• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Choke question, stock 383 2bbl

jcskokos

Local time
8:34 PM
Reaction score
I was going after a high idle in neutral/ park issue this weekend and noticed that when throttle is applied that my choke linkage will suck down into the intake and with a quick enough snap of the throttle will actually set my screw on one of the choke butterfly cam points. Does the choke have seals that may need attention? I've never pulled it out of the intake before and I'm now wondering if that's part of my highway- passing pinging problem I've been having, and be the cause of the higher idle due to the vacuum leak.
II'm mostly curious as I thought it was just a spring coil thermostat that wouldn't be affected by engine vacuum

I was going after a high idle in neutral/ park issue this weekend and noticed that when throttle is applied that my choke linkage will suck down into the intake and with a quick enough snap of the throttle will actually set my screw on one of the choke butterfly cam points. Does the choke have seals that may need attention? I've never pulled it out of the intake before and I'm now wondering if that's part of my highway- passing pinging problem I've been having, and be the cause of the higher idle due to the vacuum leak.
II'm mostly curious as I thought it was just a spring coil thermostat that wouldn't be affected by engine vacuum

It’s a thermostatic spring that sits in a well. The well should be solid. You can adjust the spring to be full open when the engine is up to temp.

IMO...
It depends on which carbs you have....most of the time, the carb is a Carter BBD (Ball and Ball Downdraft), but depending on the year, Chrysler used Stromberg or in later years used a Holley. In just about all instances, Chrysler used a DIVORCED CHOKE design with a vacuum choke pull off. A divorced choke assembly meant that the choke coil assembly was mounted seperately, typically in a well on the manifold, and connected to the carb with a linkage rod. Later, late '70s, the choke coil had an electrical assist heater to allow for faster response and lower emissions. GM and Ford typically used an INTEGRAL choke coil as part of the carb and had a heat source to operate the choke. If you can be specific as to your vehicle, model and year, we could be more accurate with information.
BOB RENTON

Yes what eng and what year and model ? With the well type choke many times with some miles on the car the intake exh crossover gets clogged up completely with carbon. Then the exh heat wont get to the choke coil and the choke never comes all the way off and keeps going on to one of the fast idle cam steps and running the idle up when you hit the gas. It sure sounds like that intake exh crossover is clogged to me. How many miles on it also ? Ron

Auto Transport Service
Back