Classic Industries promotions are a freaking joke

1968 -1970 Mopars

1. pearljam724

pearljam724 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    12:04 AM
    For shits and giggles, I just now typed in the rectangular speedometer plastic chrome trim piece on a 69 B body. The price is a little under $250. They want $40, including insurance to ship an item that weighs a few ounces. That’s after a $8 promotional discount. I don’t understand where you guys are getting free shipping ?

2. 209gtx

209gtx Member

Local Time:
    9:04 PM
    sometimes Classic doesnt have discounts on all parts, I wait for free shipping specials unless Im really needy and of course there are others

3. barbee6043

barbee6043 FBBO Gold Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
    11:04 PM
    We have been brainwashed with buying from the net. I still call and look and shop for parts and supplies.. I agree CI, YearOne both suck. Rock Auto is terrible sending parts from 4 diff. locations!!!!!

• Like Like x 1
    • flypaper

flypaper FBBO Gold Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
      only a rookie would use Classic or Year one :poke:

• Like Like x 2
      • tmaleck

tmaleck FBBO Gold Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
        CI has a free shipping promotion 4 or 5 times a year. I knew my car was a year away from needing the parts. so I waited for the shipping promo and ordered in bulk.

• Kern Dog

Kern Dog FBBO Gold Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
        THis is not to defend these guys but......
        SHIPPING is not just the cost of transporting the part to your home. It is also for the labor to wrap the part in a box, the box itself and the labor to load the truck that will deliver the part.
        Do you work for free? I don't. It a good economy, wages usually go up to attract employees for the increased workload.
        I do agree that in many cases, these companies charge stupid rates for shipping. It is like a New Car Dealer selling you on their paint protection plan....
        I once bought some parts for a truck I had years ago. They didn't fit so I decided to send them back. When I went to the UPS box store, the cost to ship them back was about half of what the company charged me. I asked the clerk why....He told me that shipping is just another profit generating move that these businesses do.
        I've bought full length fuel lines that weigh less than 4 lbs but because of the HUGE box that it comes in, the shipping was almost as much as the part.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 2
        • kiwigtx

kiwigtx International Mod Staff Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
          6:04 PM
          Thanks Greg...I was thinking along much the same line today. Why is it that some people bitch about some shipping costs? I'll bet those same people charge a decent hourly rate for their time on a job. Nothing is free these days, and shipping a package is no exception.

Think yourself lucky you don't have to endure some of the shipping charges I have paid over the years to get my vehicles in good condition.

• Like Like x 1
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • barbee6043

Local Time:
            These companies also get a commercial shipping rate thru Fed X, UPS, etc.

• Agree Agree x 2
            • Like Like x 1
            • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
            • 69b3rt

69b3rt Well-Known Member

Local Time:
              So a company is to make a 100% mark up on a part just for answering your call? Walking over to grab the part and putting in a box add another 20%. Affixing shipping label to box for UPS to come pick up box from your store add another 20%. Then add the actual shipping charge.

You really have to be rich to pay for that kind of service. I can't afford this kind of service only to be attaching factory blem quality parts on the car. After being served by CI and YO you would have been better served by searching for another retailer, or NOS, or good used, I tend to have more time than money. So you just pick your battles.

• Like Like x 1
              • 69b3rt

69b3rt Well-Known Member

Local Time:
                Repairing everyday driver cars, I can purchase a new bumper cover for a car, shipped for $100. That is for the part, the packaging and the shipping.

