• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cooling System Update - 1965 Satellite

MoparForLife

Local time
11:24 PM
Reaction score
EDIT: So sorry for the omission, I have the shroud installed.

I’m still fairly new to the site and very much still learning but I want to say thank you for all the great advice.

I was researching cooling issues late last year for my newly acquired 65 Satellite with the 426 Wedge and ran across multiple threads with some great info. I took a little from here and there and I’m hopeful my running warm issues in the North Texas heat have been resolved.

So I started with flushing, reverse flushing and did it again for good measure. The car was in a private collection and wasn’t driven much. I swapped the non-correct 4 blade fan that came on the car for a 7 blade fan w/clutch from Mancini, sent my radiator to Bob at Glen-Rey for the ultra cool treatment, Flow Kooler water pump, and threw in an in-line cooling filter for good measure! My only reservation is the clutch seems to really slow the fan down but so far no issue with keeping the temps down.

As you can see, the filter has been catching all types of debris as you can see in the pics. I have some water wetter in reserve just in case.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...EHdwzoXZw-VtltbXUTNpkOqp5YzLJ1LBoClJsQAvD_BwE

We’ll see how she handles the North Texas summer heat and humidity in the coming months!

13210290-55C2-48F4-8B7D-31CBAB81B3D2.jpeg 5435531B-A857-4F20-BD03-AC171B4190AD.jpeg CC2ACE76-404F-4E49-98B0-B3B15FC11407.jpeg A5CDF951-5DD3-4C69-BEB6-636691B7C096.jpeg 2D25C95F-6D7B-48CF-A5BD-761552340F83.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks like a Great set-up from here ! The only thing I would add is a shroud for it. Bob S may be able to help you with that if you can't find one local to you...

It might just be the pic but the fan looks way too close for comfort to the radiator.

Was thinking the same as Kilrbee. You want at least 3/4" between the front of the clutch housing and the radiator. Especially if you are running stock rubber motor mounts and not solids.

Last edited:
It might just be the pic but the fan looks way too close for comfort to the radiator.

That’s what I love about this site, y’all don’t miss anything and are so knowledgeable which is very much appreciated by a novice such as myself.

I went back and forth, clutch vs no clutch but I really wanted to try it with the clutch so it’s a little closer then I would prefer. It’s 3/4” from the radiator w/clutch and we’ll see how she does in the summer heat/humidity. If she runs warm, I’ll pull the clutch and use a spacer to get me to the preferred 1” mark.

Fingers crossed, we’ve had some warm days already and she’s been good even sitting in traffic but time will tell!

Thank you again for the feedback and looking forward to meeting you in person for those attending Carlisle.

If you get a chance stop the Glen-Ray swap spots and say HI to bob...

Auto Transport Service
Back