• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Changing center chunk

RallyeGreen

Local time
2:12 PM
Reaction score
Ok, I have a 65 coronet with a 340 and an overdrive 4 speed. I'm replacing my axle seals, and figured while I had the axles out I would change the center chunk. Never knowing what gears I had, I found out they are 2:56 gears.
I love the gas mileage and performance is impressive considering, but I'm thinking about going to another gear ratio. I have two spare units, one with 2:79, and 3:23.
Right now I go 65 mph at 2000 rpm. Great cruiser but sluggish at take off. Would I notice a difference at 2:79 gears, or should I just go ahead and put in the 3:23's? Thanks for any input. Keep on mind this is my daily :)

Would you be interested in selling the 2:56 or 2:79 gears? I am looking for a highway set.

3.23s. You won't tell much difference, if any at all, going to 2.76s. Add Sure Grip at the same time if you have the money.

Ok, so it's looking like 3:23's lol

- - - Updated - - -

Would you be interested in selling the 2:56 or 2:79 gears? I am looking for a highway set.

Not at the moment, sorry. I like to keep them around so I can always flip flop around. I'll keep my eyes open for another set

I'm running 3:55s which are great if you drive 55mph roads but suck on the freeway, I'd run the 3:23s for sure.

3:23's are in. Now gotta wait for the expected 8 inches of snow to be gone to try out :(

Auto Transport Service
Back