• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

correct colour for 1971 340 roadrunner engine

polywideblock

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:40 PM
Reaction score
have gotten answers varying from turquoise to Chrysler red to hemi (street) orange :eusa_think:
here is a pic that is supposed to be as it was dragged from the shed mid 95 where it sat from mid 80's

appears to be hemi orange and although I've replaced all the chrome with polished alloy I'm still aiming for a day 2 -3 car ,wheels, motor mods etc . so I would like to get the colour right so if I want to put it back to stock, I can "down the road " .

pic of engine bay as I got it 11.jpg

Going by memory, my old brain says it should be Hemi Orange. I remember 72 when they all changed to blue.

I have a friend with an original 71 challenger with a 340, motor has never been taken out of the car and it is street hemi orange.

Street Hemi Orange was used on the 340s in '70 and '71. My '70 and '71 340 Challengers were both Street Hemi Orange painted engines. I had both cars back in 1982 - 1983, long before people were concerned about that issue. The 1969 340 engines could be red, blue or orange, however. THAT was a strange year.

NO small blocks were Turquoise from the factory. That was a B/RB color through the 1971 MY on most non-HP big block engines.

Sorry Looked at guide wrong. 70-71 Street Hemi Orange Paint # 4349216 and 72-73 was Blue Paint # 4349217

street hemi orange it is ( and was) :eusa_think: thanks for the input :eek:ccasion14:

Auto Transport Service
Back