or 65 tranny. 62 and 63 interchange

service manual says to adjust with the tranny in low position. i haven't played with mine in sometime but pretty sure thats how i done it and may have had the pan off at that same time to verify everything.

service manual says to adjust with the tranny in low position. i haven't played with mine in sometime but pretty sure thats how i done it and may have had the pan off at that same time to verify everything.

That would be correct,with someone holding the low button. I like to adjust with the pan off so I can see the tit of the rooster at the neutral safety switch.

Attachments

• 10.27.12 006.jpg
    10.27.12 006.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 216
I have confirmed that there were three different cable lengths available in '62. 42", 44" and 48". Dash is coming out so I can measure and replace the short cable. Fingers crossed.

I had several issues this year with mine. First the plastic style and metal style neutral safety switch's are different lengths. The rooster comb can get hung up on the switch when switching directions. Such as reverse to neutral or drive to neutral. If this is the case you can adjust until the sun sets and it won't fix it. I didn't have the correct switch and plenty of the others so I trimmed the rooster come neutral pin on the grinder. This led me to my next issue. The cable at the shifter end was oversize. I don't know why as it appeared to be made that way. The other cable's I had were tight, but to short. This allowed the cable to be sloppy on the pin. I made bushing out of brass tubing. The next item is that on the transmission end of the inner cable there are two different style "bullets" that correspond to two different style adapters on the valve body. Stop now, pull the pan. Watch the shifter while moving the buttons. (I know upside down under the dash isn't fun.). And then watch the rooster with the pan off while it is being shifted. It will become quite clear whats happening when you watch. Then figure out which parts are miss matched. Correct as necessary. The stack up of mismatched parts in mine hung the manual valve between 2nd and 3rd on a 9.20 pass and locked the rear tires due to being in 2nd and 3rd together, very exciting.
Doug

Were the skid marks only on the track??,,,,,,,,,LOL. I had a pucker moment when I blew out a freeze plug at 130+ mph!

What year is the transmission? The adjustment procedure is different for a 65 trans than a 62 trans. Use the manual for the year that matches the trans. Hope this helps.

Just a FYI,, on several different cars just removing and cleaning the push button assembly made a world of problems go away.. Just a thought.

Auto Transport Service
Back