• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another hobby... Guitars!

747mopar

Local time
2:56 PM
Reaction score
I've had a love for electric guitars since the 80's and always wanted to give it a shot, I finally did. Started off cheap figuring I wouldn't stick with it and bought a new Jackson js22 and a Marketplace Peavey Vypr3 amp. I've since upgraded to an LTD MH1000 and a Marshall dsl40cr amp, I should have jumped in long ago.. so much fun! Lot's to learn...
IMG_20230520_164732663_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230330_110913705.jpg

I played guitar from 1986 til... 2016.. then switched to drums, honestly i wish i had never touched a guitar, i play drums 2-3 hours every single night and love it more than anything.
The only guitar stuff i have is my '74SG which i have had since 88.. and a custom amp i had built into a old princeton chassis (50w traynor transformers and el34s) It's all bout what ya like.. just don't end up with 50 guitars packed ina room :) it's easy to do

I played guitar from 1986 til... 2016.. then switched to drums, honestly i wish i had never touched a guitar, i play drums 2-3 hours every single night and love it more than anything.
The only guitar stuff i have is my '74SG which i have had since 88.. and a custom amp i had built into a old princeton chassis (50w traynor transformers and el34s) It's all bout what ya like.. just don't end up with 50 guitars packed ina room :) it's easy to do
Yes, I'm already seeing how that could be an issue. I find myself looking often but I told myself 3 guitars is the limit, Super Strat (already have), an Explorer style then an LP. Fortunately I'm pretty narrow minded with my music, rock, heavier rock and metal so no need for a ton of guitars or amps.

Is that a "Metal Zone" pedal?

My Marshall 75 watt 1x12 sounds just like Judas Priest without anything else.

If you like those Jacksons and ESP's, try a Schechter.

I've been playing since I was 16 in 1984, but let it atrophy while I pursued my IT career.

Now it seems like it's hard to find the time to play.

Speaking of Judas Priest- the advice I always give to anyone (especially metal heads) starting out is-

Buy or download British Steel, and play along with it.

It's not terribly hard but the whole album is a GREAT lesson in timing, execution, and song structure.

I’ve been going since about 10 years old.. took a few years off for sports then back.. here’s a few..
and an amp I built. All hand wired 100 watts pure earbleeding vh tone!
IMG_4288.jpeg
IMG_3671.jpeg

Is that a "Metal Zone" pedal?

My Marshall 75 watt 1x12 sounds just like Judas Priest without anything else.

If you like those Jacksons and ESP's, try a Schechter.

I've been playing since I was 16 in 1984, but let it atrophy while I pursued my IT career.

Now it seems like it's hard to find the time to play.

Speaking of Judas Priest- the advice I always give to anyone (especially metal heads) starting out is-

Buy or download British Steel, and play along with it.

It's not terribly hard but the whole album is a GREAT lesson in timing, execution, and song structure.
I had a guy come over to show me a few things, he had a Schecter Hellraiser.. I didn't like the feel of it. It was very blocky and heavy feeling. I think it's one of their less expensive guitars so maybe others would feel different?

I really like the Jackson necks, that extra nut width is very helpful for my mechanic hands plus the neck shape is comfy.

No the Marshall does not need that pedal (Boss ds1), I bought the pedal when I was playing through my dad's Roland keyboard clean amp but don't use it anymore.

First song I learned was Enter Sandman but after that I started learning AC/DC to learn chords. I'm only up to a dozens songs but every song has been geared towards something I feel I needed to practice. I'll have to check that out though.

I had a guy come over to show me a few things, he had a Schecter Hellraiser.. I didn't like the feel of it. It was very blocky and heavy feeling. I think it's one of their less expensive guitars so maybe others would feel different?

I really like the Jackson necks, that extra nut width is very helpful for my mechanic hands plus the neck shape is comfy.

No the Marshall does not need that pedal (Boss ds1), I bought the pedal when I was playing through my dad's Roland keyboard clean amp but don't use it anymore.

First song I learned was Enter Sandman but after that I started learning AC/DC to learn chords. I'm only up to a dozens songs but every song has been geared towards something I feel I needed to practice. I'll have to check that out though.

That Jackson/Charvel neck is exactly why I mentioned the Schecter.

For decades I was "spoiled" to the neck profile on my 1986 Charvel Model 2.
Any time I played a Fender, I found it too thin, and any time I played a Gibson, I found it too wide.
The Charvel was perfect.

I played a 2012 Schecter Sunset Deluxe FR (basically a fat strat) around 2015 and couldn't believe how nearly identical the neck was to my beloved Charvel.
I fell in love and bought it on the spot.
It has replaced my model 2 as my main guitar because of the Floyd Rose.

In related news, I've been collecting $100 pawn shop "iconic style" Epiphones.

They have apparently redesigned their necks (not sure when in the past 25 years) and they are not nearly as wide.

I've picked up an SG, which I play a LOT, a Les Paul Special II SE, and a Flying V.

I play very little but I sure have been eyeing Les Pauls lately.

burst.jpg

img_1_1661180041382.jpg

Les paul burst and flames2.jpg

I really got into guitars while in high school and through the early 2000s, but haven’t played since then. I’d bought a Peavey Mace half stack back as a teen with dreams of being a rock star, but of course that never happened, and I sold it 7 or 8 years ago which left me with no amp.
I have a Les Paul Custom and a Standard, and bought a Charvel Model 4 new in the late 80s. While searching Challenger car parts on eBay 20 years ago, I ran across the Gibson Challenger guitar and decided I had to have one. It’s the double humbucker pickup version, then I spotted a 3 single coil pickup version and bought it, thinking I’d sell the double humbucker one but never got around to it.
I still would like to find a new home for it, but given how hard it’s become to sell stuff now with eBay basically unusable and my refusal to join Facebook, along with shipping service issues, I probably never will sell it.
I also have a Ovation Celebrity guitar I bought in the early 90s I’d love to find a new home for.
I picked a little practice amp as an anniversary gift last year but yet to unbox it. Someday I hope I can get motivated to play again!!

All the way back in the 80's, I thought Mopar graphics would look great on guitars.

1687539579184.png

Interesting- that guitar appears to have a "D dropper" on the E string along with a FR trem.

First thing I did to my Model 2 around February 1987.

Probably devalued it.

1687540157207.png

I have since found out it has a lower serial number than any on record at the Jackson/Charvel MIJ registry.

A LOT lower.

In related news, I've been collecting $100 pawn shop "iconic style" Epiphones.

They have apparently redesigned their necks (not sure when in the past 25 years) and they are not nearly as wide.

I've picked up an SG, which I play a LOT, a Les Paul Special II SE, and a Flying V.

I play very little but I sure have been eyeing Les Pauls lately.

View attachment 1483753

View attachment 1483755

View attachment 1483756

An LP is high on my list after I get me an Explorer style guitar.

Explorer is one I don't have.

...but now I'm looking.

I'm not really a Tele guy either but I happened into a G&L ASAT that was pretty sweet and ended up giving it to my boss , who is a Tele guy and was kind of back burner looking for one.

He didn't know what it was, so I got to explain the whole Leo Fender thing and how it was "from the hand of the master" and basically a "real", modern Tele.

I had a Fender Nashville tele for a few years. Just one guitar I could not get used to. Maybe it was just that one specifically but didn’t like the way it played at all. Never went back to them! That’s when I bought my Gibson Gold Top! I still have that one!

A buddy of mine just sent me this site this morning! If anyone has 8K AU to drop here you go! Pretty neat but I’m good!

Untitled

Auto Transport Service
Back