• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Coronet hood clearance w/440

DodgeDos

Local time
4:41 AM
Reaction score
I have a 66 Coronet with a 318 poly. Looking to put a 440 in it. I know it will fit and parts are available but how much room do I have before I put a dent in the hood. Hoping someone has measured this before I start pulling together the parts. I doubt I have room for an edelbrock RPM air gap with a decent filter. What will fit? A performer with a 3” filter? Another brand or combo? Any input is greatly appreciated.
Also, if you have any learnings for me I would appreciate it. Thanks

If the intake isn't any taller than 6 inches, it will fit under the hood with a 3 inch tall filter

I have the big block 361 in a 66 Coronet (factory), and it is close.
My hood insulation pad has a slight impression from a "stock" air cleaner. I wouldn't count on fitting a high-rise on it without expecting to modify the hood. I put a 1/2" thick insulating gasket under the Edelbrock 1406 and couldn't use the OEM air cleaner,,,,,,even if it could fit the 1406 throat.

No compromises on power.
Mike
IMG_1386.JPG
IMG_1763.JPG

My 67 is a original small block car with a transplanted 440.
I have a edelbrock performer intake with a thermoquad carb. 14 x 3 air cleaner with a drop base.
I have 1" of clearance ( measured).
If I was to add a spacer under the carb ect. I would switch to a 2" filter.
My air cleaner is just a cheap chrome summit one the top lid is concave up.
A guy could purchase a flat aluminum lid and gain close to one more inch of clearance.
20210502_084647.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks everyone! Will plan on the low profile manifold for now.

Auto Transport Service
Back