• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cam lasted 5 minutes

Tony 69

Local time
7:32 AM
Reaction score
This is a Ford 429 BB I have at work. Machine shop checked heads and put on new double springs to match the cam we bought from them. So easy right? New cam, lifters, and check heads. Flat hydraulic tappet no adjustment. POS didn’t last 5 minutes and we can’t figure out why except crappy parts.
Glad it wasn’t my car!! Any ideas of what could have happened? It is a simple engine, used plenty of assembly lube, cam thrust plate installed. I am baffled.

70967087492__53D9ABDB-8743-4CE4-9A64-EF2F19C82FDD.jpeg

IMG_0822.jpeg

IMG_0824.jpeg

Haven’t determined that yet. Would probably need to send out the metal particles and have that check to match the cam or lifter. I just do t know

Never break a cam in with double springs. A lifter could not be spinning. How were the lifter bores prepped? Plenty of cam lube on the lobes and lifter faces?

You are correct. The lifters were not spinning. Ground the ____ out of them. The bores were lubed and lifters spinning easily. The machine shop said he has seen this a couple of times but did not know why, so he is warranty the parts. I just don’t want to do it 3 times! It’s not fun anymore

Now you have to pull it out and do a complete tear down and clean everything completely. Take the oil pump apart and clean it well. Inspect everything closely.

I already have the oil pan off and have cleaned and cleaned. I’ll do the pump too. About 1/2 lifters had to come out the bottom because they we’re mushroom.

So… is the general consensus is that the springs could have caused this? Makes sense to me because I see nothing wrong.

I already have the oil pan off and have cleaned and cleaned. I’ll do the pump too. About 1/2 lifters had to come out the bottom because they we’re mushroom.

So… is the general consensus is that the springs could have caused this? Makes sense to me because I see nothing wrong.
You need to pull it and completely tear it down and clean the crap out of it. That metal grit hides everywhere.

Not could have, did. Double springs on a modern flat tappet camshaft, especially during break in, will knock the lobes off every time.
Look at it logically, if it were a bad lifter, maybe one or 2 would be bad, but you have every lifter wiped during break in. What does every lifter have in common? Valve springs, installed height, valves, rocker arms, adjustment(too much preload?), pushrods. Really only a couple things in that commonality list actually could cause them ALL to fail, imho, that would be preload way too tight, springs too stiff or coil bind due to improper installation.
Hope this helps.

High seat pressure, which leads back to the springs. Tough to lift the valve off seat. Leads to shocking the lifter, which in my mind can disrupt the rotation.

My next engine has stock springs on rebuilt heads. I have performance springs that came with my cam kit. My plan is to swap springs after break in, if at all. If it makes me smile, why screw with it.

Thanks for everyone’s replies. How nobody in the shop, including myself, knew this is disappointing to say the least. And the machine shop too (?). Hopefully my mistake will help somebody else out.

It was all the lifters. I’ll try to get pics Monday.
Although the point about using light springs for break-in is valid, having ALL the lifters fail, some to the point of being mushroomed, suggests to me that they weren't properly hardened in the first place. Or the cam lobes weren't properly finish polished and were too rough.

these days, I don't understand why any shop would take the on risk of breaking in a flat tappet cam ......... not much to gain, and a whole lot to lose

There has also been quite a bit of talk about new lifters and cams not having the correct crowns machined into them as causing quick failure rates. Just another thing to think about.

Auto Transport Service
Back