• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cracked Header

68HAVOK

Local time
1:16 AM
Reaction score
Have a pair of Hooker Super Comps on my 360 in my 68 Satellite. Just had the engine rebuilt and upon first start up for breaking in the cam they were glowing red hot. Since the drivers side conine to do so when car was just sitting at idle (obviously can't tell while driving). Well had an exhaust leak that came dur to the heat destroying the gasket on that header. Changed the gaskets yesterday for some copper ones. Once fI red back up exhaust leak was gone but noticed a Crack in the driver side header. Can this be welded and if so what's the longevity of such a fix?

IMG_20161009_1029519881.jpg

We're they literally "glowing red"? at idle or am I misunderstanding???

Glowing red seems like a lean condition.

The crack can be welded with mild steel. If the headers would be very old, heating and cooling over a long period of time, the carbon properties dissipate and welding/fusion becomes more difficult. That's when you can try brazing with a torch.

Also if it means anything, I had thheaders ceramic coated prior to engine build being done. They checked them over and said they were good to go, so did the engine builder. So I doubt they started out that way. They were on the car when I bought it and had some surface rust on them so I took them to be ceramic coated once I got the OK that they were not junk.

Glowing with ceramic coating?.....Yikes.

Auto Transport Service
Back