• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cone Type Sure-Grip

Fran Blacker

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:13 PM
Reaction score
Just put a cone type sure-grip in my 66 8.75 diff never used a cone type before. Backed off axle adjuster a turn or a turn and a half before I put axles in and no side play. Put in left axle first seemed to have a little resistance going in, some persuasion was needed. Loading springs? Right axle went fairly easy. If this is normal I'll just tighten adjuster until snug. Would've looked in mymopar but have a glitch with computer I download a PDF file and can't open it, missing plugins waning pops up? Reinstalled acrobat reader no help, can open old ones though.

FWIW I've installed several of the cone style diffs. through the years and didn't experience any resistance that I recall.

Possible the inner spline wasn't quite in line with the outer.
489SGGears.jpg

Note what RRR say's in regards to the bottom 2 pictures...….
https://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/ams/how-to-recondition-a-sure-grip-cone.28/

Last edited:
I always backed off adjuster “a lot” before an install. Couple “taps” with a hammer on left side and then adjust the rt.side. Never a problem

I always backed off adjuster “a lot” before an install. Couple “taps” with a hammer on left side and then adjust the rt.side. Never a problem
Decided to walk away for the day any ask questions. I'll back off adjuster some more and try again.

Fran, I know I own a ‘68; but current pumpkin is a cone type. Mine has green bearings now, BECAUSE the better-half cleaned the garage one day. Lost the finger locker. That’s my story till I die!

Fran, I know I own a ‘68; but current pumpkin is a cone type. Mine has green bearings now, BECAUSE the better-half cleaned the garage one day. Lost the finger locker. That’s my story till I die!
AND, it was laying right in front of u-bolts on rt. main leaf. I remember VERY vividly! My mind is at peace.

Well backed off adjuster so about double the thread was showing, no side play. So after much effort removed both axles, why? Quit garage work, time for research.
65 to 67 axles are 28 7/8" 68 to 70 are 29 3/16". 65 to 67 housings are 54 1/4" 68 to 70 housings are 54 15/16". So by my calculation the ends of the 68 to 70 axles are 11/16" further apart. So M.O. is cone Sure-Grips won't go in earlier housings without shorting the axles. I'm going to pull the clutch Sure-Grip out of the 4.10 chuck I just removed and put it in my 66 742 3.23 chuck. Never saw anything about a problem switching from clutch to cone, has anybody?

Don’t lose the thrust button in the middle. ( green brg-remove it)

Not doing green bearing. Just going to put the clutch Sure-Grip in and make sure buttons there. Just a pain in the ***. The 4.10 gears were pretty noisy, going to check gear pattern before I remove them.

Auto Transport Service
Back