• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cooling system problem

Local time
9:12 AM
Reaction score
My 440 is having a cooling system problem. No Heater, so it's been blocked off. It periodically pukes up it's antifreeze. I can't see any sign of water in the oil, car seems to run ok, no smoke in the exhaust. Any suggestions
received-315936349871340.jpg

Sticking t-stat, air pocket in engine? Need more info as to how often&when it happens.

Aluminum rad and flex fan, runs nice and cool about 185* l think

I topped it up and ran for a few mins with the cap off watching and it burped and puked up a bunch of antifreeze

Well then, weak rad cap could be problem. Flex fans I don't like tho.

It's a factory flex fan l picked off an old Diplomat iirc. I works great. Head gasket was what l was thinking but it seems to be periodical

Liquid level 1" below the filler neck. As soon as you see flow you know the T stat opened. Put the rad cap on immediately or you'll wear coolant. Just a fact. What is your temperature gauge telling you. You said it puked, I figured out the cap dump tube but apparently you didn't even have the cap on.

My Superbird kept puking out the cap relief on shut down after long cruises. Turns out it was just a weak cap.

Don't fill radiator "Full". Coolant level is "supposed" to be 1" below bottom of filler neck. This allows room for expansion. If it pukes a little, don't refill, drive it a few more times and check for puking. As above, also ensure good 14-16 lb cap.

Right, the cap was off, l was watching for bubbles. The overflow tube runs into a catch can. I'm going out to check a few things. I'll keep you posted

You cannot leave the cap off or it will erupt on a perfect working system.

Yeah, I agree with R413. You need to be SURE what your coolant temperature is. Just looking at the picture, I would suggest a fan shroud and stock fan/clutch (seriously). Something in your cooling system isn't just right. Don't freak out over a head gasket leak unless you blow white smoke and get milky tan looking crap under your oil filler cap. Running more water and less antifreeze will cool better. More air flow cools better. Cleaner tubes (e.g. flush) cools better. More coolant flow cools better. What temperature does it hit at idle with the cap on? In stop and go traffic? Cruising on the highway?

Use a pressure system checker. Pump it up till you get to 13 pds. Watch it if it feels quickly you have a leak in the system. If it holds your pressure for 15 mins your cap is bad. Also take the advise from above. One inch gap from the top. All cooling systems must expand and if you have the system completely full only one place for coolant to go. If you worried about head gasket after you pressurized the system pull the plugs out and turn the engine over by hand and look for coolant coming out of plug holes. Just a thought probably over thinking it. Good luck

It has a large flexalite alumimium rad, it seems to run about 185* on the Hwy or stop and go traffic. I've never had a overheating problem. The radiator overflow isn't a recovery system just a catch can. I'm going to take it in to a local shop on Monday and get them to do some pressure tests. I'll let you know what turns up.

It has a large flexalite alumimium rad, it seems to run about 185* on the Hwy or stop and go traffic. I've never had a overheating problem. The radiator overflow isn't a recovery system just a catch can. I'm going to take it in to a local shop on Monday and get them to do some pressure tests. I'll let you know what turns up.
Do you have an O'Reilly or Autozone etc nearby? They have the tester there. Super easy. Takes 15 minutes, that's the 15 to see if it leaks down.

Auto Transport Service
Back