• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Chevy t56 behind a 440 ????

Bb70charger500

Local time
12:15 AM
Reaction score
Hey guys so I'm building my 69 charger I have my rebuilt 4 speed sitting here but I also have a t56 that was for a different project it's a lt1 style t56 .
I heard it can be bolted up behind a Mopar anyone ever do this or know what all is involved ?
Or am I waisting my time and just run the 4 speed ???
KIMG0717.JPG
KIMG0262.JPG

What 4 spd trans do you have ? I'm sure someone may need it, if you go with the other...

23 spline 833 .
I bought a full 4 speed conversion kit for my 72 charger I was building
If I go 4 speed I need to switch the bell housing and flywheel for big block I'll also need to switch my pedals out for a 69 setup .

That shifter looks like it would be back way too far in a charger.

Hey guys so I'm building my 69 charger I have my rebuilt 4 speed sitting here but I also have a t56 that was for a different project it's a lt1 style t56 .
I heard it can be bolted up behind a Mopar anyone ever do this or know what all is involved ?
Or am I waisting my time and just run the 4 speed ??? View attachment 1207055View attachment 1207056
I think it depends on what year the transmission is. I'll have to dig up the info that I've been collecting....

What kind of torque ratings are you looking at for the engine and trans? Is there a clutch kit available for it? Just watch your ratings is my thing and that shifter will be an issue. I would go 4 speed , but that’s me. Kern Dog is pretty up to speed on the 5 speed stuff too. You may ask questions.

Another thing to consider is an LT1 originally used a fork with external hydraulics and a pull style clutch.

Not sure what it would take to convert to a hydraulic throwout. (Maybe the front plate from an LS1 t56?)

Auto Transport Service
Back