• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can you help me get the right Radiator/Shroud combo?`

1971RR

Local time
2:45 PM
Reaction score
The Car: 1971 B-body. Started life as RP23G. Currently has 383/727.

Not sure about the radiator core support, but it appears to accept a 26' radiator with no problems. Dont know what the difference is between the 22" and the 26" besides the obvious 4".

I have the car since 1985. It had the big 26" and the big block in it when I got it. Over the years the radiator has been replaced at least twice (one was the water pump failure, launching the fan through the radiator). I have never really gotten a radiator that has fit since then without having to modify at least one mounting hole. I drug the car out of storage after about 19 years last year. Parts store gave me what is probably a C-body radiator. It fit 3 of four holes. It has worked in a pinch.

I'm getting a little agitated with "close", especially since it has really made getting a shroud even more difficult. I would like to stay with the stock style radiator shroud. No electric fans or $500 aluminum radiators are really necessary for this car. And I guess while I'm at it, a correct fitting, complete fan clutch assembly. Currently has a flex fan. For those of you with pretty much stock 71 through I'm guessing 74 b-bodies, do you have some good part numbers for these three items that I can use/research with?

Instead of trying to buy a shroud that might fit my current radiator, I want to replace my stinking' brand new radiator with a correct one and work from there. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Nothing? Nobody has a RR with a good setup to recommend?

Check with Mancini Racing for possible shrouds. I've got a 22" rad in the Sport Fury,and I adapted a big-block shroud to the original 318 rad. Brought my temps down by 15 degrees. I may be wrong.but aren't Chrysler and Dodge/Plymouth rads the same? Good luck!

Hi there, you could start with this http://www.rosevillemoparts.com/reference_radiatorguide.php
and look up your year, body style, rad size, engine etc to get a part number, or numbers (if there is more than one option). Then look around for a good used rad, or at least one that can be re-cored.

I used this to identify the rad in our 69 Sport Satellite, which turned out to be from a C-body, which was why we couldnt get a viscous fan to fit :rolleyes:

Mancini & Year One both sell their shrouds to suit certain part number radiators, so once you have a part number or two, you should be able to get a shroud to fit it. Assuming you can find the rad in the first place! :icon_mrgreen:

I found Year One quite helpful with advice, surprisingly... (by email, not phone... much cheaper for me that way!)

Thanks for the info. I purchased a Hayden fan clutch and fan. Havent installed yet. From what I have been able to find, looks like the "easier" route will be to locate a shroud for the C-body radiator that I have and hope it fits in the space available. I can find every radiator under the sun, but not the one I need. And if I do, its outragous! Even with brass/copper construction.

That shroud would fit if I had the correct radiator. The radiator I ended up with is a '70 C-Body 26". The thing has 6 shroud studs instead of four and the studs are about 8.5" apart otherwise I would use the 4 stud shroud that I do have. SO I have a radiator I cannot find a shroud for and a shroud I cannot find (reasonably) a radiator for.

I have a 1969 RR parts car with a 26" radiator that I'm trying to transport from Sanford, MI. to Spanaway, WA. Maybe we can make a deal in helping me (even just a little) in getting this parts car to my place without spending a bunch on transport. And I'll give you the radiator free of charge. I'm currently still deployed and won't be back until maybe around the end of this month. My guess is that it might fit right in without changing out the shroud. Take a look at my photo gallery titled 69 RR parts car and look at the radiator. It's there next to the interior door panels and door glass. Leave a comment or reply back to this thread if your interested.

It does sound like a win-win. But I live in Houston, TX and thats way off course between Michigan and Washington. Bummer. I did look at the photo galler. You have a lot of really nice parts in that RR. I dont think you will have aaannny problems getting assistance moving that car. The radiator looked like a 5-stud too. Somebody will definetely be clamoring for that soon.

It does sound like a win-win. But I live in Houston, TX and thats way off course between Michigan and Washington. Bummer. I did look at the photo galler. You have a lot of really nice parts in that RR. I dont think you will have aaannny problems getting assistance moving that car. The radiator looked like a 5-stud too. Somebody will definetely be clamoring for that soon.

I'll be home soon by next week and most possibly I'm going to transport that car around July. I was hoping it was a match for yours but I guess its not. Anyways good luck or maybe your interested in buying it? Let me know if you are.

Auto Transport Service
Back