• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can someone guide me for a proper cam?

It seems with these heads and a whiplash cam I should be good?! (And torque converter)
Can I use the springs on this head for the whiplash cam? Or would I have to buy springs? Do I need push rods as well?
I can see how this adds up quick though and might as well rebuild a stoker, or find a 440.
Especially if the price is per head.
Not sure of the availability of 440 source stealths, but they are 80cc and more affordable.
Hughes recommends a little stronger spring then what the E streets (5792) come with for the whiplash.
Edelbrock 5792 Edelbrock Sure Seat Valve Springs | Summit Racing
Hughes has a cam guarantee if you get all the parts from them FWIW. I would recomend new pushrods. Whiplash isn't going to have much vacuum for power brakes if that is what your car has.

Screenshot_20220620-205453_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
440 Source seems to be "temporarily closed".
Idk??
My car does have power brakes.

I see the 440source site is down. I usually call them and talk to a human anyway.Lol
Hughes does have other cam choices besides the whiplash.

My suggestion if you are serious about getting a stall run a Lunati voodoo 703 226/[email protected] or comp 268xe 224/[email protected] . Keep the edelbrock springs and no power brake issues. If you really want a whiplash it will likely have some extra costs if you need new springs and a vac pump for the brakes.
If you continue w a Stock stall I would suggest voodoo 702 220/[email protected] or 262xe 218/[email protected]. My preference is the voodoo, but lots of people have different opinions. Hylift Johnson lifters are best. Hughes carries them.
Link for Voodoo 703 at Jegs...
Lunati 10230703 Voodoo Hydraulic Flat Tappet Camshaft Mopar Big Block 361-440 | eBay

Last edited:
The price of a stroker will escalate very quickly. The Source kits appear to remain reasonable, but the misc adds up really fast and you still need heads to match. And a good convertor is a must IMHO.

This is for a 72 Satellite Sebring Plus with a stock 400.

Can I get more info on a torque converter?

"9 1/2" ptc or dynamic. One that flashes 4000+ but cruises like stock."

What would that be?

Is the 400 internally balanced?

400 is externally balanced. I would buy a flex plate have the convertor neutral balanced. They could put weights on for you but you are going to need a flexplate anyway.
Ptc is likely the best priced. You will have to call them up and give them your car information and it will be custom. Same with dynamic. The 9 1/2" diameter seems to just work. We have a dynamic...It is set up tight so it moves the car and doesn't slip at 2200. But when you floor it flash stalls at 4200. But we have a 510 in front of it with 4.10s and 295/65/15 Mickey drag radials. Since it's custom they will set it up for your combination. It's also a good idea to know your future engine plans. Most of the off the shelf units are built loose the flash and rpm to get the car to move are close together. A example would be a convertor from Hughes Performance( different then hughes engines) a 3000 stall typically will slip a bunch with 3.55 at cruising speed. The only way to overcome that is lower gears or lower stall like a 2500. Nothing wrong with a 2500 stall for your application it's 1/2 the money...but the custom convertors are awesome. No contest which is better.

Screenshot_20220621-080638_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks!!!! You guys are the best!

And I would need new Rocker arms I assume. Stock wont work with any aftermarket cam? What kind of Rocker Arm set up can I get away with that wont break the bank?

Thanks!!!! You guys are the best!

And I would need new Rocker arms I assume. Stock wont work with any aftermarket cam? What kind of Rocker Arm set up can I get away with that wont break the bank?
I wouldn't be afraid of running the stock rockers with no more cam your running. Pushrod can wear through the Stamped steel over time...but who knows when it will happen? Could be immediately or could never give a issue. Pushrods are inexpensive I would buy a upgrade but we have used stock ones with bigger cams.
FWIW... I don't trust the cheaper roller rockers. The mancini rockers are my choice for value. I don't know anything about the stainless rockers they offer now.
Mancini Racing

Last edited:
Well, I'm still looking into the Whiplash Cam, I have sent them an e-mail. Or I'd go with what is recommended above Lunati voodoo 703 226/[email protected]. Not sure If I can still use stock rockers on either cam?

Using the stock rockers should work w those cams, I wouldn't have high expectations for them to last. No doubt a rocker upgrade is superior.
You can buy a 15/16 bore master cylinder and convert it to manual brakes w the whiplash, or a electric vacuum pump. Power booster may work yet..but it's a long shot.

Would I get 1.5 or 1.6 rockers? (getting closer guys!)

Going to Eddyheads doesn’t really enlarge the port much, still good velocity. I really perked up my low compression 383 with a Hughes cam, not even the whiplash, which will give you even more cylinder pressure. Like others mentioned, a tight high stall converter and the small chamber heads! You should get 400 hp I would think.

HI, I'm back...
I talked to the guy from 440 Source. I guess the Stealth Heads are 80CC... So in the middle of the two Edelbrock heads. For $599.00 Each it's tempting.
Anyone like these heads?
"Single with Damper. Recommended for maximum .510" lift"

Also looking at COMP Cams Camshaft 21-224-4; Xtreme Energy .488/.491

and the Lunati 10230703 Lift: .494''/.513''

And I still have a thing for that Whiplash Cam. .518/.552

I want to use the springs that come on the Stealth Heads.

Anyone have an opinion on any of these??
Thanks!

There are trade offs on the heads.
Stealths look stock which I prefer.
5 cc is not much difference as far as feel behind the steering wheel. But...I would rather have the 75cc over 80cc. So depends what your after and the $ to spend. Are they comparable in quality..? Probably...Plenty of opinions.

After .510 lift 440source strongly encourages changing the retainers from 7 degree to 10. The whiplash is a definate no w a 7 degree retainer. The comp cam mentioned is fine. As far as the lunati the stealth springs are ok...the exhaust lift is obviously just barely past what 440 source recommends but I would have no problem running the retainer in this application. The comp is likely the easiest to get. Lunati may have to wait.
My preference is a better retainer and a dual spring...and we have not dropped a otb head on one of our engines, with out a thorough inspection. But lots of guys do and it's not my $.

Last edited:
Did somebody say Turbo? No need for aftermarket parts. Don't need expensive heads. The cam and compression are just right. The carb would work too if you build a box to enclose it. Aftermarket blow through carbs are available. Not a lengthy project.

Your carburetor is too big for a mild street car....

Auto Transport Service
Back