• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Carb/Intake Combo recommendation

roadrunner57

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:20 AM
Reaction score
Lightly modified 440 have my eyes on an Edelbrock TM7 intake and 1411 carburetor.

What are folks' opinion on this combo?

the performer RPM is a way better intake for street/spirited driving. Look on Hughs engines site for the intake dyno tests and articles. Just my opinion.

Edelbrock Performer RPM and 750 cfm 1407 carb, you won't be disappointed! 440'

I really like TM-7's, but may not be best for a mild street driven application. My experience was with fairly big cams & mostly drag race applications. If you have deep gears & spin the motor up, may be great.
Not sure what 1411 carb is.
Edit: OOPS now I see. Should be a good choice.

Well you're bound to get people asking for more details about the combo and how you plan to use it, but regardless of any of that, it's going to want more carb. If you're thinking of using that Tarantula intake, I'm guessing this isn't a putt-putt grandma around town kinda build...I'd go no less than an 850. If you haven't bought anything yet, the RPM is a much better street intake as the guys are saying, unless the rest of the combo is built for high-rpm screamin'..

The tm7 was basically the first race single plane for a 440. It's got taller, larger runners than the original torker, and wasn't till edelbrock stopped production that street/strip guys missed it.
The torker is pretty decent as a street manifold, it has better low end that some suspect, but the TM-7 works best with a 4000 stall, good heads, and at least a 3.91 gear. That's what I use mine on.
I absolutely agree with cryplydog, and beanhead, you will like an rpm better than the tm7. The 1411 should work fine, will probably need some tuning for best performance.

If you are buying new, and want an Edelbrock carb, i would look at the 800cfm avs-2. I love the annular discharge, saw a test once that showed an insane boost in low end power, from the annular discharge mod.
And the annular 800 will probably flow about the same as the regular 750, due to the annular boosters.

Last edited:
I have the Edelbrock performer and 1407. Runs pretty strong, tho' i am not much of a judge.

I am probably not going to install anything new in the near future, planning ahead though. If I find something that is reasonably priced, I will probably pounce on it. Hence the question.

As of now, I am planning on using my AVS 4640SA until the engine is running and broken in.

I had the Edelbrock performer (I think) on my 69 Camaro and a 1405 Carburetor. The carb fluttered a bit at about 65MPH, so I installed larger jets and it was fine. I sold the Camaro because I really like this RR better.

Okay, will shut now but always seek advice. So keep the ideas coming.

Edelbrock CH4B intake and the 1407 'carb, just my opinion...

I agree, OP keep an eye out for a CH4B. My 383 version(DP4B) was great. The CH4B should be real good with stock or near stock style heads & milder cam. 750 carb size should be right on.

CH4B is great. Great RPM range. A bit higher than you’d think. Also low enough to fit under most hoods and work with most factory throttle / kickdown linkages. If going Carter/Edelbrock I’d stay with the AVS, much better control over the secondaries opening. Nothing wrong with a 4640.

Auto Transport Service
Back