• pearljam724

Local Time:
                Yep. If they are charging $250 dollars for a part that cost them a few dollars to obtain. Turn around and sell that part for $250 and add $40 for shipping, while receiving commercial rates. I’m pretty sure, that people were paid to package a box and answer a phone.
                They make a ton of money on shipping alone. It’s a gimmick, nothing more or less. Has absolutely nothing to do with paying for labor. They do it, because people have allowed them to get away with it. I’m sorry, It’s one thing to pay these ridiculous prices for these parts. That’s understood and part of the game. But, with me. You’re not going to rub salt in a wound by charging 4-5 times what an item actually cost to ship.
                Being that is the way it is with them, you will get the least of my business.
                No exaggeration, they charge in most cases. 4-5 times more on shipping for parts that are small and light in weight.
                Here’s the kicker - For example: you have a plastic speedometer bezel that weighs a few ounces. It doesn’t cost any more than 7-10 dollars to ship from coast to coast. You’re going to charge $40 and add a $3.95 insurance rate on top of the $40 ? While also receiving commercial rates ? That is a total of at least 4-5 times the actual cost for every single item they sell. Unless, people they employee are making 30 dollars an hour to package and answer phones, it’s bs.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
              • barbee6043

Local Time:
                I been restoring Mopars since mid 80's and I bought 95% of my parts from local guy Harden's back then. I NEVER bought from Year One unless it was something I had to have and they were the only vendor. Their BS was buy $1000 of parts from them and get a what was it 10% discount. I told them I buy cheaper every day $50 orders than their discounted BS price for $1000 worth.

• pearljam724

Local Time:
                Good news for me...... once I buy this last part. My car is 1000% complete. Good luck to the rest of you

• Like Like x 1
                • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
                • pearljam724

Local Time:
                  I’ve done a few 100% restorations on other stuff. I’m done with that. I decided, it’s best to buy something fully or nearly fully restored and decide if that’s a decent deal. Most of the time it is. Even if you have to replace, upgrade or fix several smaller things.
                  Someone would have to have a lot of time, a ton of money to burn and a little insane to restore a Mopar B body today from ground up for themself.
                  20 years ago, those things made more sense from a personal or profit standpoint. Today, you’re gonna lose a lot. You have to accept it or not. In another several years, these cars won’t have good enough gas to run on. They will all be worthless garage trophies. People will say, “ Hey, you remember when you could drive these cars down the road ? “ We’ll be paying a premium for 10 percent ethanol, if we’re lucky enough it’s available. That we used to bitch about having to use. It’s very tough now, it’s getting tougher.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
                • BLK 68 R/T

BLK 68 R/T Well-Known Member

Local Time:
                  Wonder why Classic and YO can’t get the same shipping setup that Summitracing uses?

• J5 GTX

J5 GTX Well-Known Member

Local Time:
                  Came across something similar with RockAuto. Was going to buy an air filter for a 340. $2.59. Name brand,(fairly sure it wasn't fram). Went to checkout and it was $14.59 shipping. I bought it from my local Advance. Paid $6 and change.

• '68 Charger

'68 Charger Well-Known Member

Local Time:
                  I can ship 2 oz coast to coast for under $4.00 using USPS first class shipping.

Yes Year One can kiss my A$$ (I haven't had a bad experience with C.i. yet) with their BS discount gimmicks.

No way am I doing this to the kind people who buy parts from me. I never charge for labor, supplies or gas money for my shipping estimates. I will charge for materials on very large items like fenders, seats, AC boxes etc. but not for labor or for gas.

Yes, Year One SUCKS!!!!!!

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
                  • barbee6043

Local Time:
                    I admit I have been restoring. playing with these old Mopars since the mid 80's. I was driving the real deal back in the 60s. The hobby was fun when I started, few resto parts but good projects/drivers were relatively cheap and plentiful. Boneyards everywhere with old stuff.
                    Lots of resto parts I barely can afford and like said, I hate the high prices but being screwed on shipping is the last straw. YES Summit ships quick and cheap compared.
                    Just this AM I was reading in Hemmings Muscle mad of a 72 Cutless Olds a guy did, it listed some parts costs. $ 369 for a pair of front bucket seat upholstery!!!!!! When I look at the difference in costs of parts just makes me want to puke!!
                    The first old carI bought to restore and 1 or only 2 GM cars, and many, many dozens of Mopars , was a 68 442 in '84 for a $1000 that needed nothing!! Then I began my life long Mopar gig!!! What was I thinking!!??????????????????///

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
                    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.