• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Chicken prices @ 1.79 lb here.....

Baby day old chicks are $4.75 at the feed store. Course that gotta eat too!
Been a long time since I priced baby chicks.....and don't even remember what they cost. Is 4.75 high?

Been a long time since I priced baby chicks.....and don't even remember what they cost. Is 4.75 high?
Been that price for several years. Feed is high.
Back in Mo. I could easily buy pullets about ready to lay for $6. $5 for a day old biddy that is a meat broiler bird does not cut it. You must raise your own chicks.

Been that price for several years. Feed is high.
Back in Mo. I could easily buy pullets about ready to lay for $6. $5 for a day old biddy that is a meat broiler bird does not cut it. You must raise your own chicks.
I live in a neighborhood that does have deed restrictions but it's a Civic Club and not an HOA so anyone trying to make another adhere to the restrictions has to file a complaint with the city which about 10 years ago cost a $115 filing fee. Thing is, the club hasn't had a meeting in about 10 years now so getting other neighbors to go in with ya to file isn't happening so I might could get away with having a few chickens these days. So are you saying that a meat broiler bird won't lay eggs? I've been around chickens but don't really know all the ins and outs. A neighbor where I used to live had chickens and a rooster but that was a long time ago. Dad was raised up on a farm but he's been gone for a pretty good while now...

I live in a neighborhood that does have deed restrictions but it's a Civic Club and not an HOA so anyone trying to make another adhere to the restrictions has to file a complaint with the city which about 10 years ago cost a $115 filing fee. Thing is, the club hasn't had a meeting in about 10 years now so getting other neighbors to go in with ya to file isn't happening so I might could get away with having a few chickens these days. So are you saying that a meat broiler bird won't lay eggs? I've been around chickens but don't really know all the ins and outs. A neighbor where I used to live had chickens and a rooster but that was a long time ago. Dad was raised up on a farm but he's been gone for a pretty good while now...
Broilers are bred to get heavy quick, if you want eggs get a bred developed for such. They are some old time breeds that are considered dual purpose birds. You could raise broiler hens for egg production and let them nest or get a cheap incubator.

Just bought fresh AAA Angus striploin from Walmart, on sale this week, $6.20/pound US dollars or $7.99 Can dollars. 10lb bag of potatoes $1.45 US. Dozen eggs $1.54. The deals are out there.

10lb bag of potatoes $1.45 US. The deals are out there.

That's a freakin steal on spuds, I used to pay about 1.50 for a 5 lb. bag.!!! They're like $5 for 10 lbs. here in the states!!!

That's a freakin steal on spuds, I used to pay about 1.50 for a 5 lb. bag.!!! They're like $5 for 10 lbs. here in the states!!!
Sweet potatoes are still fairly priced and I like them....

I bought 10 of these years ago. Quick, easy
meals. Used mainly for use in the duck blind.
Still have 7 left. If things keep going the way
they are, we'll be busting into a few more.
auguson.jpg

Picked up a 3lb beef roast for $ 12.??
93 % hamburger next to it was $4.?? Lb.
That choice didn't take long :D

Picked up a 3lb beef roast for $ 12.??
93 % hamburger next to it was $4.?? Lb.
That choice didn't take long :D
Picked up a 10 lb bag of leg quarters the other day for 4.50 or 5.90 can't remember..... but either price is cheap. Stuck 4 into my crock pot and sealed up the rest for the freezer.

Edit: Dang voice texting.....hate using my phone to make replies.

Last edited:
518 million chickens in the USA. Keeping in mind this does not represent all the chickens in the US, simply the ones being kept track of. With unreported chickens the total is over 9 billion in the USA. The average American consumes over 97 pounds of chicken a year and they sell for how much.

Raise and butcher. The reason we go to the
store and buy chicken. Cheap.
When it becomes no longer cheap raise
your own.and start chopping. The added
benefit are the eggs.
Raised my kids on shiscabab waterfowl.
I can clean a duck in 30 seconds flat.
We've grown soft.

And what happens when a chicken in the house gets sick?
06F5BE8A-9DBD-4417-A6AA-DF52EB49B89A.png

Chicken leg quarters were .49/lb recently. Yet wings were 3.99. I have seen them as high as 5.99. Whole fryers were .95/lb. Seen them much higher at the snooty stores.
I have been told the reason wings are so high is because there are only two per bird. But when I responded with there are only two legs and thighs and the price is under a buck (not deer-thats deer nuts) I got the deer in the headlights look and couldn't get a logical response.

I bought a 3 lb bag of frozen wings at BJ's Wholesale club a week or two ago for under 10 bucks. The wife and I had them for dinner last night.

Auto Transport Service
Back