• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cordoba sells for almost 40K at Mecum

Mecum is a car show for us bottom feeders!!

When you put a whole bunch of fancy cars all together at one spot, and have an auctioneer and have a bunch of people with money and an open bar......
I would not call us bottom feeders. More like common sense people. If I had that kind of money, and no idea how to work on it, what would be the point? My feeling is just looking at it may be fine, but you never connect with it in the sense if you know it's little quirks that the car may develop one day, yes, you could take it somewhere to get it repaired, but, no fun in that.

I bought a 79 new, it was right around 10K with T-tops, "rich Corinthian leather" interior as Ricardo Maltaban called it and all the options. It had a 400 which I thought was a real dog. It did go fast enough to centerpunch a utility pole and knock my front teeth out though. I have never gotten used to those seat belt thingys. There may have been several many beers involved too.
Thank God you had a supply of pain medication in your system!
Mike

The open bar may explain why some of those cars get bought at huge prices, next day hangover ; WTF did I buy ??
What many don't realize is that many of these heavy hitters in the hobby who buy and sell at the auctions trade these cars like stocks. They often buy a car or cars as a tax strategy, so they can come ahead paying what we see as paying stupid money.
We can blame excessive alcohol consumption but in many cases these guys know what they're doing and financially end up richer after buying and selling high end cars.
I couldn't find the thread I remembered on this Cordoba when I did a search, but when I was typing this reply, I noticed it in my "similar threads" feed at the bottom of the page. No wonder I remember it, I started that thread.
Nice low mile Cordoba on BAT

I got some ocean front property in Arizona Id like to sell to the buyer! A fool and his money
Of course you are entitled to your opinion....
Normally, I'd agree but with changes in society going away from what we like or recognize, looking back is a whole lot more pleasing than looking forward.
Nostalgia sells. Many of us grew up with not just the legendary 66-72 cars but also the ones from the mid 70s.

I bought a 79 new, it was right around 10K with T-tops, "rich Corinthian leather" interior as Ricardo Maltaban called it and all the options. It had a 400 which I thought was a real dog. It did go fast enough to centerpunch a utility pole and knock my front teeth out though. I have never gotten used to those seat belt thingys. There may have been several many beers involved too.
Beer seems to have affected your memory.

01 funny 6.jpg

The 400 wasn't available in cars or trucks for the 1979 models. It was still available in RVs until the supply of engines ran out.

My mom had a '78 with those wheels. The thing never ran right. Was always in the shop getting tune ups and carb rebuilds. My dad had a blue '77 that ran perfect all the time. Not a $40,000 driving experience though.

Had one back in the disco days, had a 300 years later. So, I came across this look-a-like a few years ago. This original unrestored car could take me coast-to-coast in comfort. I like it. But nobody would even pay 10 grand for it.

New Cordoba 011.JPG

Have a list of the worst cars I bought and both Cordoba’s I bought are on it…a 76 I think having some goofy plug-in computer lean-burn command center and an ’80. On the fair side, the ’76 was beat to chit which I should have paid more attention to getting a ‘deal’ on it in early ‘80’s. That command center went bad and was shocked how much it cost to replace it, not being cash rich. I took a chance buying one at a bone yard for 150 bucks, still hard money then on a limited income and house payments (at 18.5% interest). My wife was driving out of a parking lot and something in the front suspension broke causing the wheel to list at 30-degrees. Can’t recall what it was anymore, but that car went bye-bye on the ‘80. Problem was that one had a six and horribly underpowered with carb issues I putzed with to unsuccess. Might a done 40-seconds in the ¼ with a good tailwind. If it had been a 318, could have been a better story; my dad bought an early 80’s Diplomat with the 318 and had several years of good running. So ended my Doba dayz.

Not surprising. I remember when you could pick up clean ‘70-‘71 Dusters for about $1200.

And folks with very nice, low mileage 1979 Chrysler 300 (Cordoba platform) can't get anywhere that much money for their cars.

1979 Chrysler 300, the Rodney Dangerfield of Mopars.

Even the K-car guys look down their noses at us.

Oh, the humanity!

Mine has been Uber reliable and still has the factory original "Electronic Spark Control":

s-l1200~2.jpg

And folks with very nice, low mileage 1979 Chrysler 300 (Cordoba platform) can't get anywhere that much money for their cars.

1979 Chrysler 300, the Rodney Dangerfield of Mopars.

Even the K-car guys look down their noses at us.

Oh, the humanity!

Mine has been Uber reliable and still has the factory original "Electronic Spark Control":

View attachment 1587325
My 79 300 I had probably 30 years ago was one of the BEST cars of many I've owned. My disco Doba in the 70's was a reliable car. And my current one I stumbled across on a whim, is a great highway car. We used to swap out the lean-burn in the garage back in the day. My current car still has all the original lean-burn, and it works flawlessly.

Problem was that one had a six and horribly underpowered with carb issues I putzed with to unsuccess. Might a done 40-seconds in the ¼ with a good tailwind. If it had been a 318, could have been a better story; my dad bought an early 80’s Diplomat with the 318 and had several years of good running. So ended my Doba dayz.
Don't recall a b-body Cordoba available with a /6. The lean-burns were a problem then. Mount a rudimentary computer-board above the engine heat.... duh !

It has over stuffed seats that put you in the mood.
I knew a car dealer that went to auctions and drank too much. I knew his mechanic, so I saw some of the junk he brought home. I once drove a 56 T-bird across town for him. I don't know what the previous owner did to it, but I was afraid for my life
It has over stuffed seats that put you in the mood.
I knew a car dealer that went to auctions and drank too much. I knew his mechanic, so I saw some of the junk he brought home. I once drove a 56 T-bird across town for him. I don't know what the previous owner did to it, but I was afraid for my life
What many don't realize is that many of these heavy hitters in the hobby who buy and sell at the auctions trade these cars like stocks. They often buy a car or cars as a tax strategy, so they can come ahead paying what we see as paying stupid money.
We can blame excessive alcohol consumption but in many cases these guys know what they're doing and financially end up richer after buying and selling high end cars.
I couldn't find the thread I remembered on this Cordoba when I did a search, but when I was typing this reply, I noticed it in my "similar threads" feed at the bottom of the page. No wonder I remember it, I started that thread.
Nice low mile Cordoba on BAT
Actually I figured that....poverty sucks :)

Geez I got a 400 out of a 76 Doba sitting on a stand. It just double in value.lol

I absolutely hate to hear "lean burn" referred to everything in the late 1970's. The "Electronic Spark Control" was a different critter altogether...it was designed to operate near the preferred stoichiometric optimum ratio. It was NOT a lean burn system!!!

The "Lean Burn" was definitely lean.
The "ESC' was definitely NOT lean.

There is a difference!

Maybe me, and others, should put our '79 300 cars on a chassis dyno at some point. I think there will be some surprised people.

Auto Transport Service
Back