• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Chop Shop Bust.... No arrests yet...

1 Wild R/T

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:01 PM
Reaction score
At least one guy got his car back..... Need to chop body parts off the damn perps...

Places like this really p*ss
me off. Plus the attitude of
police not pursuing recovery.
I've had two vehicles stolen.
One was stripped, dumped,
and burned. The other is
probably in someone's
collection disguised as a
legit vehicle.
These guys make it really
difficult to pursue our
hobby.
My most recent build was
a great exercise for patience
and persistence, as many
hurdles were jumped just
to get it titled and registered.
Insurance is high also (they
knowing that these classics
are targeted by thieves).
I also believe the problem
is going to get much worse
as more and more drivers
try to keep their old relics
running, if for nothing else,
than to refuse to give in to
the EV push.

Auto theft should be a death sentence. Kind of like horse thieves back in the day. We need to go back to those times and clean up the gene pool.

Best Theft deterrent ever!

20230515_120319.jpg

Glad the one victim got his Chevy convertible back.
Problem with storage facilities is that many people see what is there when they store their cars, or help a friend or relative drop off or pick up their car. Or tell a coworker or guy at a bar or whatever about the storage facility. Word gets around.
Any parts of Steve Julianos mod top hemi cuda sitting around the chop shop by any chance?

Problem with storage facilities is that many people see what is there when they store their cars, or help a friend or relative drop off or pick up their car. Or tell a coworker or guy at a bar or whatever about the storage facility. Word gets around.
Any parts of Steve Julianos mod top hemi cuda sitting around the chop shop by any chance?

That car is probably in a private collection in Dubai.

That’s my assumption too, or now in a Russian oligarch‘s private stash.
If it had got parted it would have been difficult for anyone to sell much off it without raising suspicions. Like lunch pail NOS parts, engine and trans with VINs, mint F8 cuda sheet metal…

Grievous to watch, but a definite reality check. It would break my heart coming out to one of my classic cars having been stolen, let alone being butchered by folks looking to just make a quick buck.

Didn't matter with the two
that were stolen from me.
Both were stick.

What I would question that
if the two cars in the OP's
storage unit were stored
away and out of sight, how
the chop shop discovered
they were there.
How long ago was that? Most modern day thieves can't drive a stick. A guy about 3 months ago got car jacked in New York City and the thieves couldn't drive his manual transmission equipped Porsche. They jumped back out of the car and ran away. I guess that thieves who steal classic cars would be more likely to know how to drive a stick, but the Impala was an automatic car, they didn't say what the GTO was.

I remember about 15 or so years ago when the two brothers were stealing the high end Mopars from the hotels around Carlisle. We were chaining our cars to the columns outside the hotel room doors.

I remember about 15 or so years ago when the two brothers were stealing the high end Mopars from the hotels around Carlisle. We were chaining our cars to the columns outside the hotel room doors.
A chain through my turbine wheels, horns would blast if hood was opened.

The values of classic cars have started to drop as the market entered a correction period last spring,but the prices of parts has been at the insanity level,and have not started to drop at all. I bet there are many cars that are worth more in parts than whole,and this trend will continue as the correction gets into full swing.

How long ago was that? Most modern day thieves can't drive a stick. A guy about 3 months ago got car jacked in New York City and the thieves couldn't drive his manual transmission equipped Porsche. They jumped back out of the car and ran away. I guess that thieves who steal classic cars would be more likely to know how to drive a stick, but the Impala was an automatic car, they didn't say what the GTO was.
The first one (1966 Ford Mustang GT 350) stolen in 1980.
The second (1985 Ford Mustang 5.0 GT) stolen in 1989.
The 1985 was the one that was stripped, dumped, and
burned.
Both were stolen while living in Albuquerque.
I would assume that if these thieves are stealing cars
for a chop shop, they would know how to drive a standard.

The first one (1966 Ford Mustang GT 350) stolen in 1980.
The second (1985 Ford Mustang 5.0 GT) stolen in 1989.
The 1985 was the one that was stripped, dumped, and
burned.
Both were stolen while living in Albuquerque.
I would assume that if these thieves are stealing cars
for a chop shop, they would know how to drive a standard.
It was a different world back then,even most women knew how to drive a stick back then. There have been three generations since that most have no idea how to operate a vehicle with a manual transmission.

A few weeks back I spent a few hours teaching a 38 YO man how to drive a manual trans.... He's got the basics, needs a little time driving to get better... Most everyone I grew up with was driving stick at 16-18.....

I remember seeing a post on craigslist a year or two ago about a stolen 66 or 67 charger. It was in the middle of Bum Fuhk Egypt too. The post said something about being around Ione, Oregon
(population 300) and stolen out of a barn i think. Obviously some local asshole knew about it and ran their mouth or helped steal it. Don't know if it was ever recovered.

Auto Transport Service
Back