• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can't stop rockin - window channel blues

themechanic

Oklahoma is OK
Local time
2:37 AM
Reaction score
How do you stop these side window regulator channels from pivoting on the plastic pin that holds the channel to the window? I bought the kit and installed it but it only comes with roller, pin and a cardboard gasket. Mine are both missing the hard rubber bumpers on the top. I'm thinking of using adhesive. What's your thoughts?

Thanks FBBO

regulator channel.jpg

I just did this on my 68. There is a kit with a fiber gasket that folds in the channel to hold the glass. It comes with the gasket,plastic retainer and the rollers for the regulator. Let me see if I can find the vendor I got it from. I also did the vent run channel, got that from Eherenberg. You could probably make one from some gasket material but that might be to thick.

Just reread your post ( only 1 cup O Joe ) I dont know about the rubber bumpers?? Just used the cardboard gasket on mine, but pinched the channel in with some vice grips to get a bit more grip.

Yes, I bought the kit but I think the paper is to keep the metal off the glass.

I had my windshield replaced yesterday by a very experienced glass man. He looked at the rocking channel problem and gave me some hard rubber spacers he buys for mounting rear windows. I have to cut them down to fit but hopefully it solves the problem. If that doesn't work I'll use adhesive strip on the flange side to stick it in place.

Sounds like a plan,whatever works. You do realise the the fiber gasket folds into the channel, you can see some perforated lines where it folds.Mine fit real snug and had to trim it to get the retainer in. Adhesive cant hurt. Good luck. P.S. are you putting in the new Mylar strips for the vent window slides on the front of the glass also?

Sounds like a plan,whatever works. You do realise the the fiber gasket folds into the channel, you can see some perforated lines where it folds.Mine fit real snug and had to trim it to get the retainer in. Adhesive cant hurt. Good luck. P.S. are you putting in the new Mylar strips for the vent window slides on the front of the glass also?

Yes, new mylar from Chrysler. I tried the crappy plastic ones and they fit but are easily torn. I used the paper gaskets but they still rocked.

The cardboard gasket & complete window rivet has always solved the problem for me.

A picture is worth a thousand words. Yeah that dont seem right. Are these the parts that came with the car ie the glass and channel? Have you done the other side and get the same result? Have you installed the whole assembly? I would not be to concerned but still I dont like it. With the stationary front run and adjustable rear dose it still rock when installed? I am at a loss as to the fix.. Lower part of glass worn?

How about installing the regulator and see how it rolls up and down. Those plastic rivets a pretty tough. I dont think you will have an issue. Still No Like.

A picture is worth a thousand words. Yeah that dont seem right. Are these the parts that came with the car ie the glass and channel? Have you done the other side and get the same result? Have you installed the whole assembly? I would not be to concerned but still I don't like it. With the stationary front run and adjustable rear dose it still rock when installed? I am at a loss as to the fix.. Lower part of glass worn?

The one in the video is a replacement for a rusty one but the other came with the car. Both sides restored and they are both rocking horses. They twist and rock when the regulator toques them. Glass looks fine. Plastic keeper is tight. I put some hard rubber spacer material in the two ares along the top of the channel that hold the bottom of the window.

Last night I put some black 3M weatherstrip adhesive on there and now waiting for it to dry.

Yes I could see it rocking when the regulator lifts it. I the 3M wont hold maybe think of putting some rubber in to take up some slack. I am thinking like some from an inner tube??? This is one weird problem.

Yes I could see it rocking when the regulator lifts it. I the 3M wont hold maybe think of putting some rubber in to take up some slack. I am thinking like some from an inner tube??? This is one weird problem.

Tried the rubber. See previous post #13.

Auto Transport Service
Back