• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Clutch

Nevada dan

Local time
9:20 AM
Reaction score
I’ve got a 383 , hotter than stock , 4.11 limited slip , 28” Mickey Thompsons and the stock clutch just smokes ,
What’s a good clutch that can handle it and fit without modifications

I've had just about every clutch on the market and my new favorite combo is the CF 2 plate and the Mcleod 500 series dual friction disc. I liked the Mcleod Street Twin but with the floater it wouldn't release clean enough for power-shifting down the track at full throttle.
I have a pretty stout 493 Indy head engine with a solid street roller and I haven't smelled that CF/ Mcleod combo in the past 2 years it's been in the car.
I'm only worried sometimes when it dead hooks at the track that something is going to give between the HEMI box and the Dana. I have a Strange CM shaft with 1350 joints so I'm pretty solid.

Gus

I run both the CenterForce dual friction and McLeod twin disc's. I like them both. The CenterForce will be fine for your power output.

Ive had the same center force behind 2 different engines for years. It takes lots of abuse and still works great. It is the duel friction type. Just remove the factory over center spring under the dash.

Is the pedal herder to push down with the duel disk

So between the mcleod and the center force , witch one would be smoother taking off for street use , I’m worried about them biting too fast on an easy take off

They both have about the same level of engagement but the Mcleod dual disc is way more expensive. The standard Centerforce Dual friction would be good for your application.

Gus

Is the pedal herder to push down with the duel disk
They both have about the same level of engagement but the Mcleod dual disc is way more expensive. The standard Centerforce Dual friction would be good for your application.

Gus
This response is spot on. The McLoed is rated for more hp, and costs more because of that, but not needed for the op's application.

Unless your new setup comes with a flywheel, get yours surfaced. Don't be a dummy and skip this. Unless you like wrestling with a trans because you have to pull it out again because the clutch chatters. Replace the pilot bushing too.

If you fall into the trap of buying more clutch than you need for a street/strip application, it will make your car harder to launch when you take it to the track. More clutch than you need also inflicts un-necessary wear/tear on your drivetrain.

A twin disc will typically have a soft pedal and be easy to casually drive, but the excess clutch capacity will give you bog/spin problems at the track. A single dual friction disc should be plenty for most NA 383's and have good street manners, add a 'tamer if you want to draw out more track potential.

Grant

If you fall into the trap of buying more clutch than you need for a street/strip application, it will make your car harder to launch when you take it to the track. More clutch than you need also inflicts un-necessary wear/tear on your drivetrain.

A twin disc will typically have a soft pedal and be easy to casually drive, but the excess clutch capacity will give you bog/spin problems at the track. A single dual friction disc should be plenty for most NA 383's and have good street manners, add a 'tamer if you want to draw out more track potential.

Grant
Grant makes the clutch tamer.
Although it’s no picnic to install or tune, tried to run my car a couple times without it this year, and that is way worse.

Auto Transport Service
Back