• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Had it with Richmond gears in my 67

My understanding is that some gear makers [ not sure about Richmond ] make a soft set of gears.....& a hard set of gears.

The soft set is noisy & is for drag racers. The teeth have some 'give' in them so that they flex enough under load & not snap off.

The hard gears are for street & long life.

My understanding is that some gear makers [ not sure about Richmond ] make a soft set of gears.....& a hard set of gears.

The soft set is noisy & is for drag racers. The teeth have some 'give' in them so that they flex enough under load & not snap off.

The hard gears are for street & long life.
That's true, but the rearends that soft "race gears" are available for is fairly limited. Dana, 9",12 bolt gm, and maybe a few others.
Soft gears for an 8 3/4 haven't been available for years.

Checking with Dr Differential to see what they can recommend. It seems I’ve run across them in a number of threads.

I bought a nodular iron 489 case and 3:55 gears set up by Dr Diff. using the spacer, not the crush sleeve. It's perfect.

I’m getting confused as hell emailing back and forth to Dr Diff. He is out of 3.55 gear sets for a 489 in their proprietary gears (he hasn’t told me what they are yet or who makes them). He does have a 3.73 set. He says my other option is a US Gear # CL C887355L in 3.55 which he says is US made By US Gear. But when I Google US Gear # CL C887355L, it comes up as a Motive gear set. And further googling says Richmond and Motive gear sets originate in Italy and I definitely don’t want another, 3rd set of Italian screaming gears.

Here is the US Gear # CL C887355L set from Summit - but described as Motive and no US Gear. Typical of other retailers too.
Motive Gear C887355L Motive Gear Ring and Pinion Sets | Summit Racing

Internet is full of info that describes Richmond and Motive gear sets as both made in Italy.

So now I wonder if Motive Carries 2 lines of gear sets - one made in Italy and one made in the US by US Gear????

Going around in circles.

I’m getting confused as hell emailing back and forth to Dr Diff. He is out of 3.55 gear sets for a 489 in their proprietary gears (he hasn’t told me what they are yet or who makes them). He does have a 3.73 set. He says my other option is a US Gear # CL C887355L in 3.55 which he says is US made By US Gear. But when I Google US Gear # CL C887355L, it comes up as a Motive gear set. And further googling says Richmond and Motive gear sets originate in Italy and I definitely don’t want another, 3rd set of Italian screaming gears.

Here is the US Gear # CL C887355L set from Summit - but described as Motive and no US Gear. Typical of other retailers too.

Internet is full of info that describes Richmond and Motive gear sets as both made in Italy.

So now I wonder if Motive Carries 2 lines of gear sets - one made in Italy and one made in the US by US Gear????

Going around in circles.

Nitro Gear & Axle C8.89-373-NG Nitro Gear and Axle Ring and Pinion Gear Sets | Summit Racing

(December delivery)

Don't know anything about Motive, but as I mentioned earlier I've set up allot of made in USA US Gear sets... & I've had good luck with them... Just yesterday I drove a car I put together years ago, it has 4:30 US Gears... About 6K miles since I put it together & still quiet as a mouse..

Going around in circles.
I have a Yukon set of 3.55's in a 742 case. Had to set the backlash a bit toward the loose side of spec. to get everything happy& quiet. No problems after that. 1350 yoke, inboard spring perches, long studs in stock axles. Would sell you the entire rear end if you like. I went to a Strange dana 60.

Going around in circles.
to clear up a few discussions ,, Richmond Gear exists in name only they were bought out by Motive Gear about 10 years ago so unless it is old stock lying around when you order a Richmond gear set you will get a Motive gear --- now Motive Gear sets are made in Italy (orange box - excellent gear set ) except for the part numbers listed with an A at the end which means they are made offshore in Asia somewhere and the price is lower ,, US Gear is made in the US -- BUT since covid hit they have not really produced any domestic ( Ford , GM ,Chrysler ) gear sets and that is why they are hard to find/not available right now and is probably why you were steered to a Motive gear - US gear also dropped their gear sets for the 742 and 741 cases about 5 years ago -- Yukon Gear is a made in China gear set and probably reboxed as Nitro , Hoosier and any of the other off names - i have had no issues with Motive gears ( only use the orange boxed performance gear set ) and have done many Ford , GM , Chrysler differentials in the last 45 years.

Dr Diff cleared up some of the confusion - the part number they referred me to was wrong. The part number is actually 03-887355L which does come up as a US Gear. Apparently they are out of them and their own 3.55 gears and referred me to Mancini and Tom’s Differentials to see if they had any. But sounds like I’ll probably have trouble finding a set and will be on hold awhile. The other choice is to take the chunk to another shop and see if they see any hope in fine-adjustments to the pattern. But I’m pretty convinced Richmond’s just howl no matter what you do.

If you are using the same housing with all these noisy gear sets - perhaps the housing is the problem and it might pay to use another one.

I think I would use whatever Cass recommends. If he says that US Gear is ok, I would probably go that route. Several years ago I bought a ring and pinion from him and it was noisy. I think it was from Italy. Only drove it 5 miles, but he said once it has been run, only that little bit, it is highly unlikely any adjustment will fix it. Ended up buying a different brand from him, I am not positive, but believe it was US Gear. That one was fine.

That’s basically where I’m at. Cass suggested trying to find a set by US Gear. He never did elaborate on what he refers to as his own gear sets, but he said they were out of them for the 489 housing and he was unsure when he might get more.

If you are using the same housing with all these noisy gear sets - perhaps the housing is the problem and it might pay to use another one.

The original 3:23 open set was quiet in it so I think it’s fine. I did put in an Auburn sure grip in it.

OK. If there is run-out on the ring gear face of the carrier you can have problems with noise.

I’ll check it before I carry it in the next time. :thumbsup:

Found a set of 3:55 US Gears and 19 spline yoke at Mancini Racing - their last set. Kind of tempting to buy the shim kit to replace the collapsing spacer and try setting them up myself. My main worry is having a heavy enough bench to mount it on that will stand torquing the pinion nut. But I have a 5’ spanner bar I built to hold the new pinion on my other cars Dana while I torqued it down. Might find a way to brace that on my bench and steady it for torquing.

Those who have tackled setting up their own rear ends - what do you think? But it’s I’ve successfully rebuilt my Torqueflite and two 4 speeds with out a problem. Not exactly the same but I’m not afraid of gears. The case already has all new bearings and Auburn sure grip so it’s just a gear change.

Or take it to a drive line shop?

I f**k them up myself rather than pay some other clown to do it.

Got Motive gears for my Dana60 and they howl like crazy, My buddy Nick's garage installed them and checked double checked triple removed redid them and still same crap. Talked to strange because I have their sure grip and they said go with OEM spicer gears never have issues with them

Motive are Richmond gears, made in Italy. I think they are designed to howl.

US Gear makes their gears here in the US and seem to have a good reputation. I guess I’ll find out.

Auto Transport Service
Back