• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another hobby... Guitars!

I bought the blue Epiphone. Real good shape although it could use a tune up. You guys do your own set ups or take them into the shop? What's that run for price. Mine could use nut and bridge work. I adjusted the truss rod which helped a bit. I think I might have a high fret on the low E because I get a little buzzing. I do have a tuner and fret polishing kit coming. I don't know if I should buy the set up tools and nut files or not. This one should be fine for me. Not too expensive or fancy but good enough to learn on.

View attachment 1537764
Nice looking axe, Mike. I would take it in to a luthier to have it re setup. But that’s just me!

I just read this book by Billy Gibbons. It has 3 sections. His life, his cars, and his guitars. I think most of you guys would like it.

1696977107596.png

I bought my first guitar in 1986. Many more since, and I haven’t sold any. Here’s a few.
7750B636-235E-4E51-A319-172482C8F159.jpeg
EFB91FB4-90A3-48C0-936E-960D51C84EA0.jpeg
E70DA642-DAA4-4E8A-9CB7-DF4E7B8A8282.jpeg
E3F2B6CD-34CF-4D03-A2FC-FF2D51D56202.jpeg

1st fret buzz on the low E is pretty common.

I've "hacked" it away a few times by putting a small piece of paper under the string on the nut.
Started with a single, larger piece than kept folding it until the buzz was gone.
Once you establish the needed thickness, it can be cut down as small as possible.
WAY cheaper than a professional.

...but it IS a hack.

Last edited:
I bought my first guitar in 1984. '84 Squier Strat- the last year the tooling was identical between Fender and Squier, but Squier was MIJ.

I traded that one away and wish I had it back, and gave away another (early 1990's BC Rich Strat) to a good cause- a younger guy just starting out with some potential.

@440 PHIXX

Those Charvel Strats play GREAT, don't they?

That was my second purchase, an '86 Model 2.
(It has a lower serial number than the lowest on record at the MIJ Charvel site- much lower!)

Is that ESP a George Lynch model?

@440 PHIXX

Those Charvel Strats play GREAT, don't they?

That was my second purchase, an '86 Model 2.

Is that ESP a George Lynch model?
Yes! They do! The Slime Green and Pegan Gold are USA Pro Mods, The red and yellow are Mexican. As I get older though I’m starting to appreciate a bigger neck profile. But I can switch back and forth.

Yes! They do! The Slime Green and Pegan Gold are USA Pro Mods, The red and yellow are Mexican. As I get older though I’m starting to appreciate a bigger neck profile. But I can switch back and forth.

That's what I liked about the Charvel neck.

It was unique- and right in between the fat but shallow Gibsons and the deep but narrow Fenders.

Just right, and not like anything else.

...until I played a Schecter around 2012. It took a couple decades, but most Schecters I've played feel 99% like a Charvel neck.

They're really great, and my personal favorite brand. I have the Candy Tangerine USA Pro Mod with rosewood fretboard. I've also had a Fiesta Red Wildcard USA also with rosewood board, both of which are are pretty tough to find as they're the only early USA models with the rosewood. My 2 fav's are the MIJ pro mods though. Just a touch better in quality and the rolled edges give it that silky smooth feel.

I see you also have an Adrian Smith Jackson, and that's been on my wants list for a while. The pagan gold in particular would be my first choice, but the white with ebony fretboard would also work.

Last edited:
I am now ready to sell off most my guitars, mostly 60s fenders kinda rare collectables, and others. Probably 15 or more total, going to keep the ones i actually play.
Any recommendations on where to sell?

I am now ready to sell off most my guitars, mostly 60s fenders kinda rare collectables, and others. Probably 15 or more total, going to keep the ones i actually play.
Any recommendations on where to sell?

Yeah, reverb.com

I know it's not a guitar, but is anyone into, or familiar with banjos ?

Y'all might want to post some of your performance videos?
- a frustrated ape that tried to play (me)

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back