• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

concealed radio idea...

Superb Bee

Local time
7:55 AM
Reaction score
OK, so putting dash boards together I have always played with the idea of a small hidden unit that can just be out of sight, super cheap, sound decent, and easy to use...
So playing with the 70 chargers dash, I couldn't bring myself to cut a radio into its rallye dash, instead I said better time now than ever to throw something together.. So to the bench I went, I made a small amplifier (out of left over parts from building many many sure amplifier kits, if you like soldering and are into audio devices and electronics, go to partsexpress and look into their amp diy kits, I have built many, they are fun and work forever, plus you build a nice little 30w amp for $15...).

Now my first idea was a plate that fit into the factory speaker location, In the center of the plate I installed a 4" peerless sds woofer, then on each side a 3" dr driver, then I powered it with the amplifier I made which was 3 channels, 2 summed channels going to a 40 watt class D circuit with a -80hz crossover, then 2 stereo channels going to a pair of 15w mono tripath amps, with a 80+ crossover (crossover simply is like a check valve, it doesn't let signal above 80 or under 80hz through or what ever level you choose, I crossed on the line input side since using small amps and crossing on the output side what kill my decibel levels).

So on paper that made a bunch of sense, the amp fit on a 7x8" board and even with mosfet heat sinks standing up was only 3" tall... It worked..

BUT heres the problem, it sounded terrible, since there is much more to making something sound good when mixing speakers than just bolting it all together in some aluminum plate I hole sawed to fit the components...

SO I FAILED.... And when I do this I normally revert to the KISS method, Keep it Simple Stupid

I went to amazon, I bought a dual voice coil 4x10
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VWH3LU6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1
and I bought a drok amplifier all built already...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0181Z4M4A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also added a cheap Bluetooth receiver I had laying around and it works awesome, its super easy to wire up any you don't have to use Bluetooth, you can simply run a 3.5mm headphone wire to your phone and use your phones volume control.
To wire you wire it to 12v on with key, the speaker has 2 voice coils so you get stereo sound out of a mono speaker, so it has 2 pos and 2 neg on the speaker just like the amp, pretty easy to hook up... Sounds good, the charger has a pypes exhaust and you can hear it over the exhaust...

There are other amp choices that are closed in a case but larger, like the lepy 2024 (or what ever they changed the numbers too) and Dayton make some others all about 4 times the cost of the drok unit...

PS I put an inline 3 amp fuse on the amp (just in case, so a $11 amp doesn't cause car B Q..

I took some pics but not sure how to add them here? I have a pic of bench testing it with db meter and it shows how to wire it and what everything looks like..

Just figured I would throw this out there incase anyone was looking for an idea about how to have a bit of tunes, another positive is you can run this amp for about 300 days before it kills your battery lol...

Interesting, but why not just have your factory radio gutted and retro fitted with a modern circuit board. That way you can have am/fm/aux/USB and Bluetooth. Did that on my 70 swinger and couldn't have been happier. Will be done to my 68 Coronet once I find a decent unit.

I bought one of those speakers at a show last year for $40 new in the blister - the vendor told me they retailed around $80. When I got home I Googled them and discovered Princess Auto (Canada's equivalent of Harbor Freight) was blowing them out for $3.99 !!! The only comforting fact was my local stores didn't have any.

Interesting, but why not just have your factory radio gutted and retro fitted with a modern circuit board. That way you can have am/fm/aux/USB and Bluetooth. Did that on my 70 swinger and couldn't have been happier. Will be done to my 68 Coronet once I find a decent unit.

I have one, I have a 70 1 year only b-body am all rigged up I can even choose the colors it lights up. I did it myself but to send it out would be $500 easy. I did it with Arduino first and then went old school and just gutted a new $45 2 knobber lol...

I don't use FM, I get in my Silverado and plug my phone in or my other car I hook in the Bluetooth and play Pandora, so really all I needed was something to amplify the sound from my phone, now again I could do this with a mobile little speaker also, lol... But this was something to play with and waste some time on, I'm happy with the outcome and figured I would share it..

I do agree with you though, having your factory radio updated is a nice feature, costly though. This is somewhere in the middle between doing something like that or buying a retro radio that fits in dash and just taking a 12v plug in speaker with you...

Figured it may help someone..

Agree, looks stock, sounds awesome. And its 4 channel stereo.

I bought one of those speakers at a show last year for $40 new in the blister - the vendor told me they retailed around $80. When I got home I Googled them and discovered Princess Auto (Canada's equivalent of Harbor Freight) was blowing them out for $3.99 !!! The only comforting fact was my local stores didn't have any.

lol, funny part is I was at an audio show about 2 years ago and a vender had cases of dvc 4x10's for what came down to like $5 each, and it was the furthest thing from my mind, not long after I am paying $40 for 1, lol.. It happens.. The speaker doesn't sound bad and has an ok sens rating so you don't need a ton of power to move it around...

PS the good news is at that Boston Audio show I did go home with a full car and got great deals on some junk I made into more junk, just bigger..

Agree, looks stock, sounds awesome. And its 4 channel stereo.
4 channel stereo, Quadrasonic, lol, I think that's an oxymoron...
This will be stereo in a single speaker, you will have left and right sound signals just from one source...

I definitely do agree, but in keeping the car stock and not gutting a hard to find 1 year only radio that probably can never be restored to the original state is a turn off for some people, PLUS the cost may be inhibitive. This is a cheap, easy alternative, a nice option justified by cost and keeping your cars stock part in tact...

I go out of my way to restore a stock engine for a reason, if I want a punched out, aluminum head, stroker, I wont do it to the numbers matching block..

My 70 dart radio is a 1yr only unit. Rallye dash 340 car. Took me a while to find one that wasn't crazy money. My thought was, " who the hell would want a stock AM unit anyway, at least now you can enjoy some tunes while banging gears" !

I considered going another route on my 68 Coronet because finding a decent 68-69 B-body thumbwheel hasn't been easy. Also looked at the retrosound redondo for that car. Right now is just an empty how in the dash, speakers are in and wired already ...

I've been looking at one of these, anybody got an opinion on it.....

s-l1600.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RetroSound-...ash=item5431e59af0:g:ZDoAAOSwc1FXbZMo&vxp=mtr

Richard a friend of mine has the RS in his 70gtx, I never heard him complain about it. I think for the price (I think it was $300) its a good option for sure..

Auto Transport Service
Back